Kyle Whelliston on the problems of the MVC

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby MVCfans » December 9th, 2010, 3:55 pm

Great article today by Kyle Whelliston, most famous for his website- midmajority.com . I encourage everyone to read it and pass it along to your school athletic directors, coaches, and the MVC office.

link: Kyle Whelliston on the problems of the MVC

This season has been a crater among craters so far, league-wide. As of December 8, MVC teams are 3-11 against the SEC, ACC, Pac-10 and the Bigs (Ten, 12 and East), and were recently embarrassed by a 1-8 showing in the second annual Missouri Valley-Mountain West Challenge (thank you, UNI!). More frightening has been the performance against the others. The Valley is a perfect 15-0 against the Great West, Southland, Summit, SWAC and independents, but maintaining a .500 overall record has been difficult. As of press time, the MVC’s non-conference mark is a pedestrian 40-36. Teams aren’t even winning the games they’re supposed to win anymore
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Kyle Whelliston on the problems of the MVC

Postby valleychamp » December 9th, 2010, 4:30 pm

Great article.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby bigdawg » December 9th, 2010, 4:38 pm

I love that Whelliston actually likes the MVC and writes about us. It's too bad there aren't more positives right now. Maybe we need to reinstitute the scheduling edict.
bigdawg
All MVC
All MVC

Postby TylerDurden » December 9th, 2010, 5:06 pm

First, the teams aren't as good - but that's only one part of it.

There has been a significant change in coaches and ADs since 2005-06. With that has come a shift in scheduling philosophies.

If you value home dates against cupcakes more than playing good teams, you don't get bids.
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Snaggletooth » December 9th, 2010, 7:37 pm

bigdawg wrote:I love that Whelliston actually likes the MVC and writes about us. It's too bad there aren't more positives right now. Maybe we need to reinstitute the scheduling edict.

I don't think scheduling is the issue. MVC teams can't even beat who they have on their schedule now.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby AndShock » December 9th, 2010, 8:10 pm

Snaggletooth wrote:
bigdawg wrote:I love that Whelliston actually likes the MVC and writes about us. It's too bad there aren't more positives right now. Maybe we need to reinstitute the scheduling edict.

I don't think scheduling is the issue. MVC teams can't even beat who they have on their schedule now.

What's better, losing to 200+ RPI teams, or losing to 1-150 RPI teams?
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Snapshot9 » December 10th, 2010, 7:48 am

With as much as the Valley is losing this year, they should get better games next year! .... lol
Snapshot9
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby ihsi » December 10th, 2010, 8:59 am

I remember all the talk about the scheduling mandate back when it was in place and how successful it had been. What was Elgin's reason for stopping it? As we've seen without it, coaches seem pretty content to schedule gimmees and expect their fans to pay the bill for bad games so they can get easy 20 win seasons which is BS.
ihsi
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Turner » December 13th, 2010, 12:15 pm

I remember when SIU leveraged a football game against Indiana into a home basketball game in Carbondale. I wonder if other schools have tried to do the same?
Turner
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby iSASO » December 14th, 2010, 9:01 am

Gregg Marshall is NOT happy with the cupcake home schedule. It seems the only way teams will come to Koch Arena is for WSU to catch them during a road swing at the Big 12 schools in the region. And on the odd chance that decent team comes to town, they only do it once. That cuts down the pool of teams dramatically when you've played D1 ball for 50-60 years.
Random MVCFans.com member, circa 2007: "Gregg Marshall is in over his head in this conference."
iSASO
All MVC
All MVC

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball