Official 2017-18 MVCfans.com Prediction - 10th Place

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Who will finish in 10th place during the 2017-18 MVC men's basketball season?

Poll ended at September 27th, 2017, 2:26 pm

Bradley
No votes
Drake
37%
Evansville
53%
Illinois St
2%
Indiana St
5%
Loyola
No votes
Missouri St
2%
Northern Iowa
2%
Southern Illinois
No votes
Valparaiso
No votes

Total votes : 57

Re: Official 2017-18 MVCfans.com Prediction - 10th Place

Postby BCPanther » September 25th, 2017, 1:02 pm

I went Evansville. Theoretically, Drake's kids will play hard for their new coach and that energy might win an extra game. Can't say the same for Marty.

Realistically, they're both 3-15 or 4-14 type teams...
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Play Angry » September 25th, 2017, 4:52 pm

I went with UE here. I have a feeling Medved wins at least 5 games at DU this year, which should be enough to keep them out of the cellar.

Serious questions for the Aces fans: If Marty finishes 9th or 10th this season as most will project, is that finally going to end Marty's tenure or has a level of acceptance been reached where it would require some sort of off-court scandal for a change to take place?
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

Postby mule » September 25th, 2017, 5:00 pm

Play Angry wrote:I went with UE here. I have a feeling Medved wins at least 5 games at DU this year, which should be enough to keep them out of the cellar.

Serious questions for the Aces fans: If Marty finishes 9th or 10th this season as most will project, is that finally going to end Marty's tenure or has a level of acceptance been reached where it would require some sort of off-court scandal for a change to take place?

Blake is a fifth year senior this season. The university president is retiring in May 2018. Changes could be coming!
mule
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Tom Servo » September 26th, 2017, 8:06 am

Play Angry wrote:

For me, the biggest issue is his recruiting. Recruiting has become a problem these last couple seasons. It took him until August to find 12 players for this season, and he struggled to recruit in the spring of 2016 after having success during the 2016 season, which is the real head-scratcher in all this. Signing some impact players in the fall and playing the new guys he has on the team are the keys. I can tolerate a bad season if he plays the younger guys to let them develop and has a good recruiting class. I realize Evansville is going to have a bad season every now and then, it happens. But if he pulls a Captain Smith and goes down with the ship with the seniors playing the majority of the time (which I have a bad feeling we will see..), while the new guys rot on the bench, along with signing no one in the fall signing period; I honestly don't see how anyone could reasonably say he should return because in that scenario there is no hope for the future or light at the end of the tunnel so to speak.

Just my opinion, I'm sure there are some that will disagree.
Go Aces!
Tom Servo
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby pafan » September 26th, 2017, 9:15 am

Tom Servo wrote:But if he pulls a Captain Smith and goes down with the ship with the seniors playing the majority of the time (which I have a bad feeling we will see..), while the new guys rot on the bench

I forecast a 90% chance of this. And I voted the Aces 10th. :Bam:
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Postby E-Villan » September 26th, 2017, 11:08 am

Play Angry wrote:I went with UE here. I have a feeling Medved wins at least 5 games at DU this year, which should be enough to keep them out of the cellar.

There are a few who are satisfied, but the overwhelming majority of current and former Aces fans are more than ready to see the end of the Marty era. He has lost the community, and as important, the ability to recruit, as Tom has pointed out.

If Evansville is recruiting a kid, certainly someone else is as well. If you are a recruit, would you gamble your career with a coach that never achieved post season with the likes of Colt Ryan, Ballentine and Mock?

As a 40+ year supporter of this program, as was my Dad, and as a parent of an alumn, I am truly disheartened to see these predictions, especially with a veteran coach. Disheartened, but in agreement. There have been great strides in recent years, with facilities and arenas at the top of the league. For some reason though, the elephant in the room doesn't get addressed. Now, we have our president announcing a retirement after this school year. I am afraid he will simply kick the can to his predecessor, and we will endure at least another year of this.

As some of our ever upbeat posters point out, we haven't seen a game played yet. True..and I sincerely hope they are right in their optimism, but the track record and what I, and apparently the rest of the leagues sees coming ahead, indicates we are headed for a terrible season.
E-Villan
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Play Angry » September 26th, 2017, 2:44 pm

Thanks for the replies guys.
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

Postby ACECARD » September 26th, 2017, 2:58 pm

pafan wrote:
Tom Servo wrote:But if he pulls a Captain Smith and goes down with the ship with the seniors playing the majority of the time (which I have a bad feeling we will see..), while the new guys rot on the bench

I forecast a 90% chance of this. And I voted the Aces 10th. :Bam:

I don't think that there could be any other scenario. He has always favored seniors over underclassmen, which is OK if the senior is the better player. Sometimes they are not. Will most likely be voting the Aces ninth, and hoping for something better.
ACECARD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Red » September 28th, 2017, 12:42 pm

I assume we are skipping the vote for 9th? :dance:
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Shockerfan13 » September 28th, 2017, 1:32 pm

There should be a 10 way tie for 10th!
Last edited by Shockerfan13 on September 28th, 2017, 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shockerfan13
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball