FBI crackdown on "bribery, corruption, and fraud" in NCAA

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: FBI crackdown on "bribery, corruption, and fraud" in NCA

Postby VU2014 » October 21st, 2018, 2:51 pm

Drakey wrote:Did someone accuse UNI of doing something illegal?

UNI didn't do anything against the rules but everyone knows why Green got a nice fat extension last year. I'm sure other HCs reached out to ask about Green's interest to work on their staff. UNI isn't a bad spot being Jacobson's right hand man and if he decides to leave for "greener" pastures he might be the next guy in line for the job or Jacobson might take him with him.
VU2014
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby uniftw » October 21st, 2018, 8:26 pm

VU2014 wrote:

UNI didn't do anything against the rules but everyone knows why Green got a nice fat extension last year. I'm sure other HCs reached out to ask about Green's interest to work on their staff. UNI isn't a bad spot being Jacobson's right hand man and if he decides to leave for "greener" pastures he might be the next guy in line for the job or Jacobson might take him with him.

Yeah. Kyle’s son blew up out of no where right before his senior season he wasn’t a top 100 player before that. He wasn’t destroying the AAU world or HS scene before that. Only right before his senior season.

No one else couldn’t known so Jake kicked him up with a new contract.

Also Kyle is always looking for greener pasture. He hasn’t been with Jake at UNI since 2001. I mean there was that one time he did leave for a bigger school in the Big East and was back at UNI within a year because it wasn’t what he wanted. Then he was offered a HC/AD job at a D3. He also didn’t end up back atvUNI almost instantly because he and his family wanted to be at UNI.

Jake only signed Kyle because of his son

Almost identical to all these dads that get jobs with no real experience. I can’t believe we fooled as many people as we did.

That $1,607 raise he got and title promotion to associate head coach from lead assistant should’ve set off every alarm bell around.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Drakey » October 22nd, 2018, 11:28 am

uniftw wrote:
VU2014 wrote:

Yeah. Kyle’s son blew up out of no where right before his senior season he wasn’t a top 100 player before that. He wasn’t destroying the AAU world or HS scene before that. Only right before his senior season.

No one else couldn’t known so Jake kicked him up with a new contract.

Also Kyle is always looking for greener pasture. He hasn’t been with Jake at UNI since 2001. I mean there was that one time he did leave for a bigger school in the Big East and was back at UNI within a year because it wasn’t what he wanted. Then he was offered a HC/AD job at a D3. He also didn’t end up back atvUNI almost instantly because he and his family wanted to be at UNI.

Jake only signed Kyle because of his son

Almost identical to all these dads that get jobs with no real experience. I can’t believe we fooled as many people as we did.

That $1,607 raise he got and title promotion to associate head coach from lead assistant should’ve set off every alarm bell around.

I gather this is supposed to be facetious, but I truly can't figure out what you are trying to say other than UNI did nothing wrong to get their recruit.
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Adunk33 » October 22nd, 2018, 11:37 am

I don't think UNI did anything wrong. It's like how Anthony Beane decommitted from ILST to father his Dad to SIU. This stuff happens all of the time, and there is no way to police it unless the NCAA says, "No son may play for their father." That's not going to happen.

I am reminded of Doug McDermott's last year at Creighton. The team was out of scholarships and Grant Gibbs was granted a 9th or 10th year of eligibility. Doug gave his scholarship to Gibbs and became a "walk-on." Coincidentally, Greg McDermott got a raise weeks later.

No rule was broken. You just get into murky waters when families are involved. If you want to see this happen in real-time keep an eye on Michigan Associate HC Luke Yaklich. His son is supposed to be a BALLER. We'll see where he ends up.
Adunk33
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BCPanther » October 22nd, 2018, 1:10 pm

Adunk33 wrote:I don't think UNI did anything wrong. It's like how Anthony Beane decommitted from ILST to father his Dad to SIU. This stuff happens all of the time, and there is no way to police it unless the NCAA says, "No son may play for their father." That's not going to happen.

I am reminded of Doug McDermott's last year at Creighton. The team was out of scholarships and Grant Gibbs was granted a 9th or 10th year of eligibility. Doug gave his scholarship to Gibbs and became a "walk-on." Coincidentally, Greg McDermott got a raise weeks later.

No rule was broken. You just get into murky waters when families are involved. If you want to see this happen in real-time keep an eye on Michigan Associate HC Luke Yaklich. His son is supposed to be a BALLER. We'll see where he ends up.

Fun Fact: It was his 14th year of eligibility with the Jess Settles 'Gets to spend time with his grandkids' clause attached.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » October 25th, 2018, 1:48 pm

Drakey wrote:I gather this is supposed to be facetious, but I truly can't figure out what you are trying to say other than UNI did nothing wrong to get their recruit.

It is extremely facetious. Over the top so because Valpo fans want to think the reason for Kyle's promotion to AHC was related to AJ coming to campus while ignoring

1. Kyle wasn't involved in his recruitment to UNI. Ben, Kyle and AJ are all on record stating Kyle wasn't involved. Kyle also actively encouraged AJ to go all the way through the recruitment and go somewhere other than UNI if he wanted too. Schools flat out told AJ that they would offer him a scholarship but they didn't want to tie an offer up for a kid they were sure was going to UNI - even though Kyle and AJ both said he wanted to find the fit for him, even outside of CF.

2. Kyle has been at UNI since AJ was born. I can go on PantherNation and pull threads from when AJ was 6-7 years old as a ball boy for UNI and people talking about how crazy he is to watch during media time outs and half time. Even at 8-9 years old he was hitting college length 3s like it was a lay up. 4 years ago this thread was started https://www.panthernation.com/forum/spe ... ss-of-2018

Anyway to continue

Kyle was hired in 2001 - the exact same time as Jake (both came on with Mc$ - and served as an assistant from 2001-2003 and from 2006-2011. He is entering his 14th season as a member of the UNI coaching staff in 2017-18. AJ is 18...so 14 of 18 years of AJ's life have been spent in the UNI facility, and born in the Waterloo/Cedar Falls area. Kyle was hired while his wife was pregnant with AJ. UNI started playing the long game on the Green family at that point, clearly.

Kyle was an assistant in 01-02 and 02-03. He spent the 03/04 season as an assistant at Marquette and the 04/05-05/06 seasons as a HC at D2 Lewis.

When Mac left and Jake was made HC he brought back Kyle as his top assistant coach...EVEN back then we was Jake's top assistant.

https://lewisflyers.com/news/2006/3/27/032706aaa_875.aspx

March 27, 2006

ROMEOVILLE - Lewis University head men's basketball coach Kyle Green has resigned to accept a position as top assistant coach for the University of Northern Iowa men's basketball program.

Green, who succeeded Jim Whitesell in 2004, posted a 23-31 record in two seasons at Lewis. He will be serving a second tour of duty at Northern Iowa, where he was an assistant during the 2001-02 and 2002-03 seasons.

In the 2011-2012 season, Kyle once again tried life away from Cedar Falls and was the head coach at D3 Wisconsin-Eau Claire. He, and his family hated it and a year later he was renamed to assistant to Jake.

Oh...Kyle also has a daughter in HS that is probably good enough to play for the UNI's women team. Watch his wife get a job at UNI just to land her...even though she has an wildly successful chiropractic career. :roll: :D

So, Kyle has been Jake's top assistant since AJ was like 4. But yeah, totally that promotion in title in September 2017 was the reason we got AJ.

Just keep waiting

Jake has a couple boys of his own that are pretty good basketball players. They've spent their entire lives in Cedar Falls. The oldest is in HS now and will get varsity minutes at one of the largest high schools in the state (the same one AJ Green started at for 4 years and we have a teammate of AJ's coming in next year). The younger one, a 7th grader, is by all accounts ahead of AJ Green as a 7th grader.

UNI really played the long game just to land recruits there. Hired Jake 4 years before his first kid was born, just to promote him to HC and land this potential kid as a recruit in 2022 and 2024
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » October 25th, 2018, 2:32 pm

uniftw wrote:1. Kyle wasn't involved in his recruitment to UNI. Ben, Kyle and AJ are all on record stating Kyle wasn't involved. Kyle also actively encouraged AJ to go all the way through the recruitment and go somewhere other than UNI if he wanted too. Schools flat out told AJ that they would offer him a scholarship but they didn't want to tie an offer up for a kid they were sure was going to UNI - even though Kyle and AJ both said he wanted to find the fit for him, even outside of CF.

Come on now. Of course he was involved in his recruitment to UNI. He is the dudes dad.

I don't see why UNI fans need to even spend so much time trying to "defend" all of this anyway. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this even if Jake hired Kyle just to get AJ.

But to try to act like Kyle Green played zero role and had no say in his son going to UNI is ridiculous. If Kyle Green were not on staff at UNI AJ Green would not be attending UNI. It's really ok to admit this.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » October 25th, 2018, 5:02 pm

Sure his dad being here helped a ton.

It’s the insinuation that Jake promoted Kyle simply to get AJ. It’s like Kyle hasn’t been at UNI for 13 years. Hasn’t been Jakes right hand man from literally day 1. He was Jakes first hire when he became HC.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » October 25th, 2018, 10:46 pm

uniftw wrote:Sure his dad being here helped a ton.

It’s the insinuation that Jake promoted Kyle simply to get AJ. It’s like Kyle hasn’t been at UNI for 13 years. Hasn’t been Jakes right hand man from literally day 1. He was Jakes first hire when he became HC.

I agree. Whether Kyle was the top assistant or second assistant wouldn't have mattered.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby VU2014 » October 26th, 2018, 8:13 am

uniftw, cool your jets lol. No need to get all worked up. Maybe you missed the part where I said UNI didn't break any rules. I don't even think anything out of the ordinary happened. He probably was always going to play for his Dad's team. It's just how this business goes. It's family loyalty and I respect that. I was just saying that his dad getting an extension pretty much sealed his already very likely commitment to UNI and ensures that he'll be there throughout AJ's potential 4 years.
VU2014
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball