FBI crackdown on "bribery, corruption, and fraud" in NCAA

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: FBI crackdown on "bribery, corruption, and fraud" in NCA

Postby LanceShock » September 27th, 2017, 1:15 pm

unipanther99 wrote:The truth will come out soon enough for several programs. I expected to be surprised some are dirty, and surprised some aren't (or managed to hide it).

Speculating on specific programs (other than those already implicated) doesn't seem helpful at this point, but you know... off-season message board is gonna off-season message board.

Wise words.
LanceShock
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » September 27th, 2017, 1:20 pm

Exactly. No reason to turn it into a witchhunt without evidence.

The only programs who deserve the ire are the 7 the FBI has implicated:
Louisville
Arizona
Miami
USC
Oklahoma State
South Carolina
Auburn

Any fan would be wise to not throw others under the bus. If Jim Laranagga and Sean Miller are dirty, your coach could be too.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BEARZ77 » September 27th, 2017, 5:50 pm

Art Haines the MSU voice of sports on radio hosts his own 'Sport's Talk" call in show most weekdays from 4:00-6:00 pm. He had a gentleman on tonight supposedly somewhat familiar with the current investigations who said before it was all over he estimated it will involve at least 30% of the power 5 schools getting some form of sanction. I don't know; this has been going on for years and was hardly not a known issue, but the NCAA did nothing because they are afraid of the power 5 schools and their financial and political backers. The only reason it's happening now is that the FBI stepped in because of the blatant failure of the NCAA to be willing to police it. If the NCAA can find a way to curtail or soften the focus of the FBI in order to protect the Big Boys they will. Louisville was just too easy a target because of the on going sex scandal issues already being under investigation. The NCAA will throw a few programs under the bus in order to give the appearance of cleaning house, but you got believe some deals get cut somewhere to protect the overall power structure.

There is an obvious solution to this and that is to remove the money from the equation; that is remove the incentives for all the cheating, put all college sports under a uniform revenue sharing model for all dollars generated by Tournaments, Television rights, merchandising, etc, basically everything so that the playing field is level and the money generated goes to enhancing the opportunities for all student athletes across all D-1 programs. and return college sports to what is was meant to be instead of a huge business in whch coaches and a few Universities get rich. Won't happen, but it's what should.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby outpost » September 27th, 2017, 6:33 pm

uniftw wrote:Not that I think they were/we'd be able to find proof of it but it is always interesting when programs go from being pretty bad to all of a sudden signing classes just loaded of 4-5* kids every year as soon as a coach gets there.

Again, I'm not saying WSU did. Nor would they have been alone in it. There are plenty of other programs that fit this bill. Dayton, Western Kentucky, etc...

Easy there. Our conversion from doormat to kingpin of your league didn't happen overnight. There was a process involved. It started with Turgeon, and after going to the S16 in '06 the program saw a plateau. After Turgeon left the program in better shape than he left it, HCGM arrived. After a couple more mediocre seasons, the teams he put on the floor built some great chemistry and have moved forward in a big way. With mostly 3* players.

It's okay to take jabs at us because we left your league for something better. But don't go off making unfounded insinuations. You would be better off starting a campaign to replace Elgin.

That is all I'll add.
outpost
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » September 27th, 2017, 6:39 pm

Want some fun reading go to http://scout.com/college/louisville/Boa ... Yum-103990
Some realistic views there and some intertaining unrealistic views. Like how Brad Stevens is obviously the next coach. I don't think some of them realize they're pretty much a doormat for the next 10 years after this season. No quality coach is going there. No quality recruit is going there. They'll be a mid-major in a P5. I look forward to them getting eaten alive come this time next year.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » September 28th, 2017, 5:51 am

Update: Now Gregg Marshall wants to leave Wichita State and his possible FInal Four program to take over a program on the verge of the death penalty. Some of these people are seriously delusional.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby RacerJoeD » September 28th, 2017, 8:01 am

Here is our take on the scandal. Let me know what you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWm6nskmsbQ
RacerJoeD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Stickboy46 » September 28th, 2017, 11:23 am

uniftw wrote:
Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:
uniftw wrote:This is going to go much deeper than those 4 right now.

At the MVC level we should be alright - but let's not kid ourselves and pretend MVC level teams aren't doing some of the same kind of things. Most MMs that are doing the same type of thing are probably safe though as they probably aren't getting their money from their clothing supplier to get guys on campus.

I'd look for programs like WKU and Dayton to get looked at. WKU's whole thing with Michael Robinson this year is screaming for an investigation. Archie Miller being involved

Fingers crossed for Gregg Marshall and Wichita State.

Not that I think they were/we'd be able to find proof of it but it is always interesting when programs go from being pretty bad to all of a sudden signing classes just loaded of 4-5* kids every year as soon as a coach gets there.

Again, I'm not saying WSU did. Nor would they have been alone in it. There are plenty of other programs that fit this bill. Dayton, Western Kentucky, etc...

Isn't there a thread in the recruiting sub-forum bragging about how UNI just landed a higher rated recruit than anything WSU has? Guess we better toss UNI onto that list of cheaters.

(also of note, WSU hasn't had a 5* guy in Marshall's tenure, and only a handful of 4*. Marshall is known for coaching up players .. not landing expected recruits)
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » September 28th, 2017, 12:12 pm

It should be noted that UNI's highly regarded recruit is actually from Cedar Falls...you know, where UNI is. I think we can file that under exception to the rule. Some kids just want to stay home. It isn't like he chose to go to Savannah State or something like that. He chose to stay home and go to a school that is in one of the top mid-major conferences and has a recent history of success, including a Sweet 16 appearance, and beating both Kansas and North Carolina. I'd stay home too if I were given that option.
Last edited by Jsnhbe1Birds on September 28th, 2017, 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Stickboy46 » September 28th, 2017, 12:16 pm

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:It should be noted that UNI's highly regarded recruit is actually from Cedar Fall...you know, where UNI is. I think we can file that under exception to the rule. Some kids just want to stay home.

It was a joke .. i don't think either school is doing anything Shady. WSU's 2 highest rated recruits are from Wichita (Frankamp), and KC (Shamet). So that applies to both.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball