Best MVC Coach

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Best MVC Coach

Postby MSUDuo » October 19th, 2017, 8:37 am

Old School MVC wrote:Which game was it last year that Lusk had forgotten that Johnson was on his bench at the end of a game? I remember reading about it on here, but too lazy to look up which game it was.

The first DePaul game...the one where we blew a 13 point lead with just single digit minutes to go...he played a whopping 7 minutes in the second half and just 10 total.
MSUDuo
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Old School MVC » March 8th, 2018, 2:19 pm

I got thinking about this discussion from earlier and thought it might be a fun read going back to a topic again since Lusk is a main talk now. I wonder if many would rank their coaches the same way now as they did earlier in the year. I am sure Moser has moved up most people's rank, and wonder how many would still keep Jacobson as high as they had him.
Old School MVC
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BCPanther » March 8th, 2018, 2:51 pm

Old School MVC wrote:I got thinking about this discussion from earlier and thought it might be a fun read going back to a topic again since Lusk is a main talk now. I wonder if many would rank their coaches the same way now as they did earlier in the year. I am sure Moser has moved up most people's rank, and wonder how many would still keep Jacobson as high as they had him.

My biggest changes would be Porter moving up and Lansing moving down. Jacobson is still the best coach in this league by a long ways. It took him 12 years before he hit a play in game and he has a resume that no one can touch, also has the highest rated recruit in at least 10 years coming in next year. Yes, AJ Green is rated higher than Shamet, McDuffie, VanVleet, etc.

My current rankings-
1-Jacobson
2-Muller
3-Moser
4-Wardle
5-Hinson
6-Medved
7-Lansing
8-Simmons
9-Lottich (still a bit incomplete, but there were times where he was totally outmatched)
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BEARZ77 » March 8th, 2018, 3:40 pm

I don't think you can say it's a wide margin when a guy is only 27-27 in his last 3 years in the league. Others are recruiting better and getting better results including Moser and Muller. Jake still gets the nod based on history, but basketball is a results now oriented business; I would say 2018-2019 is an important year for UNI. They look like they could bounce back as they have a number of young veterans now to pair with incoming Green, but a middle of the pack finish and you have to start to say others have moved past him; not historically, but as far as effectiveness here and now.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Rambler63 » March 8th, 2018, 7:32 pm

BCPanther wrote:
Old School MVC wrote:I got thinking about this discussion from earlier and thought it might be a fun read going back to a topic again since Lusk is a main talk now. I wonder if many would rank their coaches the same way now as they did earlier in the year. I am sure Moser has moved up most people's rank, and wonder how many would still keep Jacobson as high as they had him.

My biggest changes would be Porter moving up and Lansing moving down. Jacobson is still the best coach in this league by a long ways. It took him 12 years before he hit a play in game and he has a resume that no one can touch, also has the highest rated recruit in at least 10 years coming in next year. Yes, AJ Green is rated higher than Shamet, McDuffie, VanVleet, etc.

My current rankings-
1-Jacobson
2-Muller
3-Moser
4-Wardle
5-Hinson
6-Medved
7-Lansing
8-Simmons
9-Lottich (still a bit incomplete, but there were times where he was totally outmatched)

AJ Green is rated exactly as high as 6'9" Franklin Agunanne from La Lumiere, who's coming in next year for Loyola at the PF spot. He'll be playing side by side with 3-star Krutwig, 3.3-star Christian Negron, and 6'7" New Mexico transfer Aher Uguak in what could be the league's best front court.

Moser is probably the best recruiter. He was well below average IMO as a game-day and strategic coach until 2015 (the CBI championship year) when he seemed to figure it out. He has improved a lot as a game-planner, and he's learned how to get motivation and high level buy-in from players.

Getting Loyola to the tournament is a feat that shouldn't be underestimated. From 1987 to 2001, Loyola had 14 straight years without a winning season. Moser is the sixth coach for the Ramblers since their last tournament appearance, with four coaches in between Gene Sullivan and Moser who came up empty on ANY KIND of postseason experience (no NCAA, no NIT, no CBI, no CIT, no Vegas 16) in their combined 22 straight seasons of futility.
Rambler63
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » March 8th, 2018, 8:17 pm

Moser made me eat crow.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Drakey » March 8th, 2018, 9:21 pm

BCPanther wrote:

My current rankings-
1-Jacobson
2-Muller
3-Moser
4-Wardle
5-Hinson
6-Medved
7-Lansing
8-Simmons

I don't see how you can bolster Jacobsen as a coach by the fact that one of his assistants happens to have a son who is really good. UNI would have had no shot at Green if not for his father's employment. I don't think Jacobsen has ever even had a three star recruit has he? He has been successful with that knock people around style of play, but I wonder if maybe it is becoming less effective over time. It's sure no easier to watch.
Last edited by Drakey on March 9th, 2018, 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

Postby pafan » March 8th, 2018, 9:34 pm

I didn't participate in this thread in the fall, but I'll throw out my thoughts at this point.

1. Jake is still #1. Yes, UNI struggled for a lot of this season. If there's one area where he seems to struggle, it seems to be player development through their careers.
  2. Porter moves up to #2. I always liked Porter, but he was kind of like Marty in the first few years in the MVC. One star player (Doyle) and not much else most nights. Loyola's recruiting for the last couple of years has been much better. Scheme has always looked good to me.
  3. Muller swaps spots with Porter. I'm not really sure how he keeps winning, but I won't argue with the results.
  4. Medved. Bigtime props for getting what was mostly the same roster as last year out of Thursday.
  5. Wardle moves down a notch. He did a good job executing phase one of the Geno Ford turnaround, but I'm starting to wonder where the ceiling is.
  6. Barry. Barry knows his players' limitations, and that helps him at the "chess match" aspects of the game. Recruiting for this year's team was good, but has been very spotty in years past.
  7. Lansing. It's the worst job in the Valley, and I guess he's doing well enough all things considered.
  8. Marty. I think next year someone should try guarding the Aces with this plywood cutout. Set it up across the free throw line.
  9. Vacancy - Empty chair moves MSU up one spot, for being less harmful on court than Lusk. Terrible recruiter though.
  10. Lottich - Needs time to grow into the job. I see potential.
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Postby Mikovio » March 9th, 2018, 7:33 am

BCPanther wrote:, also has the highest rated recruit in at least 10 years coming in next year. Yes, AJ Green is rated higher than Shamet, McDuffie, VanVleet, etc.

Actually Green matches 2014 Geno Ford recruit Josh Cunningham at #88 on the Rivals 150. Cunningham bailed when Wardle came in and is averaging 16/8 for Dayton.

1-Jacobson
2-Moser
3-Muller
4-Wardle
5-Hinson
6-Medved
7-Lansing
8-Simmons
9-Lottich
Mikovio
All MVC
All MVC

Postby LanceShock » March 9th, 2018, 7:53 am

pafan wrote:
  1. Jake is still #1. Yes, UNI struggled for a lot of this season. If there's one area where he seems to struggle, it seems to be player development through their careers.

Not sure what you mean by this. I've always thought that developing his players over the years is one of his strengths. When he has a group of players he has been able to work with for a few years, those teams tend to be really good.
LanceShock
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball