Best MVC Coach

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Best MVC Coach

Postby All-MVC Fan » October 10th, 2017, 3:03 pm

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:
All-MVC Fan wrote:
Old School MVC wrote:I completely disagree with those who consider him a good recruiter. I had him 5th out of 8 (did not count the two first year guys). I think he is heads and shoulders the best floor coach, but recruiter....not even close.

I assume you’re talking about Jacobsen, and if so, I can respect your point of view. I ranked him highest in recruiting because, while he doesn’t get the crazy athletic freak type players, he does a better job of recruiting players who can play his system than anyone else in the league. But I can see why others would disagree with me.

Getting players to play well in the system is an attribute of being a good floor coach not recruiting.

Not if you can’t find guys who can play in your system. You have to have the right players, you can’t fit a round peg into a square hole.
All-MVC Fan
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby bleach » October 10th, 2017, 5:43 pm

Lusk has had more success recruiting than Alize. Anyone remember Marcus Marshall, Austin Ruder, Chris Kendrix, etc. The problem is.......they all were run off.
bleach
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Old School MVC » October 11th, 2017, 12:39 pm

Which game was it last year that Lusk had forgotten that Johnson was on his bench at the end of a game? I remember reading about it on here, but too lazy to look up which game it was.
Old School MVC
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BTbird » October 11th, 2017, 1:53 pm

All-MVC Fan wrote:
Overall

1. Ben Jacobsen - 2 points
2. Porter Moser - 6 points
3. Dan Muller - 7 points
4. Barry Hinson - 7 points
5. Brian Wardle - 11 points
6. Paul Lusk - 11 points
7. Greg Lansing - 13 points
8. Marty Simmons - 15 points

I actually think that's a pretty accurate finding. A few you could argue, but overall, it's not too bad, if I do say so myself.

I'm kind of surprised how high you have Moser. He's had many years in the MVC and really hasn't experienced any success yet. I don't necessarily disagree with your comments about him though. I'm a big fan of PM by the way and this might be his year.
BTbird
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Drakey » October 11th, 2017, 2:44 pm

While Jacobsen has been successful, I also think his success is largely responsible for the recent sad level of play in the Valley. His system of overly aggressive defense, combined with the officials letting them get away with it, was the reason for his early success. This caused the style of play in the Valley to revert to the 1950's. I think his success caused other schools and coaches to start recruiting the same type of players and attempt to play the same style of game. The result was a bunch of plodding boring basketball, which is not attractive to most good players. This made it harder to recruit for everybody and lowered the caliber of players in the league. Hopefully some team that plays an exciting style of basketball can have some success this year.
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BCPanther » October 11th, 2017, 3:30 pm

Drakey wrote:While Jacobsen has been successful, I also think his success is largely responsible for the recent sad level of play in the Valley. His system of overly aggressive defense, combined with the officials letting them get away with it, was the reason for his early success. This caused the style of play in the Valley to revert to the 1950's. I think his success caused other schools and coaches to start recruiting the same type of players and attempt to play the same style of game. The result was a bunch of plodding boring basketball, which is not attractive to most good players. This made it harder to recruit for everybody and lowered the caliber of players in the league. Hopefully some team that plays an exciting style of basketball can have some success this year.

Yeah, I'd much rather lose pretty than win ugly... :huh:

Tell me how we're going to get high level athletes to spend winters in Cedar Falls, IA...
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » October 11th, 2017, 7:20 pm

Old School MVC wrote:Which game was it last year that Lusk had forgotten that Johnson was on his bench at the end of a game? I remember reading about it on here, but too lazy to look up which game it was.

I don't remember who we were playing that game? But it definitely happened. I was there. And Lusk admitted post game he forgot about Alize in the 2nd half. Close game and he never put his beat player back in. Unbelievable.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby LanceShock » October 11th, 2017, 8:32 pm

glm38 wrote:
Old School MVC wrote:Which game was it last year that Lusk had forgotten that Johnson was on his bench at the end of a game? I remember reading about it on here, but too lazy to look up which game it was.

I don't remember who we were playing that game? But it definitely happened. I was there. And Lusk admitted post game he forgot about Alize in the 2nd half. Close game and he never put his beat player back in. Unbelievable.

Hard to believe you would forget about him being there unless there were some unique circumstances. I remember after Griskenas had his knee injury and second surgery (his first before he got to WSU), he ended up having to ride a stationary bike to keep his knee loose. Because he wasn't on the bench, but off to the side, Marshall would forget about him being there.

Of course, Griskenas was no Alize Johnson. I would think that you would go looking for Johnson if you didn't see him . . .
LanceShock
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BirdsEyeView » October 12th, 2017, 9:58 am

glm38 wrote:

Was that not the Redbirds game in Normal?
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Bradleyfan1 » October 17th, 2017, 7:39 am

#Wardles year to prove himself. He will. He gets my vote.
Bradleyfan1
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball