Potential Realignment: Big East is exploring expansion to 11

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Potential Realignment: Big East is exploring expansion t

Postby TheAsianSensation » October 21st, 2017, 9:11 am

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:
TheAsianSensation wrote:I think St Louis has a better chance at the Big East than Dayton. Remember going to 11 and stopping is purely to satisfy the TV partner. I think St Louis is marginally better than Dayton, but neither move the needle too much. VCU and Wichita aren't institutional fits; Richmond is a darkhorse but doesn't move the TV needle. But in the end, you need to improve basketball television inventory and none of private schools provide this benefit.

I just can't see UConn at the moment; any move to the Big East would require some agreement that UConn is done pursuing a P5 and they are years and years away from giving up that dream. I think the Big East holds until that day comes.

I still think going to 12 with UConn and a western partner is endgame for the BEast, and I encourage Wichita St to remain vigilant about this.

I do think if Dayton gets pried from the A-10, St Louis is not long for there; you can get to the Big East from the MVC. But make no mistake, the A-10 is still in better position than the MVC overall. I don't think we'll ever lure Dayton over here.

I'd much rather be in the mvc than the a-10. The A-10 has a higher ceiling but also a lower floor. Even losing wichita the mvc is going to continue to bounce between the 9th-12th best conference. The A-10 is unstable. VCU and Dayton are not long for the A-10. SLU won't last long after that, either. The conference rank will drop dramatically. LaSalle and Duquesne don't scare too many people. Davidson doesn't have steph Curry anymore. St. Joseph's will be the best left and who will the A-10 add to bring them significantly back up the rankings? Richmond? Please. They'll be in the same spot the MVC is in now. Nobody to add to replace what they lost. The difference is the MVC has to replace one good program with a lesser. The A-10 will have to add three. Good luck A-10 and enjoy the present because you're about to be a low mid-major conference within 10 years.

I think everyone overestimates the chances of teams leaving that conference. Big East probably isn't going to call. AAC is pretty full, and even if they lose a couple teams they don't have to backfill. Dayton is likely there for the long haul. VCU can be debatable.

Further down, I trust programs like George Washington, Bonaventure, St Joe's, URI, and UMass to be more relevant on a national stage. Those teams will at least peak and be legitimate at-large players once every few years. St Louis, Davidson, VCU, Dayton. More depth in the conference. In the MVC, all we've had among current members in the last decade is UNI, plus a couple half-hearted IlSU attempts and a couple Missouri St jobbings.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Drakey » October 22nd, 2017, 9:54 am

The difference between the A10 and the Valley id focus. They understand what stye want to be (a basketball conference) and they do not have schools playing scholarship football. It is the only formula that works outside of the Power 5, and that is why they will likely stay ahead of the Valley. The Valley has no focus.
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

Postby mvfcfan » October 22nd, 2017, 4:22 pm

Drakey wrote:The difference between the A10 and the Valley id focus. They understand what stye want to be (a basketball conference) and they do not have schools playing scholarship football. It is the only formula that works outside of the Power 5, and that is why they will likely stay ahead of the Valley. The Valley has no focus.

Well since Rhode Island, Fordham, Duquesne, and Richmond play FCS football, I'd say you are wrong about the A10 not having scholarship playing fb schools. Then you have UMASS that is throwing even more money at FBS football.

Then in the MVC you have schools like Bradley, Drake, Evansville, and Loyola that never do anything in basketball, but want to talk about how football holds the MVC back. So what are the privates' excuses for not doing anything? From what I've seen UNI and ILST have had more success over the past ten years than any of the privates (besides Valpo). I don't understand why the publics don't kick the private schools to the curb and form an all sports conference with the Dakota schools.

Oh and just a little update the MVFC is ranked higher than the Mountain West, Sun Belt, CUSA, and MAC. At least the publics in our conference actually have success in our sports. The private school mindset in the MVC is what is holding the conference back, not FCS football.
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby KenM » October 23rd, 2017, 9:13 am

Why don't they take niu, they have recent tournament success
KenM
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby Red » March 1st, 2018, 9:55 am

Once upon a time, some folks thought Gonzaga could eventually end up in the Big East for hoops only despite the immense travel. Instead, sounds like the Zags are heading to the Mountain West which makes more sense geographically.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby GoSIU88 » March 1st, 2018, 4:36 pm

You can rule out Illinois State. They're joining the Big XII.
GoSIU88
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby BCPanther » March 1st, 2018, 4:42 pm

Pssh. UNI is already in the Big 12.

For Wrestling.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball