Potential Realignment: Big East is exploring expansion to 11

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby VU2014 » October 17th, 2017, 6:40 pm

Jon Rothstein reported the Big East could expand to 20 conference games, but only if it adds 11th team.

"The Big East could be expanding to a 20-game conference schedule sometime in the near future. However, such a change is only likely if the heralded conference if able to add an 11th team into the fold, a source has informed FanRag Sports."

“The double round-robin format is ideal,” one source told FanRag Sports. “That needs to be kept in place.”

"FanRag Sports also reported last winter that the Big East and the UConn Huskies had initial talks regarding a potential partnership, but needed to find a solution and a new home for the Huskies’ football program."
https://www.fanragsports.com/rothstein- ... 11th-team/

I think the 2 obvious contenders for an invite are Dayton & SLU, because both are from the Midwest, Catholic, Private Universities & have basketball tradition. Of the two I'd think Dayton has the edge because of recent basketball success and a new arena is on the way.

Obvious Contenders for a Invite:
-UCONN (I don't see it happening because UCONN won't give up on FBS Football)
-Dayton (Rumor is Xavier would try and block Dayton from getting a invite)
-SLU
-VCU (less likely because they are a public university but they have the arena, $ to make that leap, & recent basketball success)
-Cincinnati (Public University & I don't see them giving up on FBS Football)

If Dayton was selected, I wonder if SLU would consider coming back to the MVC. SLU would lose its closest conference rival, the A10 would be weakened and maybe the high travel expenses aren't worth it to SLU anymore. The MVC is still considering expanding to 12 and SLU is a natural fit. Apparently SLU's administration/fans think they're "above" the MVC. It would be a fit for all parties involved.

What do you think is the potential impact on the MVC & the most likely outcome?
Last edited by VU2014 on October 17th, 2017, 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VU2014
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Potential Realignment: Big East is exploring expansion t

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » October 17th, 2017, 7:01 pm

Only way this impacts us is if Dayton is #11 (arena undergoing huge renovations) and SLU pulls a 180 and embraces Arch Madness in their backyard, as A10 told Dayton/SLU last round no more midwestern adds. A10 likely adds Siena to replace Dayton.

If Big East adds Connecticut or Saint Louis; won't affect MVC whatsoever.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » October 17th, 2017, 7:58 pm

Dayton is a no brainer. I understand why xavier would ant two block. Cincy makes no sense since xavier is a few mile away from cincy. SLU has no chance. Uconn is jockeying for a P5. That leaves dayton and VCU. Wichita state will have a good chance wqif they win the AAC
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby VU2014 » October 17th, 2017, 9:22 pm

Wichita State wouldn't be a bad basketball fit if they could get over the public and non-religious affiliation. One factor for conference's are now factoring probably more then ever in expansion is the best academic schools possible because of the NCAA will be distributing monetary units based on excellent APR scores. That is one of the reasons Valpo got the invite apparently. (side note: I find it funny/sad that the NCAA will be distributing units for excellent APR scores yet, UNC just got away with fake classes with no punishment where they were giving A's for BS classes. I'm sure UNC isn't the only one and I'm sure many P5's are giving their student-athletes "A's")

Apparently Xavier will do everything possible to not allow Dayton to get a invite. It's kind of hilarious that schools want to block other in-state school because they want to be "Ohio's Big East Team". So short sighted, yet not surprising. It's all about the bottom line for schools. Everyone non-P5 should be trying to add the best basketball schools possible while also trying to find a school that matches their Conference's academic standard & culture.

It will be interesting to see how this potential Big East expansion turns out. I wonder if it will lead SLU to start considering joining the MVC where it seems to be a natural fit.
VU2014
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Redhawk » October 18th, 2017, 8:40 am

The Big East and UCONN have already had discussions regarding a partnership.
I would suggest that they would be the one and only option for addition based upon
their history with the other Big East members. Private/Public, Football/Non-Football
doesn't matter...it's all about value and money!

Also, UCONN won't need to drop football. The AAC might even let them stay as a football only school
like Navy since that might be best for there league. If that happens then there might be some changes
that could potentially benefit the MVC:

The AAC would want to add another basketball only member with the two prime candidates being
Dayton and VCU. If Dayton is the choice then SLU is on an island in the A10. That would be the time
for the full press from the Valley to get SLU back.
Redhawk
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Red » October 18th, 2017, 11:07 am

It would be kind of funny if UCONN left the AAC for the Big east and the trickle down left the Shox in a league with hot garbage.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby mvfcfan » October 18th, 2017, 9:19 pm

Wait you mean 11 actually can work?

Still irritates me that we couldn't add Murray State because of the so called travel partners thing that is only used in volleyball and women's basketball. Like it must be really expensive to make a single bus trip over to Springfield, MO twice a year.

Hopefully the Big East takes Dayton if they go to 11, because if they do then it slightly increases our chances of adding St Louis.
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby VU2014 » October 19th, 2017, 4:21 pm

Honest Question: Why do SLU fans think so highly of themselves? Whenever the MVC expansion gets brought up and SLU gets mentioned, the overwhelming majority of SLU fans look down on the MVC... I just don't understand why they seem to think they're better then the MVC? :huh:

I just looked up SLU's basketball history and its not that impressive, especially in recent history. Since the 1957-1958 season they've only won their own conference regular season TWICE over 60 YEARS. And those years were 2012–13 & 2013–14, which were under Jim Crews who won those seasons with Majerus' recruits and after Majerus turned the program around and the program has since regressed again.

I think fan-bases should all have high standards but I honestly can not for the life of me understand where the SLU fans come off as thinking they're above or better then the Valley.

I just went of to their message board and I'm a little perplexed to say the least. If Dayton left the A10 it makes so much sense to be in the MVC. The Conference Tournament is literally in their backyard.

Someone from the Valpo board saw these comments on the SLU board (a few of their fans acknowledge the Valley is a fit)
http://www.billikens.com/forum/index.ph ... st/&page=1

Example:
=============================================================================================
February 16
"Gross. Staying in the A10 would be awful.

Every member of the Bills Athletic Department, their coaches, and admin should aspire to the Big East, more money for the school. Any other logic is out of control silly.

Even if the "ship has sail" we should be ready when it comes back to port, if it ever does. It is a DOMINANT basketball conference of non-football playing institutions. Why in Godalmightys name would we not want to be in it?"
==========
February 16
"We ought to just move to the Valley. Natural geographic rivalries, easier travel. It's where we've always belonged."
===============================================================================================
February 16
"We are way past the Valley."
Last edited by VU2014 on October 19th, 2017, 6:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
VU2014
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » October 19th, 2017, 5:29 pm

If Dayton left for Big East or AAC, and the safe assumption MVC would add Murray, I think the A10-Dayton is good but only marginally better than MVC+Murray. I think that marginal difference is more than made up not only in geographic rivalries, but especially the fact SLU could invade Arch Madness to heights not even SIU/Creighton/Wichita did. That builds up into a massive recruiting advantage and they can parlay that into being the best mid major in the midwest. Really hope they see that opportunity if the chips fall that way.

Plus the schedule can be manipulated so they only play 4 bottom feeders 1x.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ptownbraves » October 19th, 2017, 8:13 pm

VU2014 wrote:Honest Question: Why do SLU fans think so highly of themselves? Whenever the MVC expansion gets brought up and SLU gets mentioned, the overwhelming majority of SLU fans look down on the MVC... I just don't understand why they seem to think they're better then the MVC? :huh:

There are a lot of reasons but the biggest is that SLU fans think the Big East is the answer to all of their problems and that an invite is just around the corner. If that invite doesn't come, then they will happily stay in the A10 unless more restructuring happens and schools like Dayton or VCU were to leave. Because let's face it, the A10 is a better conference than the MVC at the moment. SLU also has a solid fanbase in a big market, they've made sizeable investments in facilities, and they have some talented recruits that should make an impact soon.

Some recent negative press has included a sexual assault investigation involving four players from the men's basketball team that can't look good if you are a administrator from a Big East school. There have also been looming financial difficulties due to declining enrollments. I'd love to see their revenue and expense numbers in the A10 and contrast that with margins in the Valley. Travel expenses have to be high since the closest school they play is Dayton. TV revenue and NCAA shares is bigger in the A10 compared to the MVC...but that's split between 14 schools instead of 10. Perhaps an administration looking to make cuts would see athletics as a potential area to tighten the belt and see the MVC as an actual common-sense option, but they'd really anger their boosters in the process.

The thinking is not that unusual. SLU fans see the MVC the way we see the Horizon or OVC. In reality, many MVC schools would finish middle of the pack in those conferences.
ptownbraves
All MVC
All MVC

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball