Opening Weekend

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Opening Weekend

Postby BEARZ77 » November 12th, 2017, 8:47 am

underdawg wrote:oh, and SIU beat Winthrop 81-66 and held the Eagles to 30% from the field in second half. I'm not sure how good Winthrop is--besides Xavier Cooks. But it was an away game, which are always tough especially when a team is down three players and had their flight delayed 5 hours, and didn't get a pre-game practice. Well at least usual 8-12 SIU guys will get D-1 experience PT for the next 10 games. I think everyone will be available by start of Valley play

Fletcher started and played 29 minutes; also while Bartley was the early season scheduled starter, I really wasn't impressed with him at SLU and I think it was a case of the veteran holding the spot until McGill the more talented juco took over. It may hurt SIU's depth a bit with him out, but they have Cook and McGil at pg, both whom I think are better than Bartley down the road. Bol being out though is significant.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby underdawg » November 12th, 2017, 11:24 am

BEARZ77 wrote:
underdawg wrote:oh, and SIU beat Winthrop 81-66 and held the Eagles to 30% from the field in second half. I'm not sure how good Winthrop is--besides Xavier Cooks. But it was an away game, which are always tough especially when a team is down three players and had their flight delayed 5 hours, and didn't get a pre-game practice. Well at least usual 8-12 SIU guys will get D-1 experience PT for the next 10 games. I think everyone will be available by start of Valley play

Fletcher started and played 29 minutes; also while Bartley was the early season scheduled starter, I really wasn't impressed with him at SLU and I think it was a case of the veteran holding the spot until McGill the more talented juco took over. It may hurt SIU's depth a bit with him out, but they have Cook and McGil at pg, both whom I think are better than Bartley down the road. Bol being out though is significant.

He was in some pain and probably will have to deal with what seems like a chronic condition (like a players shoulder dislocation keeps re-occuring)---you could see him avoiding exploding off the floor for rebounds.Hinson said playing him will not make the condition worse.
underdawg
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby underdawg » November 17th, 2017, 9:43 am

Starter Armon Fletcher is out for Il-Springfield game Saturday and game with #18 Louisville Tuesday----that makes three starters out! :( So we will soldier on till 6-5 PG Marcus Bartley gets back Dec 2 and Thik Bol gets back Dec. 21--Probably get curb stomped by Louisville--have only 8 players available
underdawg
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BirdsEyeView » November 17th, 2017, 11:20 am

underdawg wrote:Starter Armon Fletcher is out for Il-Springfield game Saturday and game with #18 Louisville Tuesday----that makes three starters out! :( So we will soldier on till 6-5 PG Marcus Bartley gets back Dec 2 and Thik Bol gets back Dec. 21--Probably get curb stomped by Louisville--have only 8 players available

Welcome to Illinois State's world. 8 available players until December sometime as well.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BCPanther » November 17th, 2017, 12:58 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:
underdawg wrote:Starter Armon Fletcher is out for Il-Springfield game Saturday and game with #18 Louisville Tuesday----that makes three starters out! :( So we will soldier on till 6-5 PG Marcus Bartley gets back Dec 2 and Thik Bol gets back Dec. 21--Probably get curb stomped by Louisville--have only 8 players available

Welcome to Illinois State's world. 8 available players until December sometime as well.

And UNI. As many guys in sweats as in uniform on the bench including Wyatt Loahaus and Austin Phyfe. That's 40-45 minutes per night right there...
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball