MVC Games 11/13-11/16

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC Games 11/13-11/16

Postby bleach » November 15th, 2017, 6:35 pm

Bears lead 49-26 at half. Yeah, it's Southern but at least they are making them look like Southern.
bleach
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby bleach » November 15th, 2017, 7:20 pm

MSU 86 Southern 58
Final
bleach
All MVC
All MVC

Postby E-Villan » November 15th, 2017, 10:20 pm

Nice job Bears!

Apparently we aren't pining the loss of Wichita State enough to keep the trolls out. These "trying" comments are downright moronic.

I am as critical of Marty as much as anyone, and like most of our fanbase, more than ready for a new direction with our coaching staff...but I will stop way short of saying no one is trying. Despite Marty's mediocrity, he is only 2 years away from a 2nd place finish in both the season and conference tournament. I guess I missed that with ECU and USF. If you're basing it on financials, UE has third highest basketball budget in the league, more than double the bottom teams. We can discuss the return on investment, but it's not from a lack of spending it. Marty's $300K is on the lower scale, but he simply hasn't earned anymore. SIU and BU are perfect examples of overpaying a coach and getting burned in return. I would much rather follow UNI, where they brought an unproven coach in at a lower salary, and appropriately compensated him as he succeeded. I am sure if Marty had Jacobson's results, his salary would be substantially higher. The increased ticket sales alone would compensate that.

In addition, I am not aware of any school in the conference over the last decade who has invested and enhanced all of their athletic facilities as much as UE has.

I bang my head on the wall daily that despite all of the expenditures and improvements, our administration has given Marty a longer leash than any other coach in the history of the program. It is indeed extremely frustrating for us long time fans. I have no idea the reasons, but to dismiss it as simply "not trying" is nothing but uninformed trolling. Apparently the AAC boards must have stricter moderation.
E-Villan
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BCPanther » November 15th, 2017, 10:48 pm

UNI was awful for 32 minutes. Okay for 8.

Beat DIII Wartburg 72-43.

No idea what to think about this team right now. Bennett Koch and Tywhon Pickford were very good. Klint Carlson was in foul trouble all night and disinterested when he was on the floor.

Next up: Chicago State as part of Battle 4 Atlantis on Saturday Morning.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby valleyclimber » November 15th, 2017, 10:53 pm

3-0 tonight for Valley teams. Congrats out to MSU (28 point smackdown win), Valpo (25 point curbstomp win on the road), and to UNI for putting up another W.

So that's 16-2 (11-2 vs. D1) out of the gates for the MVC. Smoking hot start for the conference... 8-)

Tomorrow's games will be interesting with the Redbirds tipping off the day (10:30 a.m.) against the South Carolina Gamecocks who went to the Final Four last season, and the Sycamores go against Auburn. Go get 'em ISUs.

Aces and Ramblers are also both on tap tomorrow with winnable games. Looking forward to the all the hoops across the Valley...oooo yeah.

KEEP IT ROCKIN' MVC!! :Cheers:
valleyclimber
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby AndShock » November 15th, 2017, 11:34 pm

E-Villan wrote:Nice job Bears!

Apparently we aren't pining the loss of Wichita State enough to keep the trolls out. These "trying" comments are downright moronic.

I am as critical of Marty as much as anyone, and like most of our fanbase, more than ready for a new direction with our coaching staff...but I will stop way short of saying no one is trying. Despite Marty's mediocrity, he is only 2 years away from a 2nd place finish in both the season and conference tournament. I guess I missed that with ECU and USF. If you're basing it on financials, UE has third highest basketball budget in the league, more than double the bottom teams. We can discuss the return on investment, but it's not from a lack of spending it. Marty's $300K is on the lower scale, but he simply hasn't earned anymore. SIU and BU are perfect examples of overpaying a coach and getting burned in return. I would much rather follow UNI, where they brought an unproven coach in at a lower salary, and appropriately compensated him as he succeeded. I am sure if Marty had Jacobson's results, his salary would be substantially higher. The increased ticket sales alone would compensate that.

In addition, I am not aware of any school in the conference over the last decade who has invested and enhanced all of their athletic facilities as much as UE has.

I bang my head on the wall daily that despite all of the expenditures and improvements, our administration has given Marty a longer leash than any other coach in the history of the program. It is indeed extremely frustrating for us long time fans. I have no idea the reasons, but to dismiss it as simply "not trying" is nothing but uninformed trolling. Apparently the AAC boards must have stricter moderation.

I guess we can agree to disagree because you’re not going to convince me that the UE administration believes Marty can compete for championships. Marty just isn’t 100% suck which is enough for the UE administration.

SIU is a school that you could convince me either way. SIU AD might think Barry is “good enough” or he might think Barry can compete for championships, I’d believe either one. That’s just not the case with me and Evansville.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » November 16th, 2017, 4:36 am

AndShock wrote:
E-Villan wrote:Nice job Bears!

I guess we can agree to disagree because you’re not going to convince me that the UE administration believes Marty can compete for championships. Marty just isn’t 100% suck which is enough for the UE administration.

SIU is a school that you could convince me either way. SIU AD might think Barry is “good enough” or he might think Barry can compete for championships, I’d believe either one. That’s just not the case with me and Evansville.

If Marty applied himself he could compete for the biggest loser championship.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » November 16th, 2017, 4:41 am

In Marty's defense (I'm not saying he's the guy to lead Evansville but...) he is 56-38 overall and 27-27 in the MVC with a second place finish and a postseason championship in the past 3 years (plus two games this season).
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Rogers101 » November 16th, 2017, 7:48 am

Couple of good challenges this morning. Hoping to get 1 of the 2 games. Be nice to add some P5 wins to the column. Kenpom rankings have been improving due to the nice start for the league. Lot of depth so far. Keep the foot on the pedal!
Rogers101
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby pafan » November 16th, 2017, 9:00 am

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:In Marty's defense (I'm not saying he's the guy to lead Evansville but...) he is 56-38 overall and 27-27 in the MVC with a second place finish and a postseason championship in the past 3 years (plus two games this season).

When we exclude the SWAC/MEAC/D3 invitational Evansville hosts every December, Marty is 42-38 over the last 3 seasons + 2 games. Pretty unimpressive for a "postseason champion".
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball