MVC Games 11/13-11/16

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC Games 11/13-11/16

Postby Redbirdgrad » November 15th, 2017, 1:46 pm

Man oh man, it's tough for me to root for Bradley. Went to ISU from 2000-2003, before the whole Wichita thing blew up, and the Bradley rivalry was in full swing...

Then Wichita happened, and Bradley kinda went on the backburner because they were... bad.

Glad that trash program Wichita and their annoying coach are gone though..

So now, do we as ISU fans reinstate the BU rivalry or actually pull for you guys over in Peoria. We're supposed to hate someone, right? College athletics and all?

But in times like these I guess we pull for the Valley... so... congrats on being 2-0! Man that hurt to say...

:Cheers:
Redbirdgrad
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BCPanther » November 15th, 2017, 1:49 pm

Rambler63 wrote:
uniftw wrote:For the first time in a long time I've actually finding myself innately pulling for MVC teams in the OOC schedule so far.

I think with WSU gone (and sCUm too) it is easier to pull for the conference as we know we need to "band together". It's a nice change.

I guess I feel some of the same. The majority of Shocker fans behind the anonymity of usernames certainly went far, far out of their way and spent quite a chunk of their days inventing ways to make the rest of the league feel crappy about themselves. I've taken a look at their site lately (Loyola plays UMKC tomorrow, and the Shockers had them to open the season), and they have an entirely new set of peeves and complaints. They have completely jettisoned use of the RPI, and now focus entirely on KenPom. They''re angry about someone somewhere who suggested that they're still a Mid-Major. And they're now very complementary about schools that have a lot of football money boosting their athletic departments.

Given the grief they gave other MVC teams over the RPI and scheduling, I was surprised they didn't have three or four threads going after their new conference mate South Florida for losing at home to Morgan State, or Tulsa losing to Lamar. They apparently don't care anymore-- they're out of the middle-class neighborhood with the tidy homes and the people who save for vacations, and now they're in a McMansion with some well-off but trashy neighbors that they're trying to ignore for the time being. The houses are farther apart than in the old neighborhood, which makes it easier to avoid eye contact. Just wait until East Carolina loses to Radford tonight, or Tulane loses at Georgia State on Nov. 26, or some ref makes a call that doesn't look quite right in Houston in late January. McMansions get cracks in their foundations all the time, and they're usually a worse commute, and it costs a lot more than you think to heat The Great Room. /metaphor

Dude. This is perfect. Just perfect.

I have the same feelings. I'd gotten to the point where I kind of hoped Wichita would slip up and it had nothing to do with their players and everything to do with how Gregggg carried himself and acted like he was just too damn good to associate with anybody else in the league, hell he's still taking shots at Valley communities while standing across the street. He's the classic guy that was born on 3rd base and thought he hit a triple.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redbirdgrad » November 15th, 2017, 1:54 pm

Did he threaten or shove any more Canadian refs yet?

Mexican?

U.S.?

Because that's the type of coach you get when you roll with triple G!!!
Redbirdgrad
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » November 15th, 2017, 2:24 pm

BCPanther wrote: He's the classic guy that was born on 3rd base and thought he hit a triple.

Not sure you can more perfectly demonstrate how little you know.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby AndShock » November 15th, 2017, 2:30 pm

BCPanther wrote:
Rambler63 wrote:
uniftw wrote:For the first time in a long time I've actually finding myself innately pulling for MVC teams in the OOC schedule so far.

I think with WSU gone (and sCUm too) it is easier to pull for the conference as we know we need to "band together". It's a nice change.

I guess I feel some of the same. The majority of Shocker fans behind the anonymity of usernames certainly went far, far out of their way and spent quite a chunk of their days inventing ways to make the rest of the league feel crappy about themselves. I've taken a look at their site lately (Loyola plays UMKC tomorrow, and the Shockers had them to open the season), and they have an entirely new set of peeves and complaints. They have completely jettisoned use of the RPI, and now focus entirely on KenPom. They''re angry about someone somewhere who suggested that they're still a Mid-Major. And they're now very complementary about schools that have a lot of football money boosting their athletic departments.

Given the grief they gave other MVC teams over the RPI and scheduling, I was surprised they didn't have three or four threads going after their new conference mate South Florida for losing at home to Morgan State, or Tulsa losing to Lamar. They apparently don't care anymore-- they're out of the middle-class neighborhood with the tidy homes and the people who save for vacations, and now they're in a McMansion with some well-off but trashy neighbors that they're trying to ignore for the time being. The houses are farther apart than in the old neighborhood, which makes it easier to avoid eye contact. Just wait until East Carolina loses to Radford tonight, or Tulane loses at Georgia State on Nov. 26, or some ref makes a call that doesn't look quite right in Houston in late January. McMansions get cracks in their foundations all the time, and they're usually a worse commute, and it costs a lot more than you think to heat The Great Room. /metaphor

Dude. This is perfect. Just perfect.

I have the same feelings. I'd gotten to the point where I kind of hoped Wichita would slip up and it had nothing to do with their players and everything to do with how Gregggg carried himself and acted like he was just too damn good to associate with anybody else in the league, hell he's still taking shots at Valley communities while standing across the street. He's the classic guy that was born on 3rd base and thought he hit a triple.

What? Gregg is the epitome of working for everything he has. The guy is obviously a narcissist but that’s basically the worst analogy for Gregg you could possibly make.

As for USF, they’re in their first year with a former P5 coach making $1.1 million a year with an assistant pool of $750,000. If you can’t see the difference in having that as a bottom feeder vs having Evansville as a bottom feeder then I can’t help you. The only AAC school on the s*** list is ECU. Every other school is TRYING to compete for national championships.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Rambler63 » November 15th, 2017, 2:46 pm

AndShock wrote:The only AAC school on the s*** list is ECU. Every other school is TRYING to compete for national championships.

This is classic. No parody account could top ever this.

Read this link and see if you can put together some of those "We only got one player on the all conference teams? :twisted: " and "We lost the preseason poll vote by one point-- who do we blame? :twisted: " posts that we all miss around here so much....

From now on my parody account User Name is: Live Angry™
Rambler63
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby AndShock » November 15th, 2017, 2:51 pm

Rambler63 wrote:
AndShock wrote:The only AAC school on the s*** list is ECU. Every other school is TRYING to compete for national championships.

This is classic. No parody account could top ever this.

Read this link and see if you can put together some of those "We only got one player on the all conference teams? :twisted: " and "We lost the preseason poll vote by one point-- who do we blame? :twisted: " posts that we all miss around here so much....

From now on my parody account User Name is: Live Angry™

Please tell me which schools are not trying. Thanks.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » November 15th, 2017, 4:14 pm

Shocker nation is in the new relationship stage still with the AAC. They can do no wrong to these fans right now. Unfortunately, they see what they wish to see, which means ignoring things like the crap that lives at the bottom of their conference.

It is what it is. Let them enjoy their honeymoon.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby AndShock » November 15th, 2017, 4:26 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:Shocker nation is in the new relationship stage still with the AAC. They can do no wrong to these fans right now. Unfortunately, they see what they wish to see, which means ignoring things like the crap that lives at the bottom of their conference.

It is what it is. Let them enjoy their honeymoon.

If the crap I have to deal with has a larger assistant pool than 8/10 (I'm gonna assume Wardle makes over 750k) of the head coaches' salaries in the conference we came from, it's going to be a long time for me to get over this honeymoon.

Compare the number of Shocker fans that talked down to Bradley to the number of Shocker fans that talked down to Evansville. I couldn't even tell you which of those schools have had the better performance over the last 10 years but one school tried and the other didn't.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » November 15th, 2017, 4:46 pm

Rambler63 wrote:
I guess I feel some of the same. The majority of Shocker fans behind the anonymity of usernames certainly went far, far out of their way and spent quite a chunk of their days inventing ways to make the rest of the league feel crappy about themselves.

This is where I am. One thing I've really noticed is that it was always WSU vs everyone on the board the last few years but they found a way to make it WSU vs everyone vs everyone. It was always flipped with who was against who.

That attitude of just "hatred" seems to be gone. It's easier to look at other schools in this conference and go "I want the conference to do well so I need them to do well" and be okay with it. It's a better feeling.

In general I don't have much "conference homerism". Never have. I'm a guy that follows my teams and the rest of the teams can lose every game for all I care. I'm now at a point where I'm still mostly indifferent but don't mind "pulling" for another team in the OOC. We'll see what happens when it's Drake and UE's turn for me to go "COME ON, WIN THIS ONE!".

Don't get it twisted, I'm still going to poke the bear around here. I'm not a touchy feely "YAY EVERYONE" guy. I'm still going to find things to be "that guy" about. However, the "cancer" of the board is 98% gone. I think we can all agree the conference is more unified now (now the argument about public/private/football and who the 12th team should be is going to cause a divide). There's a feeling of fighting together for a greater good compared to everyone feeling like they need to fight everyone.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball