MVC ranking

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC ranking

Postby musiccitybulldog » November 20th, 2017, 7:50 pm

Aargh wrote:
Redbirdgrad wrote:While this early success probably isn't sustainable...

the sky isn't falling around here like those yahoo Selection Committee would like you to think.

I thought that needed one slight correction

2017:

WSU 30-5 (17-1) 10 seed with the auto bid
IlSU 27-7 (17-1) NIT

Aarhg's right you either get the auto-bid(win the tourney) OR Win a bunch of games in both out/in conference AND come close score-wise to the auto bid winner in the tourney final.
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BuBrave2006 » November 21st, 2017, 8:49 am

Valleyball wrote:I think it is just early success.I doubt we get two. Possibly if two really separate themselves in conference play. I say just be happy if the MVC does well enough to build it's reputation and get people to talk about it. When conference season starts we will start dropping again unless a couple teams beat everyone.

We only really even need one to separate themselves and then hope they lose in the tournament. Our best bet for that is probably Loyola or Valpo at this point. If either can go 9-1ish in non con and somehow separate to 14-4 or 15-3 in the Valley, maybe it would be good enough? Probably not but who knows.

FWIW though i think this is very unlikely to happen, just outlining what i think it would take.
BuBrave2006
All MVC
All MVC

Postby uniftw » November 21st, 2017, 9:04 am

I think it's time we start talking about Lusk like we do Marty.

He's in his 7th season at MSU. He is 90-108 overall (45.5%) and 45-64 (41.3%) in MVC play. He's never finished over .500 in conference play, only finished at .500 twice. 1 post season appearance.

Marty's first 6 years were 88-103 (46.1%) and 42-66 (38.9%) in MVC play. Marty finished at .500 twice and over .500 once in those first 6 years. He had 4 post season tournament appearances, with one being a CIT semifinals appearance.

It's time we admit that Lusk is actually a worse coach than Marty. Lusk has infinitely more resources available to him, seems to recruit significantly better talent top to bottom, and yet produces similar/worse results than Marty.

Starting now - unless MSU has a massive turn around this year - I'm all aboard the Lusk is worse than Marty train.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » November 21st, 2017, 9:28 am

uniftw wrote:I think it's time we start talking about Lusk like we do Marty.

He's in his 7th season at MSU. He is 90-108 overall (45.5%) and 45-64 (41.3%) in MVC play. He's never finished over .500 in conference play, only finished at .500 twice. 1 post season appearance.

Marty's first 6 years were 88-103 (46.1%) and 42-66 (38.9%) in MVC play. Marty finished at .500 twice and over .500 once in those first 6 years. He had 4 post season tournament appearances, with one being a CIT semifinals appearance.

It's time we admit that Lusk is actually a worse coach than Marty. Lusk has infinitely more resources available to him, seems to recruit significantly better talent top to bottom, and yet produces similar/worse results than Marty.

Starting now - unless MSU has a massive turn around this year - I'm all aboard the Lusk is worse than Marty train.

I agree. Marty is doing more with a lot less.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ACECARD » November 21st, 2017, 9:52 am

uniftw wrote:I think it's time we start talking about Lusk like we do Marty.

Does this mean we get Marty for another 10 years of Thursday teams?
ACECARD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BCPanther » November 21st, 2017, 9:56 am

BuBrave2006 wrote:
Valleyball wrote:I think it is just early success.I doubt we get two. Possibly if two really separate themselves in conference play. I say just be happy if the MVC does well enough to build it's reputation and get people to talk about it. When conference season starts we will start dropping again unless a couple teams beat everyone.

We only really even need one to separate themselves and then hope they lose in the tournament. Our best bet for that is probably Loyola or Valpo at this point. If either can go 9-1ish in non con and somehow separate to 14-4 or 15-3 in the Valley, maybe it would be good enough? Probably not but who knows.

FWIW though i think this is very unlikely to happen, just outlining what i think it would take.

Disagree. Those two don't have enough meat on the non-con schedule to do that.

UNI is the only one that does and would have to go like 8-2 (DI only) and 16-2. Neither are likely or anything near probable. UNI would also have to get probably two of Arizona, Villanova/Purdue, Xavier and Iowa State along with beating UNLV and UT-Arlington. Beating SMU would be an absolute must because if they get to the back side of Atlantis you lose the opportunity to play Arizona/Villanova/Purdue.

Say UNI beats Purdue, Xavier, Iowa State, UNLV, Arlington and SMU, goes 8-2 (DI) with losses at Carolina and Arizona (N) and then goes 16-2 in the league with losses at Loyola and at Illinois State and a StL loss to Loyola, they are 26-5 on selection Sunday, you get an RPI between 35-45 and a KenPom between 25-35 and I'm not even sure thats enough in today's P5 climate.

I think as a fan base we get a little peeved at Jake for scheduling the insanity that he does but at the end of the day its your only hope for not having to depend on 3 days in StL.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby hot nuts » November 21st, 2017, 10:13 am

Since Lusk and Marty are so awful the rest of the coaches should be able to gameplan easy wins over the Bears and Aces. Maybe not Moser, I've heard plenty from Redbird fans about his shortcomings. Wait, I forgot what a bad coach Muller is at game management. Come to think of it, I totally forgot what a poor coach Hinson is at SIU. Hmmm, I guess I'll go with Trees, Panthers, Bulldogs, Bradley and Valpo as my top 5.
hot nuts
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » November 21st, 2017, 10:30 am

The trees were a one hit wonder apparently.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby achrist70 » November 21st, 2017, 11:00 am

BCPanther wrote:
BuBrave2006 wrote:

Disagree. Those two don't have enough meat on the non-con schedule to do that.

UNI is the only one that does and would have to go like 8-2 (DI only) and 16-2. Neither are likely or anything near probable. UNI would also have to get probably two of Arizona, Villanova/Purdue, Xavier and Iowa State along with beating UNLV and UT-Arlington. Beating SMU would be an absolute must because if they get to the back side of Atlantis you lose the opportunity to play Arizona/Villanova/Purdue.

Say UNI beats Purdue, Xavier, Iowa State, UNLV, Arlington and SMU, goes 8-2 (DI) with losses at Carolina and Arizona (N) and then goes 16-2 in the league with losses at Loyola and at Illinois State and a StL loss to Loyola, they are 26-5 on selection Sunday, you get an RPI between 35-45 and a KenPom between 25-35 and I'm not even sure thats enough in today's P5 climate.

I think as a fan base we get a little peeved at Jake for scheduling the insanity that he does but at the end of the day its your only hope for not having to depend on 3 days in StL.

If UNI does this then they will be in the NCAA tournament, no mid-major team has had that impressive of a resume and been left out.
achrist70
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby LanceShock » November 21st, 2017, 11:07 am

BCPanther wrote:Disagree. Those two don't have enough meat on the non-con schedule to do that.

This is very true. It seems like the Selection Committee only cares if you have wins over top 50 teams nowadays. Unless you get enough teams that are good enough on your schedule, it doesn't matter how well you do.
LanceShock
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball