MVC Games - T'giving/Black Friday Weekend

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC Games - T'giving/Black Friday Weekend

Postby BradleyFan71 » November 22nd, 2017, 3:57 pm

Aargh wrote:While checking the times for the Valley games toady, I couldn't help but notice this one.

Missouri Science & Technology @ Bradley

Really?

I'm not sure how this particular opponent came about, but this is a mandated non-Division I game as part of the Islands of Bahamas Showcase.
I'm sure Wichita would be above this type of game if they were in year three of a complete overhaul!
BradleyFan71
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby spoon » November 22nd, 2017, 4:17 pm

Aargh wrote:While checking the times for the Valley games toady, I couldn't help but notice this one.

Really?

This game is linked to the Islands of the Bahamas Showcase and since they act as the middle-man in coordinating it, they get a cut of the money which helps fund the tournament itself.

Didn't Wichita play Southern Nazarene University last year around this time?...

...and Emporia State the year before?...

...and Newman University the year before?...
spoon
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby isumvc1 » November 22nd, 2017, 4:42 pm

in Terre Haute, the Sycamores are showing signs of life against D-2 Missouri - St Louis. We trail 26-22 with 4 minutes left in the first half, so hopefully we'll hang tough and not get blown out as we have had tendencies to do lately.
isumvc1
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aargh » November 22nd, 2017, 4:48 pm

BradleyFan71 wrote:

Really?

I'm not sure how this particular opponent came about, but this is a mandated non-Division I game as part of the Islands of Bahamas Showcase.
I'm sure Wichita would be above this type of game if they were in year three of a complete overhaul!

thanks for the explanation. That makes sense. Sometimes you get an absolutely stupid and meaningless game in tourneys. It happened to WSU more than once. At least Bradley got a non-D1 opponent that won't mess up SoS, instead of an rpi 320+ team like I've seen in a few of these tourneys.

As far as being in rebuild (or reload) mode, WSU is playing in the Charleston Classic next year. Not many "quality" opponents in the field, but with 6 graduating Sr's, stepping back a bit in a tourney is probably a good idea.

When it's part of an MTE, getting a crap opponent is part of how that works sometimes. I'm relieved to know that it wasn't a game Wardle scheduled intentionally. I've never heard of Missouri S & T. OTOH, I have heard of Quincy, but only because Valley teams have scheduled them in the past.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby isumvc1 » November 22nd, 2017, 4:58 pm

Sycamores made a nice run to close the half and now lead 37-28
isumvc1
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby isumvc1 » November 22nd, 2017, 5:21 pm

ISU has gained control now over Missouri-St Louis, now leading 53-38 near the 12 minute mark, 2nd half!
isumvc1
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby isumvc1 » November 22nd, 2017, 5:56 pm

Sycamores get a big win! 75-58 over Missouri-St Louis! Q. Davis led ISU with 14 points. The 3 game losing streak is over

We host Ball State Saturday.
isumvc1
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BradleyFan71 » November 22nd, 2017, 6:33 pm

Aargh wrote:
BradleyFan71 wrote:

Really?

thanks for the explanation. That makes sense. Sometimes you get an absolutely stupid and meaningless game in tourneys. It happened to WSU more than once. At least Bradley got a non-D1 opponent that won't mess up SoS, instead of an rpi 320+ team like I've seen in a few of these tourneys.

As far as being in rebuild (or reload) mode, WSU is playing in the Charleston Classic next year. Not many "quality" opponents in the field, but with 6 graduating Sr's, stepping back a bit in a tourney is probably a good idea.

When it's part of an MTE, getting a crap opponent is part of how that works sometimes. I'm relieved to know that it wasn't a game Wardle scheduled intentionally. I've never heard of Missouri S & T. OTOH, I have heard of Quincy, but only because Valley teams have scheduled them in the past.

I think Wardle has done a good job scheduling to the expected level of his team.
BradleyFan71
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BradleyFan71 » November 22nd, 2017, 7:56 pm

Braves up 38-17 at the half
BradleyFan71
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BradleyFan71 » November 22nd, 2017, 9:02 pm

Bradley wins 79-47

Starters only played 89 combined minutes.

Kennell 4-8 from 3...18 points in 23 minutes.

Three players off the bench with 20+ minutes.

The two freshmen with some quality time off the bench...
Childs...17 minutes...14 points...8 rebounds
Stipanovich...21 minutes...5 points...8 rebounds

Next up...Georgia Southern...
BradleyFan71
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball