MVC Thriving Despite Loss of WSU

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC Thriving Despite Loss of WSU

Postby BirdsEyeView » December 20th, 2017, 8:25 am

BradleyFan71 wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:
Dansen wrote:
Not as bad as that home loss to Charleston Southern (Kenpom #301, RPI 300)

Phil Fayne was at a funeral against Murray (left with 7 scholarship players to play)

Milik Yarbrough was benched against Charleston Southern (again left with 7 scholarship players to play).

We were never getting an at large with 8 scholarship athletes for our entire non-conference slate. These losses mean very little. It was all about the Arch for ISUr.

So that's ok for one of the supposed contenders, but Bradley seems to be catching hell for scheduling 2-for-1 deals with inferior competition after a complete overhaul?
I believe it's all about the Arch for the entire conference! That's what happens in one-bid conferences.

I am sure you follow your arch enemy Illinois State enough to know why it became all about the Arch for us once those injuries/personal reasons/ineligible things occurred in preseason. We were never getting an at large playing with 7-8 scholarship players for which 2-3 are end of bench scholarship athletes. You have to know this given your assumed hatred for all things Redbirds.

I never really was giving you major crap over your schedule other than to pump the brakes on expectations and excitement given how sh**** your schedule truly is this year.
Last edited by BirdsEyeView on December 20th, 2017, 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby squirrel » December 20th, 2017, 8:32 am

Obviously, yes, SOS plays a factor in it. Doesn't change the fact that Joe Fan isn't going to know or even care when he checks the standings and sees the 4 privates on top.

Nevertheless, SOS aside, this is dreamland for Bradley, who has been among the worst teams in DI several years running now. SOS or not, it's a big step forward.
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BradleyFan71 » December 20th, 2017, 9:47 am

BirdsEyeView wrote:
BradleyFan71 wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:Phil Fayne was at a funeral against Murray (left with 7 scholarship players to play)

Milik Yarbrough was benched against Charleston Southern (again left with 7 scholarship players to play).

We were never getting an at large with 8 scholarship athletes for our entire non-conference slate. These losses mean very little. It was all about the Arch for ISUr.

So that's ok for one of the supposed contenders, but Bradley seems to be catching hell for scheduling 2-for-1 deals with inferior competition after a complete overhaul?
I believe it's all about the Arch for the entire conference! That's what happens in one-bid conferences.

I am sure you follow your arch enemy Illinois State enough to know why it became all about the Arch for us once those injuries/personal reasons/ineligible things occurred in preseason. We were never getting an at large playing with 7-8 scholarship players for which 2-3 are end of bench scholarship athletes. You have to know this given your assumed hatred for all things Redbirds.

I never really was giving you major crap over your schedule other than to pump the brakes on expectations and excitement given how sh**** your schedule truly is this year.

My expectation for this year is to simply not play on Thursday. Should I really be pumping the brakes on that unrealistic expectation?
Looking forward to seeing how impressive the Redbirds are once they have everyone playing. They certainly were not last night.
BradleyFan71
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby WSpringsBird » December 20th, 2017, 10:44 am

Mikovio wrote:
Rollbird5 wrote:Muller always schedules for a chance at an at-large bid

Does he? Last year their noncon SOS was 173, with Ft. Wayne, Ferris State, IUPUI, UT-Martin, St. Joseph's. A lot better this year though.

I think some of that criticism is fair, but Muller has always tried to put together a pretty strong non-conference schedule. Last year, some of the teams on the nonconference schedule just weren't as good as they'd been in previous years. For example, you mentioned St. Joe's--the previous year, it won 28 games, including one game in the tournament. New Mexico was also on the schedule, and was down. This year, the schedule looks stronger, but some of the was luck (and part was Muller working his butt off, I think).

I think the primary issue with Bradley's schedule is how the fans feel about it. I absolutely love what Wardle is doing with the program, but whatever Bradley's schedule, it doesn't have the talent this year to earn an at-large berth. Nor do I think Bradley's OOC schedule is going to cost any other team an at-large berth (by hurting a better MVC team's strength of schedule) b/c I just don't see any team in the Valley that will be remotely close to earning one. I do know several Bradley fans who are upset with the scheduling. How much of that is within Bradley's control, I do not know. I do think Bradley will be pretty good next year; for a variety of reasons, it will be a shame if the OOC schedule looks like this year's.
WSpringsBird
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby squirrel » December 20th, 2017, 11:27 am

It is possible to be upset and disappointed in the schedule and also realize that given Bradley's awfulness for this entire decade to date, they have to go out and also prove they are worth scheduling.

That being said, that's not giving them a pass on going to EIU and going to Chicago St.
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby outpost » December 21st, 2017, 9:42 am

I have read this thread and notice one distinct omission from all posters (so far).

Nobody has mentioned anything about the other conferences. Upsets in the wrong conferences will destroy any hopes for a conference outside of P5, P6 (or whatever you want to call it) for getting an at large.
outpost
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Red » December 21st, 2017, 12:14 pm

outpost wrote:I have read this thread and notice one distinct omission from all posters (so far).

Nobody has mentioned anything about the other conferences. Upsets in the wrong conferences will destroy any hopes for a conference outside of P5, P6 (or whatever you want to call it) for getting an at large.

IMO it's Power 5 for football. If you're going to P6 for hoops, where does the AAC rank because it's still not the sixth?
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby AndShock » December 21st, 2017, 12:27 pm

Red wrote:
outpost wrote:I have read this thread and notice one distinct omission from all posters (so far).

IMO it's Power 5 for football. If you're going to P6 for hoops, where does the AAC rank because it's still not the sixth?

Some people are trying to make Major 7 a thing.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Old School MVC » December 21st, 2017, 1:08 pm

AndShock wrote:Some people are trying to make Major 7 a thing.

Only those in the AAC
Old School MVC
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » December 21st, 2017, 1:46 pm

Old School MVC wrote:
AndShock wrote:Some people are trying to make Major 7 a thing.

Only those in the AAC

HEY! Tulane will be good again....maybe one day...
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball