Next years non-conference schedule

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Next years non-conference schedule

Postby Rollbird5 » March 23rd, 2018, 1:56 pm

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:There is discussion on the Redbirds board about the known non-conference schedule for the 2018-2019 season. I was wondering about other MVC teams (including Murray State) non-conference slate for next season.

Redbirds (so far):

Home:
BYU
Mississippi
San Diego State (MVC/MWC challenge rumored...not sure how they know this because I thought it went by last seasons standings)
Florida Gulf Coast

Road:
Unknown

Neutral:
Cayman Island Classic
Participants thus far are ISUr, Boise State, Creighton, Georgia, St. Bonaventure, and Clemson.

Looks pretty solid. That's a great home schedule for ISUr.

Coach Muller said on 670 the score that San Diego State is coming to our place next year, so rumor must be confirmed. Great non-conference home slate for the birds
Rollbird5
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » March 23rd, 2018, 2:12 pm

Rollbird5 wrote:
Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:There is discussion on the Redbirds board about the known non-conference schedule for the 2018-2019 season. I was wondering about other MVC teams (including Murray State) non-conference slate for next season.

Redbirds (so far):

Home:
BYU
Mississippi
San Diego State (MVC/MWC challenge rumored...not sure how they know this because I thought it went by last seasons standings)
Florida Gulf Coast

Road:
Unknown

Neutral:
Cayman Island Classic
Participants thus far are ISUr, Boise State, Creighton, Georgia, St. Bonaventure, and Clemson.

Coach Muller said on 670 the score that San Diego State is coming to our place next year, so rumor must be confirmed. Great non-conference home slate for the birds

It's possible it's just a game Muller scheduled and that it's not part of the MVC/mwc challenge. I think the opponents for the challenge go by the previous seasons standings. #3 New Mexico would be xomeing to redbird arena next year if that's the case.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Rollbird5 » March 23rd, 2018, 2:31 pm

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:
Rollbird5 wrote:

Redbirds (so far):

Home:
BYU
Mississippi
Florida Gulf Coast

Road:
Unknown

Neutral:
Cayman Island Classic

It's possible it's just a game Muller scheduled and that it's not part of the MVC/mwc challenge. I think the opponents for the challenge go by the previous seasons standings. #3 New Mexico would be xomeing to redbird arena next year if that's the case.

I'd love to have both of those games!
Rollbird5
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Sir Sci » March 23rd, 2018, 3:15 pm

I won't plagiarize Bear Nationers who have worked out MO State's schedule so far, but MSU is in the Hall of Fame Classic this upcoming season, along with USC, Texas Tech, and Nebrasketball and we'll end up playing two of them.

So that's already better than the Gulf Coast Showcase where we got to face off against Georgia Southern, Manhattan, and FAU from this season. :roll:
Sir Sci
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » March 23rd, 2018, 4:05 pm

Sir Sci wrote:I won't plagiarize Bear Nationers who have worked out MO State's schedule so far, but MSU is in the Hall of Fame Classic this upcoming season, along with USC, Texas Tech, and Nebrasketball and we'll end up playing two of them.

So that's already better than the Gulf Coast Showcase where we got to face off against Georgia Southern, Manhattan, and FAU from this season. :roll:

Minimum 1 Q1 game there!
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BEARZ77 » March 23rd, 2018, 4:19 pm

Sir Sci wrote:I won't plagiarize Bear Nationers who have worked out MO State's schedule so far, but MSU is in the Hall of Fame Classic this upcoming season, along with USC, Texas Tech, and Nebrasketball and we'll end up playing two of them.

We also get Western Kentucky at home and go to Wright State, maybe @North Dakota St as well.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby cpacmel » March 23rd, 2018, 9:53 pm

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:San Diego State (MVC/MWC challenge rumored...not sure how they know this because I thought it went by last seasons standings).

http://www.themwc.com/news/2017/6/27/mo ... eries.aspx

Annual matchups for teams in the Challenge Series will be based upon factors including the previous year’s achievements, records and RPI rankings, as well as projected rankings/strength of teams in the upcoming season, based on composite sources. Each season will be considered separately in terms of matchups, therefore, games from the previous year’s Challenge Series may not be returned.
cpacmel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby just ducky » March 24th, 2018, 12:02 pm

cpacmel wrote:
Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:San Diego State (MVC/MWC challenge rumored...not sure how they know this because I thought it went by last seasons standings).

http://www.themwc.com/news/2017/6/27/mo ... eries.aspx

Annual matchups for teams in the Challenge Series will be based upon factors including the previous year’s achievements, records and RPI rankings, as well as projected rankings/strength of teams in the upcoming season, based on composite sources. Each season will be considered separately in terms of matchups, therefore, games from the previous year’s Challenge Series may not be returned.

The MWC road teams in 2018 should include Boise St, Wyoming, Nevada, New Mexico and San Diego St. Is it safe to assume Nevada and Loyola will be rematched? I would say yes. San Diego St can not go to Bradley so that leaves Drake, Evansville, or Illinois St. as their probable destination. Bradley might then get the best of New Mexico, Wyoming or Boise St leaving reorganizing Drake and Evansville teams hosting a couple of the MWC top tier teams.

On the flip side the MVC will send some good and very good SIU, UNI, VU, ISU-b, and MSU teams on the road to face the bottom half of the 17-18 MWC. These include UNLV 7'th, Utah St 8'th, Air Force 9'th, Colorado St 10'th and San Jose St 11'th.

It looks to me that their will be a lot of road wins in the 2018 Challenge and my early thinking leans me
toward a 6-4 Valley outcome.
just ducky
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby VUGrad1314 » March 24th, 2018, 12:27 pm

Rumors from our beat writer suggest that Valpo is trying to nail down games against two members of this year's Sweet 16 as OOC opponents. Also sounds like they're trying to start series with George Washington and Oral Roberts.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Bulldog2323 » March 24th, 2018, 10:01 pm

The only games Drake had set were the MWC-MVC Challenge and the Iowa HyVee Classic (vs. Iowa State). Beyond that the plan was to allow Niko to schedule whatever he wanted. Now it'll be up to the new coach.
Bulldog2323
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball