Next years non-conference schedule

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Next years non-conference schedule

Postby BirdsEyeView » December 28th, 2017, 9:42 am

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:
BCPanther wrote:
VUGrad1314 wrote:Indiana State will play in next year's Diamond Head Classic along with St Mary's Rhode Island Colorado UNLV TCU Hawaii and Charlotte Great field and a fantastic opportunity for the Sycamores. (this according to well-connected MWC writer Eli Boettger.)

The Diamond Head Classic is terrible regardless of the field. UNI will never go back. Have fun if you have to play Hawaii at any point as they're known to get every call in that tournament as they are the ones hiring officials for a free 5 day trip to Hawaii. Also, enjoy flying back from Hawaii 2 days before league play starts, no jet lag or massive climate difference that leads to sickness.

That tournament needs to die but never will because ESPN bought it.

They had a good field this year. Decent field last year and next year.

He literally says in his first sentence "The Diamond Head Classic is terrible regardless of the field."

This is a true statement for the reasons he mentions after that first sentence. The field means nothing compared to the effects it can have.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » December 28th, 2017, 11:12 am

Maui is a great tournament. Nobody complains about travel and jet lag with Hawaii. Also, its your perception that Hawaii gets every call. ISUr played Hawaii during last years Classic and I didn't think that at all. Sour grapes?
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BCPanther » December 28th, 2017, 12:05 pm

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:Maui is a great tournament. Nobody complains about travel and jet lag with Hawaii. Also, its your perception that Hawaii gets every call. ISUr played Hawaii during last years Classic and I didn't think that at all. Sour grapes?

Maui is literally 5 weeks earlier than Diamond Head and not days before you start league play.

If you don't want to believe what a lot of coaches have said after coming back that's on you.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » December 28th, 2017, 12:21 pm

BCPanther wrote:
Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:Maui is a great tournament. Nobody complains about travel and jet lag with Hawaii. Also, its your perception that Hawaii gets every call. ISUr played Hawaii during last years Classic and I didn't think that at all. Sour grapes?

Maui is literally 5 weeks earlier than Diamond Head and not days before you start league play.

If you don't want to believe what a lot of coaches have said after coming back that's on you.

If they cared that much I doubt they would still be going.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redbird222 » December 28th, 2017, 4:10 pm

[quote="Jsnhbe1Birds"]There is discussion on the Redbirds board about the known non-conference schedule for the 2018-2019 season. I was wondering about other MVC teams (including Murray State) non-conference slate for next season.

Redbirds (so far):

Home:
BYU
Mississippi
San Diego State (MVC/MWC challenge rumored...not sure how they know this because I thought it went by last seasons standings)
Florida Gulf Coast

Road:
Unknown

Neutral:
Cayman Island Classic
Participants thus far are ISUr, Boise State, Creighton, Georgia, St. Bonaventure, and Clemson.

Looks pretty solid. That's a great home schedule for ISUr.[/quote
I believe the Redbirds play at HIC. I believe in 2015 they announced a 6 games series with UIC with an off year in 2016. I am doing this from memory.
Redbird222
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby VUGrad1314 » February 12th, 2018, 1:28 pm

Andy Kennedy has been fired by Ole Miss. Should Bradley and Illinois State be concerned that they're about to suffer the same fate as Loyola and have their home half of a P5 home and home ripped away from them with nothing to show for it but cash?
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Adunk33 » February 12th, 2018, 2:10 pm

VUGrad1314 wrote:Andy Kennedy has been fired by Ole Miss. Should Bradley and Illinois State be concerned that they're about to suffer the same fate as Loyola and have their home half of a P5 home and home ripped away from them with nothing to show for it but cash?

Birds got a win over an SEC team out of the deal, so I guess we'll take it? Ole Miss was the game over last season that Muller scheduled over Twitter. Maybe he'll try again??

I wouldn't be surprised if they bought out of the game at Redbird. Northwestern did it a few years back after ILST beat them in Evanston. At the same time, I would be a little surprised if they bought it out. Bringing in a new coach, his focus will probably be on getting his team and staff together vs year 1 scheduling. However, Muller focused on scheduling in his first season, like getting a game at Louisville, and a H/H with Drexel and Dayton.
Adunk33
All MVC
All MVC

Postby squirrel » February 20th, 2018, 2:04 pm

VUGrad1314 wrote:Andy Kennedy has been fired by Ole Miss. Should Bradley and Illinois State be concerned that they're about to suffer the same fate as Loyola and have their home half of a P5 home and home ripped away from them with nothing to show for it but cash?

Bradley's deal with Ole Miss expired after this year. It was a 2-for-1 with us hosting them the first year, and the Braves visiting Oxford the past two seasons.
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Rollbird5 » March 23rd, 2018, 1:56 pm

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:There is discussion on the Redbirds board about the known non-conference schedule for the 2018-2019 season. I was wondering about other MVC teams (including Murray State) non-conference slate for next season.

Redbirds (so far):

Home:
BYU
Mississippi
San Diego State (MVC/MWC challenge rumored...not sure how they know this because I thought it went by last seasons standings)
Florida Gulf Coast

Road:
Unknown

Neutral:
Cayman Island Classic
Participants thus far are ISUr, Boise State, Creighton, Georgia, St. Bonaventure, and Clemson.

Looks pretty solid. That's a great home schedule for ISUr.

Coach Muller said on 670 the score that San Diego State is coming to our place next year, so rumor must be confirmed. Great non-conference home slate for the birds
Rollbird5
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » March 23rd, 2018, 2:12 pm

Rollbird5 wrote:
Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:There is discussion on the Redbirds board about the known non-conference schedule for the 2018-2019 season. I was wondering about other MVC teams (including Murray State) non-conference slate for next season.

Redbirds (so far):

Home:
BYU
Mississippi
Florida Gulf Coast

Road:
Unknown

Neutral:
Cayman Island Classic

Looks pretty solid. That's a great home schedule for ISUr.

Coach Muller said on 670 the score that San Diego State is coming to our place next year, so rumor must be confirmed. Great non-conference home slate for the birds

It's possible it's just a game Muller scheduled and that it's not part of the MVC/mwc challenge. I think the opponents for the challenge go by the previous seasons standings. #3 New Mexico would be xomeing to redbird arena next year if that's the case.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball