Next years non-conference schedule

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Next years non-conference schedule

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » August 27th, 2018, 2:27 pm

Adunk33 wrote:
VUGrad1314 wrote:Loyola will start a home and home with Ball State this year. At this point I think Ball State should just become an MVC member. They're the fourth MVC team they'll play this year I think.

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status ... 5608841217

I know you're (probably) kidding, but I would never entertain this idea. I'll take the MVC to go 3-1 at the worst. MAC basketball... not good.

Ball state is FBS football. They won't come to the MVC. Stop worrying.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby VUGrad1314 » August 27th, 2018, 11:22 pm

Of course I was kidding. I just couldn't believe how many MVC games appear on Ball State's nonconference schedule. They've got Loyola Valpo Evansville twice and Indiana State (I think).
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby VUGrad1314 » August 28th, 2018, 1:06 am

Loyola's schedule is out and while it looks good on balance my first glance at their home slate left me unimpressed outside of Nevada. Ball State is a decent series Furman has been good the past two years but I'm not sure I trust them yet. If Furman keeps it up Niagara proves it's back on the way up, Norfolk State rights the ship, and Grambling State performs to expectations, then it's solid. Overall, it should get them into the at-large conversation if they handle their business but they really need to do well in Fort Myers ( and for Richmond and BC\Wyoming to be good) beat St Joseph's and beat at least one of Maryland and Nevada to be in the at-large conversation.

https://loyolaramblers.com/news/2018/8/ ... ath=mbball
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BEARZ77 » August 28th, 2018, 6:30 am

VUGrad1314 wrote:Loyola's schedule is out and while it looks good on balance my first glance at their home slate left me unimpressed outside of Nevada. Ball State is a decent series Furman has been good the past two years but I'm not sure I trust them yet. If Furman keeps it up Niagara proves it's back on the way up, Norfolk State rights the ship, and Grambling State performs to expectations, then it's solid. Overall, it should get them into the at-large conversation if they handle their business but they really need to do well in Fort Myers ( and for Richmond and BC\Wyoming to be good) beat St Joseph's and beat at least one of Maryland and Nevada to be in the at-large conversation.

https://loyolaramblers.com/news/2018/8/ ... ath=mbball

They have to be disappointed with that schedule; not enough surefire quality wins available and too many potential low rated teams. Nevada is great, but Maryland could be iffy[ 2-12 against group 1&2 teams, 16-1 vs group 3 &4 ] beyond just the perk for playing a P-5 team. While decent teams, Furman, Wyoming, St. Joseph, Richmond don't move the needle much. I know some people are talking about maybe a couple teams from the Valley going 16-2 /17-1, but I don't think so. Teams 1-6 should be very competitive and I just don't see anyone winning the majority of those road games. Could be hard for LOC with this noncon to secure an at-large w/o that kind of valley record however.

I truly feel for MVC coaches as we all know scheduling is difficult at this level; but it is one of the top 2-3 job skills necessary and you either get it done or you don't. The problem for LOC this year was their tournament entry didn't get them the kind of P-5 matchups you hope for.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby havoc » August 28th, 2018, 7:52 am

VUGrad1314 wrote:Of course I was kidding. I just couldn't believe how many MVC games appear on Ball State's nonconference schedule. They've got Loyola Valpo Evansville twice and Indiana State (I think).

To me, makes sense for Ball State and all of the MVC schools. In-state (expect for Loyola, still <4 hour drive), decent mid-major, recruit similar players, and most likely strikes a bigger chord with home fans than Jacksonville State or High Point. I understand the need to play against different types of styles, but these type of regional non-conference games against similar schools to me are win-wins. For Evansville, give me more Ball States, Austin Peays, Miamis (OH), Belmonts, Murray States, etc.
havoc
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby VUGrad1314 » August 28th, 2018, 8:12 am

I found Moser's quote about the difficulties of scheduling very telling vis a vis the future of scheduling in the MVC. He mentioned how P5 conferences going to 20 games as a hindrance to scheduling. This is only one beginning. It's about to get much worse. In addition to the changes that he already happened:
P5 conferences are less willing to give home and homes
The Big 10 will go to 20 conference games

We will\ may soon add the following:

The ACC will go to 20 games in 19-20

The Big 12 and Big East will begin a conference challenge\scheduling agreement (Possible Starting Date: 19-20)

The PAC 12 may go to 20 games (Possible Starting Date: 2021-22)

The BE may expand by at least one team (the target is UCONN but they may pivot to other options) and go to 20 games

Possible B 12 expansion prior to the likely 2023-25 realignment window which will be massive and impact many conferences)

Scheduling isn't going to get any easier. It makes the need for more scheduling agreements and scheduling strategies at our level all the more critical. We should expand and go to pod scheduling. I am confident the move to the NET will help us but it will help us more if we take some steps to help ourselves.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby VUGrad1314 » August 28th, 2018, 8:14 am

havoc wrote:
VUGrad1314 wrote:Of course I was kidding. I just couldn't believe how many MVC games appear on Ball State's nonconference schedule. They've got Loyola Valpo Evansville twice and Indiana State (I think).

To me, makes sense for Ball State and all of the MVC schools. In-state (expect for Loyola, still <4 hour drive), decent mid-major, recruit similar players, and most likely strikes a bigger chord with home fans than Jacksonville State or High Point. I understand the need to play against different types of styles, but these type of regional non-conference games against similar schools to me are win-wins. For Evansville, give me more Ball States, Austin Peays, Miamis (OH), Belmonts, Murray States, etc.

Hopefully the entire conference will get a big helping of Murray State and Belmont soon.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » August 28th, 2018, 9:46 am

VUGrad1314 wrote:
havoc wrote:

Hopefully the entire conference will get a big helping of Murray State and Belmont soon.

Rick Byrd is getting old. No thanks to Belmont.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby VUGrad1314 » August 28th, 2018, 9:51 am

There's a former Rick Byrd assistant at Lipscomb doing great things. If Belmont moved to the MVC and Byrd handed him to reigns I'm sure Belmont would be fine going forward.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Mikovio » August 28th, 2018, 11:38 am

havoc wrote:

Good catch on the Miamis (OH) but wouldn't that make it Balls State?
Mikovio
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball