Next years non-conference schedule

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Next years non-conference schedule

Postby AndShock » May 5th, 2018, 1:43 pm

I like that Bradley is basically guaranteeing a top 75 RPI for next season. Wardle is great, hope he turns Bradley into a power.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby VUGrad1314 » May 6th, 2018, 10:40 pm

Redbird fans need to get in Coach Muller's ear and encourage him to drop this talk of relaxing his scheduling standards after this year as doing so will hurt not only his own program but also the entire conference going forward. These scheduling comments are alarming: Barry Hinson\Marty Simmons level alarming.

http://www.videtteonline.com/sports/mul ... 6a61c.html
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Adunk33 » May 7th, 2018, 8:22 am

VUGrad1314 wrote:Redbird fans need to get in Coach Muller's ear and encourage him to drop this talk of relaxing his scheduling standards after this year as doing so will hurt not only his own program but also the entire conference going forward. These scheduling comments are alarming: Barry Hinson\Marty Simmons level alarming.

I think those comments are a little tongue-in-cheek. Muller has been a great scheduler and I do not see that changing. The lone flaw is the regularly scheduled game against Ferris State/Quincy/Lewis (one is usually exhibition, one is regular season).

In Muller's time ILST has played Maryland and Kentucky in the same week when they were No.1 and No.2 in the country, went to No. 5 Louisville, VCU, Northwestern, H/H with Dayton, H/H with St. Josephs, played at TCU, and more recently a H/H with Tusla, and is continuing with great non-con tournaments. And it seems ISU is in like year 6 of a HHH/HHH with Murray State so I assume the Birds will play @Murray State.

Next season already known games are:
They Cayman Tournament (Georgia, Creighton, Clemson, Boise State, Georgia State, St. Bonnie, Akron)
At Redbird: BYU, San Diego State, Ole Miss, and Flordia Gulf Coast.

He will be looking for a buy game but those are getting hard to come by with how close the Birds have been to beating a lot of those teams, and even some they beat.

I don't believe Muller will ever back of scheduling. From Day 1 he came in and scheduled tougher than Jankovich ever did. Fans were tired of seeing the Birds go 12-0 in the non-con against the likes of IPFW, IUPUI, Norfolk State, a bad version of St. Bonnie, Nichols State, and UC-Santa Barbara. This is much better and won't change. I believe the only reason it ever would change is that other teams just say no to playing. Which leads to a suggestion.

I think, especially come at-large NCAA tournament selection time, Non-P6 teams on the bubble should release the information of all of the teams they TRIED to play. That was the committee has a tougher time using the "who did they play?" crap. Instead, teams can say, Look, we tired to schedule team a, b, c, d, e, f, and g and all said no. What more can we do? It would lead to a little more transparency.

I realize its a long shot and would never happen but its a thought.
Adunk33
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Dean Wormer » May 7th, 2018, 8:27 am

VUGrad1314 wrote:Redbird fans need to get in Coach Muller's ear and encourage him to drop this talk of relaxing his scheduling standards after this year as doing so will hurt not only his own program but also the entire conference going forward. These scheduling comments are alarming: Barry Hinson\Marty Simmons level alarming.

Are you serious? This is from March, and was one comment fresh after the NIT selection. Muller has been very vocal and critical of the selection process for some time. If you had followed him at all, you would completely understand the context he was speaking in.

Why you would dig up one comment from March and flip out is beyond me. I would think a Valpo fan would have a lot more to worry about than a 2 month old comment from Illinois State.
Dean Wormer
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BirdsEyeView » May 7th, 2018, 9:07 am

Dean Wormer wrote:

Are you serious? This is from March, and was one comment fresh after the NIT selection. Muller has been very vocal and critical of the selection process for some time. If you had followed him at all, you would completely understand the context he was speaking in.

Why you would dig up one comment from March and flip out is beyond me. I would think a Valpo fan would have a lot more to worry about than a 2 month old comment from Illinois State.

:+1:
Non-story
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Mikovio » May 7th, 2018, 11:43 am

VUGrad1314 wrote:Bradley has been connected with the Rocky Mountain Challenge but I've heard precious little about that tournament and who it will feature. Can someone enlighten me? I'd like to see Bradley or Drake look into the Cancun Challenge (Penn State SMU Wright State) The tournament in Belfast Northern Ireland (only Buffalo committed so far) or even the Notre Dame MTE to at least get a shot at playing Notre Dame of course the tradeoff could be some pretty bad games but Notre Dame would be a good get for anyone's schedule.

The Rocky Mountain is a new tournament to be held at the US Olympic Center in Colorado Springs Nov. 19-22. The MWC is guaranteed a team and that's almost certain to be Colorado State or Air Force because those are the two Colorado teams. No word on the others but it will probably have a few from this list of unleaked teams:

American (3/12): East Carolina Pirates, Tulane Green Wave, USF Bulls
A 10 (2/14): Fordham Rams, Saint Louis Billikens
ACC (2/15): Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets, Pittsburgh Panthers
Big East (2/10): DePaul Blue Demons, Georgetown Hoyas
Big Ten (4/14): Indiana Hoosiers, Maryland Terrapins, Ohio State Buckeyes, Rutgers Scarlet Knights
SEC (3/14): Arkansas Razorbacks, Kentucky Wildcats, Vanderbilt Commodores

Drake is in the Las Vegas Classic with Washington State, New Mexico State, San Diego, Northern Alabama, SIU-Edwardsville, Northern Colorado, and Cal. State Northridge.
Mikovio
All MVC
All MVC

Postby PurpleAcesFootball » May 8th, 2018, 9:49 am

Bradley
Bradley is looking for a Top 75 RPI or best available opponent to start a H/H series in Peoria IL. We will be considered a Quadrant 1 game. Early November dates and late December available for dates.
Bradley will be a QUADRANT I matchup for any team playing at Bradley next season. NCAA now emphasizes Quadrant I games in Tournament Selection. QUADRANT I = Top 75 Road Game / Top 50 Neutral Game / Top 30 Home Game Bradley is looking for a Power 6 conference opponent to start a H/H series in Peoria.

I'm sorry. I didn't think recreational marijuana was legal in Illinois?

Bradley not only wants a P6 school for a home-home, but also to start the series in Peoria. Additionally they say they will be a Top 75 RPI team.

Ok.
PurpleAcesFootball
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby AndShock » May 8th, 2018, 10:29 am

PurpleAcesFootball wrote:
Bradley
Bradley is looking for a Top 75 RPI or best available opponent to start a H/H series in Peoria IL. We will be considered a Quadrant 1 game. Early November dates and late December available for dates.
Bradley will be a QUADRANT I matchup for any team playing at Bradley next season. NCAA now emphasizes Quadrant I games in Tournament Selection. QUADRANT I = Top 75 Road Game / Top 50 Neutral Game / Top 30 Home Game Bradley is looking for a Power 6 conference opponent to start a H/H series in Peoria.

I'm sorry. I didn't think recreational marijuana was legal in Illinois?

Bradley not only wants a P6 school for a home-home, but also to start the series in Peoria. Additionally they say they will be a Top 75 RPI team.

Ok.

It’s probably a bit of a different ballgame now but we were able to get H/Hs with TCU and Texas Tech when we were terrible.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Mikovio » May 8th, 2018, 7:16 pm

I think years of terrible Aces scheduling has fried his brain. Let's call it Martyjuana! Bradley had home and homes with TCU and Ole Miss, both started in Peoria, the last 3 years. Even Michigan like 5 years ago, and Michigan State 10. So there's no doubt it can be done.
Mikovio
All MVC
All MVC

Postby sixth ace » May 9th, 2018, 1:57 pm

ACES
ACES
ACES
I'M ONBOARD
sixth ace
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer