Next years non-conference schedule

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » December 1st, 2017, 8:55 am

There is discussion on the Redbirds board about the known non-conference schedule for the 2018-2019 season. I was wondering about other MVC teams (including Murray State) non-conference slate for next season.

Redbirds (so far):

Home:
BYU
Mississippi
San Diego State (MVC/MWC challenge rumored...not sure how they know this because I thought it went by last seasons standings)
Florida Gulf Coast

Road:
Unknown

Neutral:
Cayman Island Classic
Participants thus far are ISUr, Boise State, Creighton, Georgia, St. Bonaventure, and Clemson.

Looks pretty solid. That's a great home schedule for ISUr.
Last edited by Jsnhbe1Birds on December 18th, 2017, 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Next years non-conference schedule

Postby BCPanther » December 1st, 2017, 10:53 am

UNI doesn't have a whole lot known right now. Probably won't be as good as this year's.

Home-
Nothing currently on the books

Away-
UT-Arlington

Neutral-
Iowa in Des Moines
Paradise Jam--Unfortunately has really slipped in the past few years because they don't have a TV partner anymore.

Rumors that the Xavier series has been extended another two years. (Home and Home. 2018 in Cincy)
We're going back to the Battle 4 Atlantis in 2021, so make sure and mark your calendars...
Last edited by BCPanther on December 18th, 2017, 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby squirrel » December 18th, 2017, 1:43 pm

Here is what is known for Bradley at this point, mostly part of existing 2-for-1s:

Home
Chicago St
Eastern Illinois
SEMO
MWC TBD (unconfirmed home game)

Away
Georgia Southern
IUPUI
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » December 18th, 2017, 5:07 pm

squirrel wrote:Here is what is known for Bradley at this point, mostly part of existing 2-for-1s:

Home
Chicago St
Eastern Illinois
SEMO

Away
Georgia Southern
IUPUI

Bradley should get a decent MWC team but good lord the rest is not good.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Mikovio » December 18th, 2017, 5:43 pm

Expectations should be much higher going into next year so I hope/expect Wardle to push for stronger opponents for the remaining games.
Mikovio
All MVC
All MVC

Postby ptownbraves » December 18th, 2017, 9:25 pm

squirrel wrote:Here is what is known for Bradley at this point, mostly part of existing 2-for-1s:

Home
Chicago St
Eastern Illinois
SEMO

Away
Georgia Southern
IUPUI

:Beer:

Aside from Georgia Southern and potentially the MWC game, that's a disheartening schedule for any mid-major trying to compete for an at large, and I fully expect Bradley will be good enough to do just that next year. When you are rebuilding you have to play someone those first few years, so I'll give them a pass this one time. The remainder of the schedule will be telling what kind of vision Wardle & Co. have for the future of the program: padding the win column like some former Bradley coaches or taking the UNI approach and scheduling challenging competition that actually gives you a shot an an at-large if you lose in St. Louis.
ptownbraves
All MVC
All MVC

Postby TheAsianSensation » December 18th, 2017, 10:48 pm

I think much of Bradley's sked was left open in order to schedule up once they show prospective opponents that they won't be a SoS drain next year. Those will be the softest games on the schedule, or there will be rioting in Peoria, IMO.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Old School MVC » December 19th, 2017, 2:11 pm

The problem is, if any quality opponents think you are going to be good, they will not want to schedule you H&H. UNI has made a name for themselves so they seem to be able to get good teams to play them. The rest of the teams just hope you can get a P5 team to schedule them. I am not sure it is an easy task to schedule up. We all talk about making a tougher schedule, but I think after a lot of "No Thank You" responses, at some point frustration settles in and teams have to take what they can get.
Old School MVC
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby VUGrad1314 » December 19th, 2017, 10:04 pm

Then play other top mid majors. Problem solved.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby VUGrad1314 » December 28th, 2017, 12:29 am

Indiana State will play in next year's Diamond Head Classic along with St Mary's Rhode Island Colorado UNLV TCU Hawaii and Charlotte Great field and a fantastic opportunity for the Sycamores. (this according to well-connected MWC writer Eli Boettger.)
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball