MVC Games - Mon 12/4-Sun 12/10

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC Games - Mon 12/4-Sun 12/10

Postby scotte101 » December 11th, 2017, 4:06 pm

uniftw wrote:
scotte101 wrote:In no certain order:
MSU was picked to win the conference.
We have a great roster loaded with upperclassmen.
We have a potential NBA draft pick on our team.
Wichita is no longer in the conference.

Other than the NBA player that sounds like a bunch of wishful maroon colored thinking

Yes, you have 10 JRs and SRs, but to call them a great/loaded roster is objectively a stretch. I'll grant you Alize but:

Rousseau left the the team last season. He was a nice, above average player before he left the team at 11 points 2 boards 3 assists
Rhodes was average, at best. Shot 42% as a forward. 7 points 3 boards
J.T. Miller wasn't on the roster but appears to be a slightly above average player
Bhullar averaged like 2 points per game at 7'2 in the WAC

Dixon was average to slightly above average at 8 points 2 boards
Kreklow is a good/average MVC player
Church is slighly above average to good
Scurry and Burd are JUCO transfers

MSU being picked to win the conference was based on a S ton of speculation that Lusk could actually coach a team and develop athletes in to basketball players. Something he hasn't been able to show he can do.

MSU has as much/less proven players on their roster as UNI does and UNI was poo pooed by literally everyone outside of Cedar Falls because of how unproven the team was without Morgan.

I've been pleasantly surprised by the number of wins the conference has this year OOC. It's a good thing. There are some losses though that just leave me in complete awe though. ORU and NDSU in the same season? I know MSU got NDSU back, but at home to NDSU is mind bottling.

Even Valpo's loss to Purdue. It's not that they lost. It's how they lost.

Things certainly don't look as dark as they did before the season, but a bunch of teams have a ton to prove yet....including my Panthers.

I'm all about the maroon colored thinking :)
scotte101
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Blers » December 11th, 2017, 5:38 pm

scotte101 wrote:
uniftw wrote:

Other than the NBA player that sounds like a bunch of wishful maroon colored thinking

Yes, you have 10 JRs and SRs, but to call them a great/loaded roster is objectively a stretch. I'll grant you Alize but:

Rousseau left the the team last season. He was a nice, above average player before he left the team at 11 points 2 boards 3 assists
J.T. Miller wasn't on the roster but appears to be a slightly above average player

MSU being picked to win the conference was based on a S ton of speculation that Lusk could actually coach a team and develop athletes in to basketball players. Something he hasn't been able to show he can do.

MSU has as much/less proven players on their roster as UNI does and UNI was poo pooed by literally everyone outside of Cedar Falls because of how unproven the team was without Morgan.

I've been pleasantly surprised by the number of wins the conference has this year OOC. It's a good thing. There are some losses though that just leave me in complete awe though. ORU and NDSU in the same season? I know MSU got NDSU back, but at home to NDSU is mind bottling.

Things certainly don't look as dark as they did before the season, but a bunch of teams have a ton to prove yet....including my Panthers.

I'm all about the maroon colored thinking :)

I think Scotte101 made a pretty fair arguement and you kinda backed it up with your analysis...?

-obejectively were the preseason favorite, many coaches talked about how they had the most talent at media day.
-they’re have a good amount of really solid players to above average players+Alize
-minus Wichita the conference is more open

By roster I think MSU should be better than everyone on paper. But they’re not, I feel like Alize should be making way more noise than he is. But he’s not. Which is on the coach. They’re 9-3 but they don’t feel like it. And given the internal and external expectations this season would be a massive disappointment if they don’t make the tourney

What’s your proven player arguement exactly? Seriously, not sarcastic, I’m interested to hear; I’ve been super impressed with UNI this year but I just don’t know if I agree with that they had more “proven” players coming into the season. As a team now? Sure, I’m more basing this from am expectations stand point.
Blers
All MVC
All MVC

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » December 11th, 2017, 6:25 pm

Loyola received votes in both polls this week, and UNI was receiving votes in the AP poll.
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby bleach » December 11th, 2017, 7:02 pm

uniftw wrote:In general, I take out the first two or three years of each coaches tenure out as they are mostly the previous coaches players and "program" foundation.

Taking the first three years out of Lusk's stats he is

11-20 (5-13)
13-19 (8-10)
17-16 (7-11)
9-3 (0-0) but they have looked far from impressive given their SoS so far

That is 50-58 46.3% (20-34 37.0%)

Including his first 3 he is 97-109 (47.1) 45-64 (41.3)

You left out the 2 wins he got that season at D3 Dubuque!
They cited them on the broadcast yesterday like they were ready to pop the champagne on win no. 100!
bleach
All MVC
All MVC

Postby glm38 » December 11th, 2017, 7:51 pm

uniftw wrote:

I'm obviously a Bears fan but I'll disagree. I think our first eight are better than the first eight of any other valley squad. Then you add in Alize as probably the best player in the Valley. It's not just Bears fans that thought we have the overall best talent. There were quite a number of predictions the Bears would win the Valley. This despite Lusk's wretched record as a head coach. To me that says it all.

But it likely doesn't matter one way or the other. The Bears won't win the Valley with our current head coach. And if he somehow posts a winning conference record he'll likely be around a lot longer.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball