MVC team standing prediction

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC team standing prediction

Postby Redbirds4Life » December 20th, 2017, 11:17 am

Yeah, was very wrong about Loyola, they are much better than I thought. Missouri State is talented, but so poorly coached. Dirty Dan's Birds are a year away. I think the boys can beat anyone in the Valley, but they can easily lose to anyone in the Valley, home or away. At the end of the day, this season in the MVC will be a bloodbath.

Northern Iowa
Loyola
Missouri State
Southern Illinois
Illinois State
Bradley
Valparaiso
Evansville
Drake
Indiana State

1 and 2 are a toss up for me, but I think that Jacobson > Moser, so UNI get the nod.
Redbirds4Life
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby chitown fanatic » December 20th, 2017, 3:06 pm

Bradley will surprise A LOT of the posters here this season...and now theyre shooting well outside too. ISU red is a complete sh*tshow that will implode further as the year goes on.....don't be surprised if theyre on the edge of Thursday all season.
chitown fanatic
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Redbirds4Life » December 20th, 2017, 3:53 pm

chitown fanatic wrote:Bradley will surprise A LOT of the posters here this season...and now theyre shooting well outside too. ISU red is a complete sh*tshow that will implode further as the year goes on.....don't be surprised if theyre on the edge of Thursday all season.

I think you are spot on with Bradley, I think they will be tough this year. Wardle is a good coach and I think he proves it in league play.

As for ISUr, I don't think they will be on Thursday, because I believe from 6 to 7 is a big gap. I do think they will struggle in league play. It is just not that good of a team and the rest of the league improving doesn't help. I hope I am wrong and they finish in 1st, but I am not holding my breath. I would say best case for them is 3rd and worst case is 6th. With that said, I still think the bottom 4 are solidly Drake, Evansville, Indiana State and Valpo.
Redbirds4Life
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby bcg » December 20th, 2017, 8:22 pm

This is a nice Bradley team, but it still has alot of flaws. Only 3 or 4 guys show up each game and it is always a different group.

It's a fun and frustrating group to watch. If I had to guess, they will go 9-9 over the Valley season.

The potential of Childs went up another notch after he made three consecutive threes.
bcg
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby freddycat68 » December 20th, 2017, 8:58 pm

bcg wrote:This is a nice Bradley team, but it still has alot of flaws. Only 3 or 4 guys show up each game and it is always a different group.

It's a fun and frustrating group to watch. If I had to guess, they will go 9-9 over the Valley season.

The potential of Childs went up another notch after he made three consecutive threes.

Agree with all this, but you pegged the scariest thing about BU -- it's 10-2 and has yet to hit on all cylinders. If 8 or 9 of these guys can get going the same night, yikes. And Wardle is a stud. What a hard-nosed brand of basketball he coaches. Swarming defense, knock-your-teeth-out rebounding, swagger, just relentless effort. Geno is becoming a distant memory.
freddycat68
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby ptownbraves » December 20th, 2017, 9:38 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:Posted on RedbirdFan by ADunk..

RealTime RPI update:
UNI- 23rd RPI, 5th SOS
ILST- 76 RPI, 16th SOS
UE- 106 RPI, 260 SOS
Valpo- 111 RPI, 256 SOS
LUC- 120 RPI, 315 SOS
MoState- 131 RPI, 261 SOS
BU- 158 RPI, 323 SOS **Worst SOS in the MVC**
SIU- 193 RPI, 252 SOS
INST- 219 RPI, 123 SOS
DU- 221 RPI, 209 SOS

Bradley can call this a great rebuild all they want when you are playing the 323rd best SOS in the country.
Loyola not any better at 315.

Really only UNI and ISUr are trying with elite SOS to attain at large contention. Obviously, ISUr has no shot of that regardless playing with 8 scholarship players (sometimes 7) in out of conference.

Using RPI metrics in December is not what I would use to analyze how good or bad a team is or whether a multi-year rebuild is successful. The schedule hasn't been great, but that isn't a verdict on how they'll be in conference play. If you've watched this year's team play compared to last year's team, it is a noticeable difference.
ptownbraves
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdsEyeView » December 21st, 2017, 8:59 am

ptownbraves wrote:

RealTime RPI update:
UNI- 23rd RPI, 5th SOS
ILST- 76 RPI, 16th SOS
UE- 106 RPI, 260 SOS
Valpo- 111 RPI, 256 SOS
LUC- 120 RPI, 315 SOS
SIU- 193 RPI, 252 SOS
INST- 219 RPI, 123 SOS
DU- 221 RPI, 209 SOS

Bradley can call this a great rebuild all they want when you are playing the 323rd best SOS in the country.

Really only UNI and ISUr are trying with elite SOS to attain at large contention. Obviously, ISUr has no shot of that regardless playing with 8 scholarship players (sometimes 7) in out of conference.

Using RPI metrics in December is not what I would use to analyze how good or bad a team is or whether a multi-year rebuild is successful. The schedule hasn't been great, but that isn't a verdict on how they'll be in conference play. If you've watched this year's team play compared to last year's team, it is a noticeable difference.

At no point did I reference the RPI side of that data. In fact, I posted elsewhere the current KenPom rankings which is a much better predictor than RPI anyway.

I am happy you are getting better, it's good for the conference and our rivalry, but you have beaten nobody of consequence yet. Defeat Ole Miss and we can talk about you all finishing top 3 like some of the Bradley fans are predicting this year in conference.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby chitown fanatic » December 21st, 2017, 9:24 am

BirdsEyeView wrote:
ptownbraves wrote:

RealTime RPI update:
UNI- 23rd RPI, 5th SOS
ILST- 76 RPI, 16th SOS
UE- 106 RPI, 260 SOS
Valpo- 111 RPI, 256 SOS
LUC- 120 RPI, 315 SOS
SIU- 193 RPI, 252 SOS
INST- 219 RPI, 123 SOS
DU- 221 RPI, 209 SOS

At no point did I reference the RPI side of that data. In fact, I posted elsewhere the current KenPom rankings which is a much better predictor than RPI anyway.

I am happy you are getting better, it's good for the conference and our rivalry, but you have beaten nobody of consequence yet. Defeat Ole Miss and we can talk about you all finishing top 3 like some of the Bradley fans are predicting this year in conference.

That is fair but I'm more concerned now with beating the Drake. Bradley needs a fast start in conference play as February is brutal for us. Ill trade a loss tomorrow for a win next Thursday before our UNI showdown NYE. Turnovers are the Achilles heel for this team but they move the ball very well and defend better than any BU team Ive seen in over 20 years. If they shoot the way they have post JoJo, they will definitely contend...SEMO is equivalent to about half the valley teams this year, and with the shux gone, there really isn't the physical team we struggle with to speak of other than maybe Loyola.
chitown fanatic
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby ptownbraves » December 21st, 2017, 9:56 pm

Since the non-con is nearly wrapped up and the first conference games are being played this weekend, here is where the league stands in KenPom as of 12/21:

75 - Missouri State
84 - Northern Iowa
93 - Loyola
100 - Bradley
126 - Valpo
142 - SIU
143 - ISUr
161 - Evansville
175 - Indiana State
198 - Drake

7 teams under 150 and everyone under 200. :Cheers:
ptownbraves
All MVC
All MVC

Postby municup14 » December 23rd, 2017, 9:16 am

It will interesting to see how my Aces do when we get healthy.My concern
is we I'll be 0 and 3 to start Valley play and we might be behind the eight ball before everyone gets healthy.In case nobody knows 2 starters and our top reserve player have been out for 3 weeks.Now
our starting PG,Boo will probably miss his second game in a row and maybe more due to his knee flaring up
municup14
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball