O/U - number of NCAA tourney teams from Valley

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

# of MVC teams that make the NCAA tournament?

Under 1.5
78%
Over 1.5
22%

Total votes : 46

Re: O/U - number of NCAA tourney teams from Valley

Postby TheAsianSensation » January 7th, 2018, 3:45 pm

What a year not to produce at-large teams. We're going to have trouble getting to 36 at-large teams this year. Legitimate trouble.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BirdsEyeView » January 7th, 2018, 5:09 pm

AndShock wrote:At-large talk is 100% done this season. In the current college basketball climate an MVC team basically has to be perfect and that ship has sailed.

Missouri State and UNi are the only teams realistically capable of winning games in the NCAA tournament, imo. If Missouri State goes 14-4 or better then I could see them getting an 11 or 12 seed. That doesn’t mean they’ll be close to an at-large, I just think the committee will give them a little bump since they’re in the tournament anyways. Anyone else is probably a 13 or 14. A 14 seed UNI would be terrifying if I were a 3 seed.

UNI is terrible
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby bufan741777 » January 7th, 2018, 5:15 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:
AndShock wrote:At-large talk is 100% done this season. In the current college basketball climate an MVC team basically has to be perfect and that ship has sailed.

Missouri State and UNi are the only teams realistically capable of winning games in the NCAA tournament, imo. If Missouri State goes 14-4 or better then I could see them getting an 11 or 12 seed. That doesn’t mean they’ll be close to an at-large, I just think the committee will give them a little bump since they’re in the tournament anyways. Anyone else is probably a 13 or 14. A 14 seed UNI would be terrifying if I were a 3 seed.

UNI is terrible

Agreed. The basketball they were playing is not the basketball they are playing. They need to stop being mentioned as a great team that is struggling. 6 losses in a row and an 8-8 record is nothing to think highly of.
bufan741777
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby RedbirdLisa » January 7th, 2018, 5:26 pm

BEARZ77 wrote:
VUGrad1314 wrote:
MSUDuo wrote:The Bears could go 18-0 and lose in STL and still wouldn't get in.

My first thought was"wow what a ridiculous statement" then I thought "He may be right Where's the signature nonconference victory? They'd probably end up with the Illinois State treatment." If only they had a nonconference resume like UNI or Illinois State.

You're looking at names instead of numbers; right now MSU has two road wins against higher rpi teams than any ISU or UNI victories. Now I doubt those teams [ SDSU/WK] remain that high unless they really run the tables in their conferences, and teams like South Carolina can move up with a good conference record, but as of today those are the facts. That said, I don't give MSU much chance at an at-large unless we pretty much go 17-1 or better, which won't happen.

names instead of numbers is what the committee looks at. Sad but true.
RedbirdLisa
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby AndShock » January 7th, 2018, 6:18 pm

bufan741777 wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:

UNI is terrible

Agreed. The basketball they were playing is not the basketball they are playing. They need to stop being mentioned as a great team that is struggling. 6 losses in a row and an 8-8 record is nothing to think highly of.

When you have the 2nd slowest tempo in D1 a lot of games are gonna come down to coin flips. They won 4 coin flips OoC. They might have another 10 coin flips left in conference. UNI isn’t good, they’re not bad. They’re going to be in games in St. Louis. If they can avoid Thursday I like their chances as much as anyone not named Missouri State. I like their chances in the NCAA tournament more than anyone not named Missouri State just because of Jacobson’s history.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball