2018 MVC - Opening Week

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: 2018 MVC - Opening Week

Postby Majik45 » December 31st, 2017, 6:41 pm

Interesting results today.

Is Drake actually good?

Is UNI a fraud?

Is Missouri state living up to their pre season expectations?

All I can say is that this year is going to be very interesting. If you don't bring your A game every night, you may get beat. Doesn't matter home or away
Majik45
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player
 
Posts: 163
Joined: March 2nd, 2011, 4:07 pm

Re: 2018 MVC - Opening Week

Sponsor

Sponsor
 

Re: 2018 MVC - Opening Week

Postby MVCfans » December 31st, 2017, 6:45 pm

I said on twitter earlier in the week that this might be one of those seasons where 12-6 or worse wins the league. Now maybe MSU or someone (ahem, Drake) surprises us, but not having a dominant team or two should make for a lot of fun this year.
User avatar
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com
 
Posts: 3572
Joined: August 3rd, 2010, 9:09 pm

Re: 2018 MVC - Opening Week

Postby bleach » December 31st, 2017, 6:59 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:Birds move to 2-0 despite missing our leading scorer.

Yarbrough has to be early favorite for MVC Player of the Year


Uh, maybe, I guess. I can see him being ONE of the EARLY favorites but, Alize seemed to barely impact the game today and had 10pts 12 reb 4 asst. and was doubled anytime he touched the ball inside the arc.
I've seen Yarbrough play and he's good but I don't think he's getting the attention Alize is.
bleach
All MVC
All MVC
 
Posts: 702
Joined: January 8th, 2011, 9:26 am
Location: SW Missouri

Re: 2018 MVC - Opening Week

Postby BirdsEyeView » December 31st, 2017, 7:09 pm

bleach wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:Birds move to 2-0 despite missing our leading scorer.

Yarbrough has to be early favorite for MVC Player of the Year


Uh, maybe, I guess. I can see him being ONE of the EARLY favorites but, Alize seemed to barely impact the game today and had 10pts 12 reb 4 asst. and was doubled anytime he touched the ball inside the arc.
I've seen Yarbrough play and he's good but I don't think he's getting the attention Alize is.


Gotta root for your own guy right? It's homerism at its best!
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer
 
Posts: 1330
Joined: February 28th, 2014, 12:51 pm

Re: 2018 MVC - Opening Week

Postby freddycat68 » December 31st, 2017, 7:59 pm

Majik45 wrote:Interesting results today.

Is Drake actually good?

Is UNI a fraud?

Is Missouri state living up to their pre season expectations?

All I can say is that this year is going to be very interesting. If you don't bring your A game every night, you may get beat. Doesn't matter home or away

Very.
Yes.
No.
We'll see.
True that.
freddycat68
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit
 
Posts: 20
Joined: November 9th, 2013, 9:09 pm

Re: 2018 MVC - Opening Week

Postby jsaluki080 » January 1st, 2018, 9:17 am

What’s going on? Is Drake actually gonna be in the upper echelon? I hope so, otherwise the pain of my salukis loosing will be magnified. :)
jsaluki080
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit
 
Posts: 22
Joined: April 14th, 2013, 8:26 am

Re: 2018 MVC - Opening Week

Postby COUTEAU » January 1st, 2018, 10:24 am

Majik45 wrote:Interesting results today.

Is Drake actually good?

Is UNI a fraud?

Is Missouri state living up to their pre season expectations?

All I can say is that this year is going to be very interesting. If you don't bring your A game every night, you may get beat. Doesn't matter home or away


As well as VALLEY schools, played in the pre-MVC part of the season.
And....as much as each team, is going to beat up on each other, during VALLEY play....followed up by the same in St Louis...
Whoever represents The Missouri Valley Conference in the tournament will, be a tough out and should be battle tested enough to make a dent come March.
User avatar
COUTEAU
MVC starter
MVC starter
 
Posts: 317
Joined: October 2nd, 2012, 8:25 am
Location: Seaside, Florida

Re: 2018 MVC - Opening Week

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » January 1st, 2018, 10:54 am

COUTEAU wrote:
Majik45 wrote:Interesting results today.

Is Drake actually good?

Is UNI a fraud?

Is Missouri state living up to their pre season expectations?

All I can say is that this year is going to be very interesting. If you don't bring your A game every night, you may get beat. Doesn't matter home or away


As well as VALLEY schools, played in the pre-MVC part of the season.
And....as much as each team, is going to beat up on each other, during VALLEY play....followed up by the same in St Louis...
Whoever represents The Missouri Valley Conference in the tournament will, be a tough out and should be battle tested enough to make a dent come March.


I'm not trying to be the grammar police...but seriously? You have four comma's in your post and none of them are even required.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC starter
MVC starter
 
Posts: 393
Joined: April 10th, 2017, 4:20 pm

Re: 2018 MVC - Opening Week

Postby tribecalledquest » January 1st, 2018, 11:20 am

UNI fans--is Klint Carlson as frustrating to you as he seems to be to me?

He has immense physical gifts but seems to love roaming around the perimeter thinking hes Magic Johnson. He doesnt use his phyisicality at all and he disappears way more than he should.

Am I wrong?

Also---Juwan McCloud hasn't been what you guys had hoped right? I admit--I thought he would be a stud in this league.
tribecalledquest
All MVC
All MVC
 
Posts: 964
Joined: August 4th, 2010, 10:57 am

Re: 2018 MVC - Opening Week

Postby ACECARD » January 1st, 2018, 12:58 pm

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:
COUTEAU wrote:
Majik45 wrote:Interesting results today.

Is Drake actually good?

Is UNI a fraud?

Is Missouri state living up to their pre season expectations?

All I can say is that this year is going to be very interesting. If you don't bring your A game every night, you may get beat. Doesn't matter home or away


As well as VALLEY schools, played in the pre-MVC part of the season.
And....as much as each team, is going to beat up on each other, during VALLEY play....followed up by the same in St Louis...
Whoever represents The Missouri Valley Conference in the tournament will, be a tough out and should be battle tested enough to make a dent come March.


I'm not trying to be the grammar police...but seriously? You have four comma's in your post and none of them are even required.

He has also predicted that the Aces would lose only one game in the last three years.
ACECARD
All MVC
All MVC
 
Posts: 629
Joined: August 13th, 2010, 7:41 pm

Re: 2018 MVC - Opening Week

Postby glm38 » January 1st, 2018, 3:39 pm

bleach wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:Birds move to 2-0 despite missing our leading scorer.

Yarbrough has to be early favorite for MVC Player of the Year


Uh, maybe, I guess. I can see him being ONE of the EARLY favorites but, Alize seemed to barely impact the game today and had 10pts 12 reb 4 asst. and was doubled anytime he touched the ball inside the arc.
I've seen Yarbrough play and he's good but I don't think he's getting the attention Alize is.


I'm not sure I've ever seen a Valley player as consistently double and triple teamed like Alize has been this year. It's literally almost every time he touches the ball in half court situations. It opens things up for other Bears players but does hurt his scoring opportunities.
User avatar
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer
 
Posts: 2315
Joined: July 3rd, 2011, 2:00 pm
Location: Springfield, MO

Re: 2018 MVC - Opening Week

Postby BCPanther » January 2nd, 2018, 12:55 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:UNI fans--is Klint Carlson as frustrating to you as he seems to be to me?

He has immense physical gifts but seems to love roaming around the perimeter thinking hes Magic Johnson. He doesnt use his phyisicality at all and he disappears way more than he should.

Am I wrong?

Also---Juwan McCloud hasn't been what you guys had hoped right? I admit--I thought he would be a stud in this league.


Yes. Klint has had stretches where he is the best player on the floor (NCAA Tournament two years ago, Oklahoma last year) and then stretches where he is either absent or a liability. In the end, there is a reason he was a 4 for 5. If he had the mentality to be a dominant player, he wouldn't be in The Valley. Combine him with not always engaged Bennett Koch and you've got two guys who should be the best frontcourt in the Valley but can't consistently put it together.

Juwan, I've been enocuraged by his growth this year. He's shot the ball much, much better. He's become a very good defender. He falls in love with the dribble and becomes a black hole at times. I've not given up yet but you aren't incorrect in that he's been a bit of a disappointment.

The other one that is really discouraging to most of us at UNI is Luke McDonnell. He was really well thought of coming out of Dubuque, Evan Flood called him the steal of the class and that he'd have a chance to be an All Big Ten Forward at Wisconsin and he can't even get on the floor...
BCPanther
All MVC
All MVC
 
Posts: 856
Joined: August 8th, 2010, 9:10 am

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


cron