2018 MVC - Opening Week

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: 2018 MVC - Opening Week

Postby ACECARD » December 28th, 2017, 9:14 pm

Watched parts of all three games tonight. Salukis looked the best. Played really great defense against the Panthers, and made enough offensive plays to pull out the win. Great win on the road. Ind. St. hit a bunch of three's to beat Valpo. Valpo's first game in the Valley wasn't so good. Drake outlasted Bradley by 2 points. Looks like it will be a fight for first place, as well as a fight for last place this year.
ACECARD
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BirdsEyeView » December 28th, 2017, 9:21 pm

UNI likely just had their bubble burst in game 1 of MVC play. With that offense, I don't see them going 15-2 the rest of the way, which is what they would need to have a chance at an at-large
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DUBulldog » December 28th, 2017, 9:41 pm

I'd give Drake's offense about a D or D- (no D+) today, but still found a way to get it done. Definitely a gut check win.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby VUGrad1314 » December 28th, 2017, 10:13 pm

Drake is going to be a really good program in another year or two.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BEARZ77 » December 29th, 2017, 8:09 am

Said all along that SIU could win this year; saw Barry do well with this type of team many times. Now , he's very capable of some head scratchers as well, but he'll have this team in the race all the way. They'll defend, have veterans, depth once healthy, and just enough offense. Jake will have UNI in the race, that's what good coaches do, but they are not as talented as 4-5 other teams, so his work is cut out for him.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redbirds4Life » December 29th, 2017, 8:41 am

Bradley let me down, really had high hopes for them this year. I am not off of them yet, but losing the opener to Drake is hard to explain. I think Bradley is the better team, but they just got out played by Drake. I still think Bradley avoids Thursday, but it might be closer than I thought.
Redbirds4Life
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » December 29th, 2017, 9:17 am

Redbirds4Life wrote:Bradley let me down, really had high hopes for them this year. I am not off of them yet, but losing the opener to Drake is hard to explain. I think Bradley is the better team, but they just got out played by Drake. I still think Bradley avoids Thursday, but it might be closer than I thought.

So close that it will be Thusday. Indiana State, Valparaiso, and Drake are 8,9,10. Is there anyone you think that is worse than Bradley besides those three? ISUr? Loyola? Evansville? MoSt? SIU? UNI? All no. I thought Evansville would be down there before the season started but they aren't bad at all.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redbirds4Life » December 29th, 2017, 9:24 am

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:
Redbirds4Life wrote:Bradley let me down, really had high hopes for them this year. I am not off of them yet, but losing the opener to Drake is hard to explain. I think Bradley is the better team, but they just got out played by Drake. I still think Bradley avoids Thursday, but it might be closer than I thought.

So close that it will be Thusday. Indiana State, Valparaiso, and Drake are 8,9,10. Is there anyone you think that is worse than Bradley besides those three? ISUr? Loyola? Evansville? MoSt? SIU? UNI? All no. I thought Evansville would be down there before the season started but they aren't bad at all.

Evansville. I think I still would take Bradley to finish ahead of them. The Aces looked tough against the Birds last week, but I don't think ISU has it completely figured out yet. Plus, Evansville was home. I think if that game was in Normal, might not have been as close. I think they are your best bet to push Bradley to Thursday, but I would take Bradley. I am not ready to completely write-off Kaboom this early.
Redbirds4Life
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BirdsEyeView » December 29th, 2017, 9:45 am

Far too early to tell the outlook of this conference 1-10...

The KenPom parity of this conference is as close as it's ever been. Peaking at #71 with Missouri St. and the lowest is Drake at #189. The nice thing is there is no cellar dwellars anymore
A far cry from the huge spread we had last year. Should be a fun season and "upsets" galore to keep us on our toes.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DUBulldog » December 29th, 2017, 11:24 pm

Most of the computer models had the game as pretty much a 50-50 proposition....Drake won by 2....not sure that's hard to explain. I'm not going to lie; Drake didn't even play that well.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball