2018 MVC - Week 2

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: 2018 MVC - Week 2

Postby VUGrad1314 » January 3rd, 2018, 10:32 pm

Where before there was only Timmer, there is now Timmer plus a legitimate coach and supporting cast. Watch out guys. The Bulldogs are for real and they are dangerous.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby TheAsianSensation » January 3rd, 2018, 10:37 pm

Valpo got their initiation with the Valley Refs™ tonight.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby bufan741777 » January 3rd, 2018, 10:37 pm

TheAsianSensation wrote:Valpo got their initiation with the Valley Refs™ tonight.

Welcome to the party! :buddies:
bufan741777
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby underdawg » January 3rd, 2018, 11:40 pm

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:What’s the deal with SalukiNation? About 4 people (myself included) posted that SIU has gone through adversity with injuries and curious to see what a healthy Saluki team does next year, and an admin deleted the posts.

S Nation is now troll city--Hinson certainly isn't perfect but the hate is strong for Hinson no matter what he does. Some mods there agree with that assessment (though not all)-you might have run into one of those who has a jaundice view of Hinson--just guessing
underdawg
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » January 3rd, 2018, 11:45 pm

underdawg wrote:
MissouriValleyUnite wrote:What’s the deal with SalukiNation? About 4 people (myself included) posted that SIU has gone through adversity with injuries and curious to see what a healthy Saluki team does next year, and an admin deleted the posts.

S Nation is now troll city--Hinson certainly isn't perfect but the hate is strong for Hinson no matter what he does. Some mods there agree with that assessment (though not all)-you might have run into one of those who has a jaundice view of Hinson--just guessing

I hardly view that site and that’s the second time I’ve noticed pro-Hinson posts disappearing, lol.

Hinson is causing Carbondale to implode. :bow:
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby jsaluki080 » January 4th, 2018, 8:02 am

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:
underdawg wrote:

I hardly view that site and that’s the second time I’ve noticed pro-Hinson posts disappearing, lol.

When SIU was top of the league for much of the 2000s, there was alot of chatter that we were gonna be like the next Gonzaga. We landed our highest ranked recruits and enthusiasm was at an all time high when things suddenly and incomprehensibly came crashing down.
Some people are still deeply enamored with those earlier years and any coach who fails to recapture our prior success faces the full ire of salukination.
jsaluki080
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby BEARZ77 » January 4th, 2018, 8:09 am

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:
underdawg wrote:

That's pretty much what happened in Springfield as Barry eventually was a very polarizing figure among the fan base. There are things you love about the guy, but his act can get old when he's not winning enough. I truly felt fate dealt him an unfair blow at MSU because he clearly had 2 and possibly a 3rd team worthy of NCAA selection. Give him those and he probably would still be coaching here. He also lost 3 times in the MVC Tourney final. That and he was let go the year before we opened JQH, another bitter pill for him. Now this year when he had a really solid club, injuries have really hurt. His is a career of just missed opportunities.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Kip Dynamite » January 4th, 2018, 8:49 am

Yeah, just wait. When the heat gets too hot, he'll tell you he rescued someone from a burning car on the interstate like he did with the MSU fanbase. We tried to warn you before you hired him.
Kip Dynamite
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Adunk33 » January 4th, 2018, 9:05 am

DUBulldog wrote:Coming into the game, I thought Drake had a decent chance. Never expected the complete dismantling that I saw. Drake was up 14 at half, and after the first few minutes of the second half, ISU never got closer than 15. Drake had an answer for every ISU bucket.

Timmer with 28.
De'Tae McMurray with 12 points, 7 rebounds, 7 assists
Nick McGlynn 11 points, 13 rebounds
Jalen Gibbs 12 points in 13 minutes

ILST seemed content trading buckets when Drake was up 10+. Watching that game last night as an ILST fan, I was reminded of those great UNI teams of the early-mid 2010's. Great ball movement, great shooting, led by veterans, and even in the rare occasion the Birds did play defense, Drake hit an NBA range or contested 3. 15 three's is impressive.

I don't think ILST will be the same team the next time Drake and ILST play. They don't play again until the second to last game of the season. Last night was ILST's first game playing with the "whole team" available. I say that, but Keyshawn Evans was not 100% after missing the game against INST.

I think DU's game at INST will show us a little more. INST is more of a road test than Valpo, who quite frankly... looks BAD.

Another tough game for the Birds this week. The leading candidates for MVC POY will matchup. Alize vs Milik. Should be a fun one.
Adunk33
All MVC
All MVC

Postby bufan741777 » January 4th, 2018, 9:23 am

Adunk33 wrote:
DUBulldog wrote:Coming into the game, I thought Drake had a decent chance. Never expected the complete dismantling that I saw. Drake was up 14 at half, and after the first few minutes of the second half, ISU never got closer than 15. Drake had an answer for every ISU bucket.

Timmer with 28.
De'Tae McMurray with 12 points, 7 rebounds, 7 assists
Nick McGlynn 11 points, 13 rebounds
Jalen Gibbs 12 points in 13 minutes

ILST seemed content trading buckets when Drake was up 10+. Watching that game last night as an ILST fan, I was reminded of those great UNI teams of the early-mid 2010's. Great ball movement, great shooting, led by veterans, and even in the rare occasion the Birds did play defense, Drake hit an NBA range or contested 3. 15 three's is impressive.

I don't think ILST will be the same team the next time Drake and ILST play. They don't play again until the second to last game of the season. Last night was ILST's first game playing with the "whole team" available. I say that, but Keyshawn Evans was not 100% after missing the game against INST.

I think DU's game at INST will show us a little more. INST is more of a road test than Valpo, who quite frankly... looks BAD.

Another tough game for the Birds this week. The leading candidates for MVC POY will matchup. Alize vs Milik. Should be a fun one.

People keep talking about ISU's offence and how much three players can carry a whole team. I feel that many people fail to bring up their defense. It seems that even against lower level teams that they should win that their defense keeps the game close and doesn't allow their team to pull away until the last minute of regulation or overtime. LAst four games...

UIC +1
EU +6
ISUb +3
DU -25

It seems to me that they will pick up more losses in close games if their D doesn't help out the three players that average significant points per game.
bufan741777
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball