2018 MVC - Week 2

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: 2018 MVC - Week 2

Postby glm38 » January 4th, 2018, 9:54 pm

bufan741777 wrote:Boy do the Bears look like the team to beat this year. The amount of offensive and defensive talent on this team is great. UNI hasn't had a sound possession for a long time and the Bears are now scoring with ease.

Remember when someone on this forum recently posted that he was unimpressed with the Bears talent? That the Bears had Alize and a bunch of average players. What was that guy smoking??

Still not convinced we can get it done due to coaching but we sure are loaded from a talent standpoint.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby bufan741777 » January 4th, 2018, 9:59 pm

glm38 wrote:
bufan741777 wrote:Boy do the Bears look like the team to beat this year. The amount of offensive and defensive talent on this team is great. UNI hasn't had a sound possession for a long time and the Bears are now scoring with ease.

Remember when someone on this forum recently posted that he was unimpressed with the Bears talent? That the Bears had Alize and a bunch of average players. What was that guy smoking??

Still not convinced we can get it done due to coaching but we sure are loaded from a talent standpoint.

I have seen nothing but a talented group that is fun to watch offensively and defensively. I have you guys as the solid first place team in the regular season. Anything goes as far as Arch Madness is concerned.

On another note, UNI finally decided to show up and are playing with energy for the first time in the second half. MSU needs to put this one away after such a great game.
bufan741777
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby bufan741777 » January 4th, 2018, 10:04 pm

bufan741777 wrote:
glm38 wrote:

I have seen nothing but a talented group that is fun to watch offensively and defensively. I have you guys as the solid first place team in the regular season. Anything goes as far as Arch Madness is concerned.

On another note, UNI finally decided to show up and are playing with energy for the first time in the second half. MSU needs to put this one away after such a great game.

UNI just had all of the chances to comeback! Way too many missed FTs at the end of the game for the Bears.
bufan741777
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby BEARZ77 » January 4th, 2018, 10:45 pm

Bears had a pretty putrid night offensively, got nothing from the backcourt sans Miller. Alize with 24 pts, 20 rebounds. UNI fought back late when the Bears got sloppy with a 19 point lead and began missing foul shots, but this game really wasn't that close.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby AndShock » January 5th, 2018, 12:02 am

The Bears are fast approaching top 50 KenPom status which is a sizable separation from the rest of the MVC.

How long of an extension does Lusk get when he goes 14-4 in the MVC?
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby VUGrad1314 » January 5th, 2018, 12:18 am

Everyone in the top 165 and on the + side of adjusted EM Great numbers! If only we had a stronger top. Hopefully expansion and greater internal growth will get us there soon! Go MVC!
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby pawball » January 5th, 2018, 12:29 am

Old School MVC wrote:I watched a little from every game last night and here is what I took away from it:

Drake - Did not look like a Thursday night team.
ISUr - Did look like a Thursday team.
ISUb - I like thier two Guards, but Murphy is too up and down. When the big guy wants to play, ISUb can be tough.
Loyola - Still not sure what to think. I don't believe they are a Thursday team, but you can not lose those games at home.
SIU - Have to come to grips that they will be short handed. Not sure how they gave Smith such an open shot at end of game. What would the talk be today if that goes in.
Evansville - Probably better than an 0-3 team (tough opening schedule), but still a Thursday night team.
Bradley - Much improved, and I am sure their fans are looking forward to the 17th.
Valpo - Looked better than they did a week ago. Still a Thursday team.

Then, in your view, who is not a Thursday night team?????

There is a lot of Basketball left to play, but this is shaping into a wild season. Three of the four games were very competitive last night, and the game that some thought could be a blow out was, just the other team won! Drake, at 3-0, have their next 4 games against teams with a total of 2 Conference wins. They may get some confidence in the next couple weeks, and then who knows what might happen. Bradley is also gaining some confidence after their UNI blow out win last weekend. Could we see a changing of the Guard up top?
pawball
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » January 5th, 2018, 1:13 am

AndShock wrote:The Bears are fast approaching top 50 KenPom status which is a sizable separation from the rest of the MVC.

Doesn’t he get an auto 5 year renewal if the Bears win Arch Madness?
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » January 5th, 2018, 5:12 am

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:
AndShock wrote:The Bears are fast approaching top 50 KenPom status which is a sizable separation from the rest of the MVC.

Doesn’t he get an auto 5 year renewal if the Bears win Arch Madness?

Yes my understanding is he has the option for an automatic extension of we make the ncaa tourney. Which is the same as winning Arch madness.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BEARZ77 » January 5th, 2018, 7:47 am

I think I'm like most Bear fans in that if he wins, while I don't like 5 year extensions, I don't mind his return. I've been a solid critic since midway thru his 1st year, and I'm still skeptical, but I like his current staff and I like our roster moving forward next year as well. With the loss of Bell and the uncertain status of Greg Williams, we still have some work to do on the overall roster, but we'll have 4 quality experienced seniors back, 2 quality jucos in tow, Ridder, 6'11 Scott and D-2 juco 2nd team All American pg James Byrd all off of redshirt years. And I know we'll add at least another juco/transfer. We aren't going to take much a step back if any in talent.

But it's a long year to go, and like I said I'm still skeptical after 7 years of being Lusked.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball