2018 MVC - Week 2

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: 2018 MVC - Week 2

Postby Adunk33 » January 4th, 2018, 9:38 am

bufan741777 wrote:
Adunk33 wrote:
DUBulldog wrote:Coming into the game, I thought Drake had a decent chance. Never expected the complete dismantling that I saw. Drake was up 14 at half, and after the first few minutes of the second half, ISU never got closer than 15. Drake had an answer for every ISU bucket.

Timmer with 28.
De'Tae McMurray with 12 points, 7 rebounds, 7 assists
Nick McGlynn 11 points, 13 rebounds
Jalen Gibbs 12 points in 13 minutes

ILST seemed content trading buckets when Drake was up 10+. Watching that game last night as an ILST fan, I was reminded of those great UNI teams of the early-mid 2010's. Great ball movement, great shooting, led by veterans, and even in the rare occasion the Birds did play defense, Drake hit an NBA range or contested 3. 15 three's is impressive.

I don't think ILST will be the same team the next time Drake and ILST play. They don't play again until the second to last game of the season. Last night was ILST's first game playing with the "whole team" available. I say that, but Keyshawn Evans was not 100% after missing the game against INST.

I think DU's game at INST will show us a little more. INST is more of a road test than Valpo, who quite frankly... looks BAD.

Another tough game for the Birds this week. The leading candidates for MVC POY will matchup. Alize vs Milik. Should be a fun one.

People keep talking about ISU's offence and how much three players can carry a whole team. I feel that many people fail to bring up their defense. It seems that even against lower level teams that they should win that their defense keeps the game close and doesn't allow their team to pull away until the last minute of regulation or overtime. LAst four games...

UIC +1
EU +6
ISUb +3
DU -25

It seems to me that they will pick up more losses in close games if their D doesn't help out the three players that average significant points per game.

:+1: Agree completely. Last year's team had one of the best defenses in the country. This year's just tries to outscore their opponent. However, they are getting decent at winning close games. In games that were decided by 7 or less the Birds are 6-2.

I see what you're saying thought. Defense wins championships.
Adunk33
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Majik45 » January 4th, 2018, 9:50 am

Ugly game in Peoria last night with all the fouls being called. Maybe it was just an old rivalry as Wardle used to play against Valpo in the Horizon league for many years. Bradley made a lot of free throws in the 2nd half to hold on for the tough fought win. I was impressed with Valpo last night, as Walker was a ton, and the whole team did not give up the whole 2nd half. They will be a tough out when Walker gets back up to full strength as missing a month with Mono has to be tough.

If I were a redbird fan, I would be worried about our defense as others have mentioned above. You won't win many games giving up 87 points and trying to outscore other teams, especially in the Valley.

Last night's results further cemented my thoughts that if you don't bring your A game every night this year, you will get beat. It doesn't matter if you are home or away. There are too many solid teams, and no elite teams this year in the Valley.

I know it's early, but who would have thought that after 3 games, the team picked to finish 10th would be tied for the conference lead and the teams picked to finish 2nd and 3rd are currently in the play-in game?
Majik45
All MVC
All MVC

Postby bufan741777 » January 4th, 2018, 9:52 am

Adunk33 wrote:
:+1: Agree completely. Last year's team had one of the best defenses in the country. This year's just tries to outscore their opponent. However, they are getting decent at winning close games. In games that were decided by 7 or less the Birds are 6-2.

I see what you're saying thought. Defense wins championships.

With that kind of previous defense they could be a monster. Can't bank on winning 75% of close games in the Valley this year! It's possible but unlikely.
bufan741777
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby bufan741777 » January 4th, 2018, 9:58 am

Majik45 wrote:Ugly game in Peoria last night with all the fouls being called. Maybe it was just an old rivalry as Wardle used to play against Valpo in the Horizon league for many years. Bradley made a lot of free throws in the 2nd half to hold on for the tough fought win. I was impressed with Valpo last night, as Walker was a ton, and the whole team did not give up the whole 2nd half. They will be a tough out when Walker gets back up to full strength as missing a month with Mono has to be tough.

If I were a redbird fan, I would be worried about our defense as others have mentioned above. You won't win many games giving up 87 points and trying to outscore other teams, especially in the Valley.

Last night's results further cemented my thoughts that if you don't bring your A game every night this year, you will get beat. It doesn't matter if you are home or away. There are too many solid teams, and no elite teams this year in the Valley.

I know it's early, but who would have thought that after 3 games, the team picked to finish 10th would be tied for the conference lead and the teams picked to finish 2nd and 3rd are currently in the play-in game?

Crazy start to Valley play for sure! Along with the birds I think we also need to work on defense. When our defense stepped up and caused turnovers and blocked shots we took the lead versus UNI and VU. Our shooting has looked decent all year.

I am not saying our defense is bad at all. They just go on major runs of time where we give up too many easy baskets. For example, after we took an 11-0 lead last night. When we are playing fun, high energy defense our margin that were winning by increases significantly. Last night it didn't help that VU was draining contested 3s all night...
bufan741777
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby ACECARD » January 4th, 2018, 10:35 am

E-Villan wrote:In a matchup of coaching legends in Carbondale, Southern Illinois slid by Evansville 65-63.

Since the fanbases at both schools are not happy with their current coaches, I will make an offer to my Saluki friends..we trade coaches straight up...Hucky for Husky.

Barry may not win any more games here, but his antics and press conferences should be entertaining enough that we are able to get a few more bodies into the Ford Center..and for Southern, having Simmons in town will insure at least 3 new buffet restaurants opening up in Carbondale. If you are going to lose games, you might as well be fat and happy.

+100 LOL!
ACECARD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby bufan741777 » January 4th, 2018, 10:43 am

ACECARD wrote:
E-Villan wrote:In a matchup of coaching legends in Carbondale, Southern Illinois slid by Evansville 65-63.

Since the fanbases at both schools are not happy with their current coaches, I will make an offer to my Saluki friends..we trade coaches straight up...Hucky for Husky.

Barry may not win any more games here, but his antics and press conferences should be entertaining enough that we are able to get a few more bodies into the Ford Center..and for Southern, having Simmons in town will insure at least 3 new buffet restaurants opening up in Carbondale. If you are going to lose games, you might as well be fat and happy.

+100 LOL!

:o :o :o
bufan741777
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Old School MVC » January 4th, 2018, 11:35 am

I watched a little from every game last night and here is what I took away from it:

Drake - Did not look like a Thursday night team.
ISUr - Did look like a Thursday team.
ISUb - I like thier two Guards, but Murphy is too up and down. When the big guy wants to play, ISUb can be tough.
Loyola - Still not sure what to think. I don't believe they are a Thursday team, but you can not lose those games at home.
SIU - Have to come to grips that they will be short handed. Not sure how they gave Smith such an open shot at end of game. What would the talk be today if that goes in.
Evansville - Probably better than an 0-3 team (tough opening schedule), but still a Thursday night team.
Bradley - Much improved, and I am sure their fans are looking forward to the 17th.
Valpo - Looked better than they did a week ago. Still a Thursday team.

There is a lot of Basketball left to play, but this is shaping into a wild season. Three of the four games were very competitive last night, and the game that some thought could be a blow out was, just the other team won! Drake, at 3-0, have their next 4 games against teams with a total of 2 Conference wins. They may get some confidence in the next couple weeks, and then who knows what might happen. Bradley is also gaining some confidence after their UNI blow out win last weekend. Could we see a changing of the Guard up top?
Old School MVC
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby bufan741777 » January 4th, 2018, 2:20 pm

Old School MVC wrote:I watched a little from every game last night and here is what I took away from it:

Drake - Did not look like a Thursday night team.
ISUr - Did look like a Thursday team.
ISUb - I like thier two Guards, but Murphy is too up and down. When the big guy wants to play, ISUb can be tough.
Loyola - Still not sure what to think. I don't believe they are a Thursday team, but you can not lose those games at home.
SIU - Have to come to grips that they will be short handed. Not sure how they gave Smith such an open shot at end of game. What would the talk be today if that goes in.
Evansville - Probably better than an 0-3 team (tough opening schedule), but still a Thursday night team.
Bradley - Much improved, and I am sure their fans are looking forward to the 17th.
Valpo - Looked better than they did a week ago. Still a Thursday team.

There is a lot of Basketball left to play, but this is shaping into a wild season. Three of the four games were very competitive last night, and the game that some thought could be a blow out was, just the other team won! Drake, at 3-0, have their next 4 games against teams with a total of 2 Conference wins. They may get some confidence in the next couple weeks, and then who knows what might happen. Bradley is also gaining some confidence after their UNI blow out win last weekend. Could we see a changing of the Guard up top?

That Drake and ISUr game has put a lot of question marks in people's minds about both teams. Out of nowhere DU looks like they will be contending for the title if they keep playing the way that they are playing. ISUr has seemingly played worse as the season has progressed. Ever since Ole Miss their margin of victory has shrunk to very little and then the Drake game happened.

I think Drake will continue to be a tough fight for teams to beat and (I can't believe I am saying this) I believe they should end up in the top 3 by the seasons finish. I see ISUr bouncing back and being a strong team in the Valley but not in the top 3.
bufan741777
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby jackwagon » January 4th, 2018, 2:28 pm

The overreaction stuff here is pretty funny. We aren't even a 1/5 of the way home guys. Drake will be fighting to stay out of Thursday when it is all said and done.
jackwagon
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Old School MVC » January 4th, 2018, 2:40 pm

jackwagon wrote:The overreaction stuff here is pretty funny. We aren't even a 1/5 of the way home guys. Drake will be fighting to stay out of Thursday when it is all said and done.

What is the common thread with all of Drakes Conference opponents up to now? They all have one Conference loss, and it was to Drake!! I am not crowning Drake the Champion, but they are much better than anticipated. Three teams have yet to win a game in conference this year. If Drake goes .500 with them it will take them to 6 wins. I think 9 wins keep you out of Thursday. I say Drake has a good chance to snap that streak of Thursday night games in STL!!
Old School MVC
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball