Updated 1/6/18: MVC Expansion Poll

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Choose two: Who do you think the MVC should add?

Murray State
47%
Northern Kentucky
13%
UW-Milwaukee
5%
Oakland
0%
South Dakota State
4%
Southeast Missouri State
1%
Belmont
21%
Grand Canyon
2%
UT-Arlington
3%
Denver
5%

Total votes : 277

Re: Updated 1/6/18: MVC Expansion Poll

Postby IllinoisState » March 3rd, 2018, 9:36 pm

VU2014 wrote:
IllinoisState wrote:Or a lot of schools they had mentioned looking into, but they did.

Outside of Murray State then next team will most likely be one of the below.

Green Bay
Milwaukee
Wright State
Oakland
Detroit
UIC
Belmont
NKU
Detroit

UMKC and Oral Roberts might be looked into, but wont be added.

If we are going to expand I'd add Belmont and Murray State. As a Valpo fan who has been in the Horizon League for a while, I'd avoid most of those schools. The only two I'd consider is NKU and Oakland. NKU is a bit of a wildcard because they've only been D1 for a few seasons and have never dealt with a D1 coaching change. Their current HC is good but I don't think he'll be there for much longer. He signed an "extension" but that's just an insurance policy for the buyout when he leaves, which could be sooner rather then later. This is their first fully successful season, imo. Last season they went to the tournament but never had to play any of the Top seeds so it was a bit of a "cake walk" through the conference tournament. Valpo was littered with injuries at the end of the last season and got knocked out early & Oakland choked in their first round game. Maybe they'd be a solid add but I don't think they are a slam dunk. Oakland is a little beyond the footprint so that's one reason I doubt they'll be seriously considered.

We have big problems as a conference if we're even considering UMKC and Oral Roberts :Bam:

Also there is no chance we raid the A10. Rhode Island, Dayton, VCU and SLU. SLU's admin/fans think very highly of themselves and they think the MVC is a "downgrade" even though the MVC was pretty clearly better then the A10 this season. The only way SLU joins the MVC is if the Big East adds Dayton and maybe if the AAC decides to add a VCU or URI as non-football members down the road.

It's important to not screw up these adds. It's better to add no one at all then add 1 or 2 that won't help attain the goal of building a multi-bid league. The MVC should only expand if the potential new members can help make you a two bid league. Does Belmont or Murray State do that? Maybe or maybe not. It's all about getting multiple bids. Adding 2 new schools won't magically make us a 2-bid league. At the end of the day what will is if everyone who is currently in the conference steps up their game, which has been the case this season. I am almost positive Valpo will be much better next season and will win more the those close conference games.

The real priority is trying to get most if not all teams into Top 100-150 but ideally have most teams as close to Top 100. Not every Conference team can be Top 100 every season because programs are cyclical, which is fine but the important thing is to not have teams bottom out to sub-200.

Murray State will be added when we expand pending any unforeseen changes. Why don't you like them?

Oakland's not bad, but it's not in my top two. Speaking of limited coaches, Oakland has only had one in over 30 years. He has done well though.

UMKC was considered the last two times and Oral Roberts was considered when Creighton left.

Of course we aren't getting any A-10 team although it would be nice.
IllinoisState
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby valleydays » March 3rd, 2018, 10:03 pm

Murray State traveled about 3,500 fans to Evansville for the OVC tourney final. They also were 2-0 against the MVC semifinalists.

Despite the foot-dragging on expansion (based on Elgin's comments), I think the MVC is oddly underwhelmed by what Murray State would bring. I guess they are just determined that No. 12 must be a home run add, and they'll wait until the 12th of never to decide on that No. 12.

I wish Murray had another option, but really, they don't. Else they remain, as one fan said, a mid-major in a low-major (OVC) league.
valleydays
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby VU2014 » March 3rd, 2018, 10:16 pm

IllinoisState wrote:Murray State will be added when we expand pending any unforeseen changes. Why don't you like them?

Oakland's not bad, but it's not in my top two. Speaking of limited coaches, Oakland has only had one in over 30 years. He has done well though.

UMKC was considered the last two times and Oral Roberts was considered when Creighton left.

Of course we aren't getting any A-10 team although it would be nice.

IllinoisState, literally my first sentence was "If we are going to expand I'd add Belmont and Murray State". That wouldn't indicate I dislike them.

I'm just saying it doesn't make sense to expand to 12 unless they likely make the MVC a 2-bid league. I'm not so sure adding 1 or 2 new schools would make the difference. Maybe they would or maybe they wouldn't.

I'm more or less playing a little devils advocate. I'd personally be more for going to possibly 11 and Murray being the add, but the MVC HQ seems absolutely deadset against that idea because they want an even number because want travel partners for non-revenue sports. The league just can't afford to screw up the 12th school if they add 2. Another factor that will weigh heavily on University Presidents is having to divide the pie 12 ways instead of 10 ways depending on how the TV contracts are structured. Just something to consider.

I tend to lean towards the idea of expansion but I don't think it's as much of a slam dunk obvious idea as much as others do. It has to move the needle towards the MVC's chances of becoming a multi-bid league at the end of the day.
VU2014
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby purple&orange » March 3rd, 2018, 10:38 pm

Expansion: Media Market vs Biggest Show in Town?

I was not at Ford Center tonight but saw some clips on twitter of the crowd Murray State brought. I understand TV markets equal the potential for eyeballs and that potential means money. With that said, just looking at Belmont vs Murray State in that OVC final....would you rather have the larger market or the biggest show in town? Murray, Kentucky is from my understanding Murray State University. The passion that is for the school to me is more important than being located in a big city.

Last year a women's coach in the OVC ripped Nashville, talking about how there was zero coverage in the newspaper, SEC Tournament banners up around town for following week. The tourney moved this year to Evansville because of renovations to Municipal Auditorium, but I think the OVC saw what can happen when the right pieces are in place.

It reminds me of a high school dynamic....a one high school town. Washington, Indiana is a town of about 17,000, has a gym that holds 7,090. The high school game I was at tonight in Boonville, capacity 5,600. The loyalty and the live and die with each game means a lot to those people. Murray State is in many ways that one high school town. I've been to Murray once, for a UE-Murray game and by no means am I bashing the town. Instead the passion for OUR team in OUR town was evident, much like that one high school community that we can all relate to with the smaller towns in our area. Evansville had that one with the Purple Aces, it's slowly eroding as the fanbase gets older and the younger crowd isn't replacing them because it's been 25 years since year in and year out UE was a threat to win big enough to go into a season and believe that there is a chance to be a tournament team.

Murray State has that, something often overlooked in expansion (hello B1G and Rutgers). Give me the Racers, they add value to the league if they come aboard.
purple&orange
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby VU2014 » March 4th, 2018, 1:45 am

Commissioner Doug Elgin pretty much outright states the league will be 10 teams in a interview and the only way the league expands to 12 is quote, "It’ll be 10 next year, I don’t see any way this league goes to 12 that soon. If we do go to 12, if it happens it will only be if we have an understanding that the teams we are able to attract would definitely upgrade our league.”

Some very interesting and very candid comments.

https://soundcloud.com/mikereis-siu/201 ... g-elginmp3
VU2014
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby mvfcfan » March 4th, 2018, 6:53 am

Like I've said, I would be very surprised if we ever expand.

I honestly don't understand why Murray State wants to come to the MVC. They have a better chance of making it to the postseason in their current conference than they do in the MVC. I also think they were one of the founders of the OVC. It's also a better fit for them in football (than the MVFC).

But I'm done getting all excited over the possibility of expansion. We just need to focus on the 10 we've got, because as long as Elgin is our commissioner we're never going to expand beyond 10. I'm disappointed, but this is what I expected to hear.
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby smidge34 » March 4th, 2018, 7:27 am

Imagine the difference Murray State would have made in the MVC year one smh. Sitting at 51 RPI in a crap low major conference is monumental, plus we would have made a huge impact on Arch Madness with our traveling base. Oh well, I guess your individual programs got what they wanted. :roll:
smidge34
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Bjhracer » March 4th, 2018, 9:53 am

51 RPI when half of your conference opponents have 200+ RPI. Murray could of honestly made the MVC a 2 bid league this season. You can't force an invite though and if they don't want us then what do you do. Just keep beating them in OOC games.
Bjhracer
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby All-MVC Fan » March 4th, 2018, 10:04 am

Passing on Murray would prove what many have been saying for years - the MVC is a rudderless ship. Without a captain. Would be sheer stupidity.
All-MVC Fan
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » March 4th, 2018, 10:33 am

Bjhracer wrote:51 RPI when half of your conference opponents have 200+ RPI. Murray could of honestly made the MVC a 2 bid league this season. You can't force an invite though and if they don't want us then what do you do. Just keep beating them in OOC games.

Murray is a great team but you got the same delusions as Valpo fans had coming in if you think they would have had a 51 RPI in the MVC this season. Great team though. I do believe they would have finished in the 3-5 range though.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball