Updated 1/6/18: MVC Expansion Poll

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Choose two: Who do you think the MVC should add?

Murray State
47%
Northern Kentucky
13%
UW-Milwaukee
5%
Oakland
0%
South Dakota State
4%
Southeast Missouri State
1%
Belmont
21%
Grand Canyon
2%
UT-Arlington
3%
Denver
5%

Total votes : 277

Re: Updated 1/6/18: MVC Expansion Poll

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » March 10th, 2018, 7:18 pm

mvfcfan wrote:I wish the MVC had just added UW-Milwaukee last year (with Murray St obviously). There are worse schools out there.

Yeah and uwm is one of them. Nku is much better if we're staying in the Midwest. Uwm can't even draw 1500.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Mikovio » March 11th, 2018, 7:33 am

Loyola couldn't draw flies either. Thankfully the presidents considered more than attendance.
Mikovio
All MVC
All MVC

Postby RacerJoeD » March 11th, 2018, 8:38 am

Arlington draws as much as NKU

Not pulling for either of those. Frankly, I’m for Racers as eleven. Everything else is just goofing off to get 11 done.
RacerJoeD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby VUGrad1314 » March 11th, 2018, 9:41 am

Any indications that Belmont is ready to pull its head from its hindquarters and seriously consider the MVC?
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby smidge34 » March 11th, 2018, 10:02 am

VUGrad1314 wrote:Any indications that Belmont is ready to pull its head from its hindquarters and seriously consider the MVC?

Belmont and their 1500 fans on a good home game and 7 who travel? I’ve never seen more than a handful of red in crowd when they play at Murray, imagine the MVC.
Last edited by smidge34 on March 11th, 2018, 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
smidge34
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby RacerJoeD » March 11th, 2018, 10:03 am

1500*
RacerJoeD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby VUGrad1314 » March 11th, 2018, 10:08 am

Is it possible they don't travel for the same reasons you want to leave the OVC and that higher profile opponents would help them build their fanbase? That model seems to be working for NKU.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby E-Villan » March 11th, 2018, 10:26 am

Smidge is right, I was at the OVC Final in Evansville. Murray turned that into a bigger home court for them than even UE has lately. There may have been around 200 Belmont fans there...and that was for the conference championship. Both teams traveled about the same difference, if anything, Nashville may have been a tad closer. The ratio was at least 15-1 in favor of Murray.

During the OVC Tournament, I posted a link to the ESPN Radio affiliate in Nashville. A lot of conversations about the SEC, and even Middle Tennessee, but not a single word or even a tweet about the 4 OVC teams which are in their market.

Attendance and interest will not increase in the MVC. The average Nashvillian couldn't give any more of a rats rear about any of the MVC teams than they do the OVC. If playing regional rivals like Austin Peay and Murray doesn't get fans in there, UNI and Drake sure as heck aren't.

Murray would be a great add, after that just shut the damn door. The rest are major compromises in one way or another. Adding programs just to be adding someone is silly and reckless.
E-Villan
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby VU2014 » March 11th, 2018, 1:15 pm

mvfcfan wrote:I wish the MVC had just added UW-Milwaukee last year (with Murray St obviously). There are worse schools out there.

I'd pass on UWM. UWM isn't going to the Milwaukee Market. None of the news stations or papers even cover them. Milwaukee is firmly a Wisconsin-Madison & Marquette town. They don't draw well in attendance and their only program success came under a corrupt coach in Bruce Pearl who everyone knew was cheating in recruitment. Also factor in that their Athletics Department and administration is a chaotic mess (look into it). UWM men's basketball received a banned from postseason play as recently as the 2014-'15 season for failure to meet academic standards as a program. http://archive.jsonline.com/sports/pant ... 9831.html/

Pass.
VU2014
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Mikovio » March 11th, 2018, 2:19 pm

VU2014 wrote:

I'd pass on UWM. UWM isn't going to the Milwaukee Market. None of the news stations or papers even cover them. Milwaukee is firmly a Wisconsin-Madison & Marquette town. They don't draw well in attendance and their only program success came under a corrupt coach in Bruce Pearl who everyone knew was cheating in recruitment. Also factor in that their Athletics Department and administration is a chaotic mess (look into it). UWM men's basketball received a banned from postseason play as recently as the 2014-'15 season for failure to meet academic standards as a program. http://archive.jsonline.com/sports/pant ... 9831.html/

Pass.

Well it's just false to say the papers don't cover them. Every game gets a story in the Journal Sentinel and they have their own tab in the sports section alongside the Eagles, Badgers, Packers, Bucks, Brewers.

https://www.jsonline.com/sports/panthers/

Pearl inherited a good foundation from Bo Ryan and his best player was a transfer from Bradley, Joah Tucker, a Milwaukee native who left with Molinari's firing. Never heard any rumblings about cheating. He actually went to Nicolet with my cousins. Danny Granger on the other hand...
Mikovio
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball