Updated 1/6/18: MVC Expansion Poll

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Choose two: Who do you think the MVC should add?

Murray State
47%
Northern Kentucky
13%
UW-Milwaukee
5%
Oakland
0%
South Dakota State
4%
Southeast Missouri State
1%
Belmont
21%
Grand Canyon
2%
UT-Arlington
3%
Denver
5%

Total votes : 277

Re: Updated 1/6/18: MVC Expansion Poll

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » March 1st, 2018, 2:55 pm

Then find a P6 board and post your Dayton and Grand Canyon fanfics there.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Just Another Guy » March 1st, 2018, 3:37 pm

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:Well, then goodbye MVC is travel costs and type of university wins out. We will be no better than the worst conference. It means nothing to be the 8th rated conference if you get the same number of bids as the 32nd.

This is strictly your opinion and is not one I agree with. Regardless, opinion is not fact. Just some guy’s opinion.

The MVC is not going to add GCU no matter how persistently you keep regurgitating your opinion. In the words of a wise man, “when you’re riding a dead horse, for heaven’s sake, dismount.
Just Another Guy
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby Dean Wormer » March 1st, 2018, 4:00 pm

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:The MWC has become a 1 bid leagues, two on good years. Just slightly better than the MVC. They are in a spot where they need to make big moves or be relegated to a one big league. I think they should go for the gold and add Gonzaga, St. Mary's, BYU, and GCU.

The MVC is already a one bid league. They need to go for the gold too. Murray State and NKU aren't it but could be two pieces. Do whatever it takes to get Dayton, St. Louis, NMSU, and GCU (if they don't go to the MWC). I do not give a goddamn what it means for travel costs. You want to become a two bid league again you have to make sacrifices. I also don't care if it means paying goddamn Dayton and SLU a certain amount for 5-10 years. Basically, buying them. Just get it done. This BS that we all keep going around and around on is not going to get us to where we want to be and if you think they are you are in denial.

Just got a note from GCU. They are Christian based, and highly object to you using the Lords name in vain, therefore, they have no interest in joining the MVC. Thanks, your potty mouth just cost us the gold...

Seriously, Arch Madness starts in a few hours, and all some of you can do is obsess in post after post about who we add, or getting Christian for profit schools, etc.. Screw expansion, if we want more bids, then somebody besides Loyola needs a top 50 RPI. The 10 we got need to schedule better, win some of those games, and improve within. We have a better chance to get multiple with the 10 we have than adding a bunch of others.

Instead of yammering on and on about who to add, how about just enjoying Arch Madness for the next 4 days. You can spend all summer with this non-sense.
Dean Wormer
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » March 1st, 2018, 6:02 pm

Forget me liking GCU. That's not the point. It doesnt have to be GCU.

BUT, again... it means nothing to be the 8th rated conference if we get the same number of bids as the 32nd. Why try? Might as well be 32nd. If you tell me I don't have to go to college and get the same job with the same pay as a college graduate why would I go to college? Why be 8th when 32nd is the same damn thing?

Sorry, but youre in denial if you think Murray State and whoever is going to get a second bid. Therefore, do what ever it takes (legally) to get that second bid. If you have to pay universities to come and give them bigger cuts for 10 years then so be it.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby RacerJoeD » March 1st, 2018, 7:32 pm

I’ll trade you. You take your team to the OVC and I’ll put the Racers in the MVC. Then you tell me if there is a difference.

Because, here is the thing- being in the 20th (or so) best conference sucks. No matter how good your team is, you’re judged not by what you do, but by what the cut-rate, nearly-JUCO school down the road does. Your one bid? Congrats, your seeding sucks. They send you across the country while a less talented team gets a nice cushy spot near their campus with their .500 record. Your home games are few and far between and because your conference rarely has a decent matchup, (and because it’s a sport where weird things happen) even if it’s a favorable matchup the teams in your conference rarely win. You can’t even get an invite to certain tournaments because maybe you are too good to be one of the doormats and your RPI will be low enough (because 2/3 is opponents opponents and you play a majority of your games against 250+ rpi teams) that there is no reason for the invite.

Your games are reffed by guys rejected by the big conferences as incompetent or you get guys reffing their first games. Because the conference refuses to spend money on officiating.

Even if you take a sport seriously, it takes all you have to overcome your lowly conference.

Frankly, I don’t think you know how good you have it. Because we would trade you in a heartbeat.
RacerJoeD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » March 1st, 2018, 7:55 pm

I like Murray State, I do, but do you think MuSt. gets the MVC closer to a second bid? I'm not naive. I wouldn't say Illinois State increases the Mountain West, A-10, WCC, or even the OVC a second bid. Just like Murray State doesn't do that for the MVC.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby RacerJoeD » March 1st, 2018, 8:22 pm

I honestly think they do.

Murray this season is 66th in the RPI. That’s with six games against teams in conference with an RPI 250+. That RPI is good enough for second in the MVC. If you substitute those 250+ RPi with six games versus Valpo (RPI 185), Murray St jumps into the top 50. What’s more, adding another top 50 RPI team means that there is a chance for more teams to have top 50 wins, raising all the conference RPIs. That means more top 75 games, more top 100 games... all of that increases the chances of an at large.
RacerJoeD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby ptownbraves » March 1st, 2018, 9:51 pm

Rambler63 wrote:What kind of concrete indication has anyone had that St. Louis (or Dayton) would consider leaving the A10? I think things are changing for the A10 vis a vis the MVC, but I haven't heard or seen anything specific about those two schools leaving.

None and it's probably never going to happen. SLU claims they want the East Coast market for recruiting and is willing to pay the hefty expenses and disrupted class time for student athletes. It doesn't help that many fans/boosters have an undeserved arrogance when it comes to their program and that they see the MVC as a huge step below the A10. Majerus was actually a big proponent of SLU joining the MVC, but that never gained any traction.
ptownbraves
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » March 1st, 2018, 10:10 pm

ptownbraves wrote:
Rambler63 wrote:What kind of concrete indication has anyone had that St. Louis (or Dayton) would consider leaving the A10? I think things are changing for the A10 vis a vis the MVC, but I haven't heard or seen anything specific about those two schools leaving.

None and it's probably never going to happen. SLU claims they want the East Coast market for recruiting and is willing to pay the hefty expenses and disrupted class time for student athletes. It doesn't help that many fans/boosters have an undeserved arrogance when it comes to their program and that they see the MVC as a huge step below the A10. Majerus was actually a big proponent of SLU joining the MVC, but that never gained any traction.

It could happen. If the MVC decides to raid the A-10 and convinces Dayton, VCU, and Rhode Island then SLU will follow suit.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ptownbraves » March 1st, 2018, 10:34 pm

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:
ptownbraves wrote:

It could happen. If the MVC decides to raid the A-10 and convinces Dayton, VCU, and Rhode Island then SLU will follow suit.

I don't see the school presidents or the MVC wanting to expand their footprint that far outside the Midwest. Elgin was on the Journal Star podcast this week talking about how we are a 4 state league as if it was a source of pride.

http://www.pjstar.com/sports/20180226/l ... nd-commish

Maybe Dayton but definitely not VCU or Rhode Island. Or New Mexico St. Or GCU for that matter.
ptownbraves
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball