Updated 1/6/18: MVC Expansion Poll

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Choose two: Who do you think the MVC should add?

Murray State
47%
Northern Kentucky
13%
UW-Milwaukee
5%
Oakland
0%
South Dakota State
4%
Southeast Missouri State
1%
Belmont
21%
Grand Canyon
2%
UT-Arlington
3%
Denver
5%

Total votes : 277

Re: Updated 1/6/18: MVC Expansion Poll

Postby mvfcfan » March 4th, 2018, 10:34 am

All-MVC Fan wrote:Passing on Murray would prove what many have been saying for years - the MVC is a rudderless ship. Without a captain. Would be sheer stupidity.

We're definitely going to pass on Murray. We proved that already when we passed on them over wbb and volleyball.
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby mvfcfan » March 4th, 2018, 10:35 am

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:
Bjhracer wrote:51 RPI when half of your conference opponents have 200+ RPI. Murray could of honestly made the MVC a 2 bid league this season. You can't force an invite though and if they don't want us then what do you do. Just keep beating them in OOC games.

Murray is a great team but you got the same delusions as Valpo fans had coming in if you think they would have had a 51 RPI in the MVC this season. Great team though. I do believe they would have finished in the 3-5 range though.

I watched Murray State play in person twice this season. They would have finished no less than 2nd in the MVC this year.
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby smidge34 » March 4th, 2018, 10:43 am

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:
Bjhracer wrote:51 RPI when half of your conference opponents have 200+ RPI. Murray could of honestly made the MVC a 2 bid league this season. You can't force an invite though and if they don't want us then what do you do. Just keep beating them in OOC games.

Murray is a great team but you got the same delusions as Valpo fans had coming in if you think they would have had a 51 RPI in the MVC this season. Great team though. I do believe they would have finished in the 3-5 range though.

Well my crystal ball is broken right now so unless you have one what might or might not have happened is irrelevant. The fact is we presently sit RPI 51 in a league where 7 of 12 members sit in the bottom half and 2 more are squarely on the cusp and we played many of them twice lol. It’s monufreakingmental is what it is and a testament to how good this team is. Btw, we fared pretty well this season versus two of your semifinalists iirc.
smidge34
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Redhawk » March 4th, 2018, 10:55 am

smidge34 wrote:Btw, we fared pretty well this season versus two of your semifinalists iirc.

Phil Fayne missed the Murray State game for a funeral. Would love a rematch in the Big Dance!
Redhawk
All MVC
All MVC

Postby smidge34 » March 4th, 2018, 11:02 am

Redhawk wrote:
smidge34 wrote:Btw, we fared pretty well this season versus two of your semifinalists iirc.

Phil Fayne missed the Murray State game for a funeral. Would love a rematch in the Big Dance!

Good point. Our team was a young work in progress outside the two seniors, being led by basically a HS senior so we are much improved too. I’m game.
Last edited by smidge34 on March 4th, 2018, 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
smidge34
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » March 4th, 2018, 11:03 am

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:

You’re right. It would’ve been in the 30s. And 2 Q1 and 1 Q2 games for the Ramblers and Racers.

Imagine Ja’ Morant in this league the next 3 years.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » March 4th, 2018, 11:06 am

VU2014 wrote:Commissioner Doug Elgin pretty much outright states the league will be 10 teams in a interview and the only way the league expands to 12 is quote, "It’ll be 10 next year, I don’t see any way this league goes to 12 that soon. If we do go to 12, if it happens it will only be if we have an understanding that the teams we are able to attract would definitely upgrade our league.”

Some very interesting and very candid comments.

https://soundcloud.com/mikereis-siu/201 ... g-elginmp3

God damn. Who the hell is running this league.

St Louis’ loss, Evansville’s gain.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby VUGrad1314 » March 4th, 2018, 11:20 am

This is so tremendously upsetting. Murray State does literally everything Elgin says he wants in an expansion addition and we're passing because a couple of non-revenue sports might be slightly inconvenienced? So a slight increase in travel costs means we say no to a team that beyond a shadow of a doubt makes our league better adds to the recruiting footprint and brings in more money and higher potential for more bids? Talk about not being able to see the forest because of the trees. That is some Jon LeCrone (HL Commissioner) level stupidity there. If another league gets them I'm going to be so mad.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » March 4th, 2018, 11:41 am

I'm all for adding Murray State and NKU and later expanding to 14. I think the MVC wants to stop at 12 and therefore are waiting for better teams to emerge. Or cave. Maybe they are waiting for the Big East to expand to 11 to see who is left. If Dayton and St. Louis see they aren't getting into the Big East (if that is the case althought I think the Big East will take Dayton) then it opens a conversation about St. Louis and Dayton coming to the MVC. Certainly have an arguement being rated higher and having no sub-200 teams.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby VU2014 » March 4th, 2018, 11:48 am

VUGrad1314 wrote:If another league gets them I'm going to be so mad.

I don't think they're going anywhere. The MVC is arguably the best Mid-Major Conference in the country and certainly the best in the midwest. Murray State isn't going to leave for the Horizon League, Summit League or any low major conference. I don't see the A10 giving them a invite either unless they lose a team in the future but at that point if the A10 loses a Dayton, URI, or VCU at that point the A10 would be weakened and SLU would need to more seriously consider the MVC and then we'd have our strong 12th to pair with Murray State. Regardless I don't think Murray State is going anywhere and the MVC presidents do have the "luxury" to take their time with this, even if it may be an annoying process for fans.
VU2014
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball