Updated 1/6/18: MVC Expansion Poll

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Choose two: Who do you think the MVC should add?

Murray State
47%
Northern Kentucky
13%
UW-Milwaukee
5%
Oakland
0%
South Dakota State
4%
Southeast Missouri State
1%
Belmont
21%
Grand Canyon
2%
UT-Arlington
3%
Denver
5%

Total votes : 277

Re: Updated 1/6/18: MVC Expansion Poll

Postby BEARZ77 » October 7th, 2021, 4:16 pm

NDSU fans were on here begging like paupers to be in the Valley a few years back. Obviously it's a great football program; but their basketball, meh! It's laughable them taunting UNI, and thinking that would be "good for basketball in the MW". That'd be a butt whooping party for Jake and his boys 9 times out of 10. I like the two South Dakota programs though, but still don't think they are a direction the MVC should go .
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby VUGrad1314 » October 7th, 2021, 5:22 pm

I agree that there are better options than any of the Dakotas right now but man the two South Dakota schools would do so much for the MVC in women's basketball. I feel like it would be a 4 bid league every year.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mvfcfan » October 7th, 2021, 6:48 pm

The Dakota schools have more than 13 actual fans so I'm not surprised that people don't want them. I'm also sure 90% of this board has never been to either Dakota before and it shows.

If they were invited they would eventually take over just like they did in football. Those schools (particularly the XDSU'S) are the big deal up there and the two XDSU's are usually towards the top of the Summit League anyways.

Indiana State is in the middle of an H and H with NDSU. I would support ISU doing them every season with all 4 of the Dakota schools. I don't see the issue. It sure as heck beats playing Truman State.
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby IllinoisState » October 7th, 2021, 8:51 pm

mvfcfan wrote:The Dakota schools have more than 13 actual fans so I'm not surprised that people don't want them. I'm also sure 90% of this board has never been to either Dakota before and it shows.

If they were invited they would eventually take over just like they did in football. Those schools (particularly the XDSU'S) are the big deal up there and the two XDSU's are usually towards the top of the Summit League anyways.

Indiana State is in the middle of an H and H with NDSU. I would support ISU doing them every season with all 4 of the Dakota schools. I don't see the issue. It sure as heck beats playing Truman State.

If they would take over how come only SDSU has been able to win with any regularity?
IllinoisState
All MVC
All MVC

Postby VUGrad1314 » October 8th, 2021, 2:14 am

To me Murray State is still by far and away the top choice but the more I think about it the more I'm warming to Little Rock as a candidate if academics and market are really an issue. They're one of only like two public candidates (maybe three) beyond Murray State that I could stomach the other two being Northern Kentucky and Milwaukee (I guess). Wright State would be on this list if their finances weren't awful and also South Dakota State if any of the Dakotas would leave the others but I don't see that happen. I would still be really disappointed if the twelfth isn't Murray State (unless the MVC somehow pulled a rabbit out of its hat and added an even better candidate that nobody sees coming) but Little Rock would be the least disappointing of that bunch even though their enrollment trends and budget are lowest I still think they would have the most to gain from moving to a basketball centric conference with a tighter more suitable footprint outside of Murray State of course whose budget and enrollment trends are doing just fine relative to other candidates. The choice to me is still so obvious though and I wish we could hear something definite on a move soon. I hope the MVC makes the right decision. I just hope we get an answer on what's happening before the season tips off. I think that's in the best interest both of the candidates and of the MVC member institutions so that realignment\expansion is not a distraction as a very important season rolls around.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Herd » October 8th, 2021, 11:00 am

IllinoisState wrote:
mvfcfan wrote:The Dakota schools have more than 13 actual fans so I'm not surprised that people don't want them. I'm also sure 90% of this board has never been to either Dakota before and it shows.

If they would take over how come only SDSU has been able to win with any regularity?

NCAA trips, 5 each, ndsu 2 wins sdsu 0. Success has been pretty equal between the two. Head to head in DI, I'm not sure, but pretty equal there too I'd guess.
Herd
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby VUGrad1314 » October 8th, 2021, 11:08 am

Herd wrote:
IllinoisState wrote:

NCAA trips, 5 each, ndsu 2 wins sdsu 0. Success has been pretty equal between the two. Head to head in DI, I'm not sure, but pretty equal there too I'd guess.

Wasn't one of those a 16 seed play in win though? I get that they all count but that one pales in comparison to the victory you notched over Oklahoma several years back.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby VUGrad1314 » October 8th, 2021, 11:21 am

With Belmont off the board (already in tow) and a new list of candidates suggested in Todd Golden's article on Belmont joining maybe it's time we started a new poll I've thought about doing it myself but I don't know how to make polls.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Herd » October 8th, 2021, 12:30 pm

IllinoisState wrote:

In the DI era starting in 04-05 (not yet eligible til 08-09), the total game tally including all matchups is 22-18 . . . edge to ndsu. One of ndsu's better teams playing lights out at the end of the season did not get to participate in the 19-20 ncaas, we all know why.
Herd
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Action10 » October 8th, 2021, 1:08 pm

Herd wrote:
IllinoisState wrote:

In the DI era starting in 04-05 (not yet eligible til 08-09), the total game tally including all matchups is 22-18 . . . edge to ndsu. One of ndsu's better teams playing lights out at the end of the season did not get to participate in the 19-20 ncaas, we all know why.

Not to pee in your Cheerios, but that team was looking at a 15 seed at the highest. It is still a berth in the NCAA Tournament, but hard to go rounds that way.
Action10
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball