Updated 1/6/18: MVC Expansion Poll

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Choose two: Who do you think the MVC should add?

Murray State
47%
Northern Kentucky
13%
UW-Milwaukee
5%
Oakland
0%
South Dakota State
4%
Southeast Missouri State
1%
Belmont
21%
Grand Canyon
2%
UT-Arlington
3%
Denver
5%

Total votes : 277

Re: Updated 1/6/18: MVC Expansion Poll

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » March 19th, 2018, 10:40 pm

SaintLouBrave posted this recently fwiw:

Completely agree with everything, but lets say it again for what it is...when it comes down to it and the folks ask Elgin, his opinion is going to be that of narrow mindedness and zero desire to change and just let the world pass by.

Now we all know in the end its really up to the schools in a vote, but the commissioner and his assistant take great lengths in making their expansion (or lack of) opinion known. Whats odd is they being Elgin and Watkins are at odds about what would better the league, which makes things all the more interesting. Watkins had explored expansion on his own and I have talked to some in the know folks that said the league has the capability and opening to expand again and have everything in place prior to the next league season, but Elgin did not like that idea and who knows where they're at now because he poo-pooed it.

We have all discussed at great length where it looks like the NCAA and the tournament are going, so why stand pat? Why not do whatever you possibly can to be on the good side to where you can make the conference look as great and as strong as possible?

Murray State can certainly help with that....get them and the next best available --- whether that be Northern Kentucky, Wright State, or someone else.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby VUGrad1314 » March 24th, 2018, 12:35 pm

No mention of Belmont... Crap...

Lots of pessimism on the Murray State board. They seen to feel like Elgin and the MVC are playing them. Speaking of Elgin, what gives? I thought he had become pro-expansion and wanted Murray State.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby jsaluki080 » March 24th, 2018, 1:02 pm

uniguy wrote:It sure seems that way the way that Elgin was talking in that interview. It is a shame. Just doesn't seem to be a lot of forward thinking from the conference office. They've all been there forever and they like things the way they are.

That said, I still think going to 11 for now and waiting for a 12th to emerge instead of forcing it makes the most sense. But, apparently, a conference operating with 11 teams is impossible.

:+1:

I agree. I’m aware there are problems with just going to 11. But I still say it’s the best choice and the MVC has managed with 11 members before.
jsaluki080
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » March 24th, 2018, 3:31 pm

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:SaintLouBrave posted this recently fwiw:

Completely agree with everything, but lets say it again for what it is...when it comes down to it and the folks ask Elgin, his opinion is going to be that of narrow mindedness and zero desire to change and just let the world pass by.

Now we all know in the end its really up to the schools in a vote, but the commissioner and his assistant take great lengths in making their expansion (or lack of) opinion known. Whats odd is they being Elgin and Watkins are at odds about what would better the league, which makes things all the more interesting. Watkins had explored expansion on his own and I have talked to some in the know folks that said the league has the capability and opening to expand again and have everything in place prior to the next league season, but Elgin did not like that idea and who knows where they're at now because he poo-pooed it.

We have all discussed at great length where it looks like the NCAA and the tournament are going, so why stand pat? Why not do whatever you possibly can to be on the good side to where you can make the conference look as great and as strong as possible?

Murray State can certainly help with that....get them and the next best available --- whether that be Northern Kentucky, Wright State, or someone else.

I wonder what proposal was made that Elgin doesnt want? GCU/NMSU?
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby VUGrad1314 » March 24th, 2018, 3:41 pm

1. Travel\finances

2.FBS Football

Absolutely sure we won't see those schools for these reasons.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BearsCountry » March 24th, 2018, 4:48 pm

Probably should double down on Chicago and take a flyer on UIC for #12 with Murray State.
BearsCountry
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » March 24th, 2018, 4:53 pm

BearsCountry wrote:Probably should double down on Chicago and take a flyer on UIC for #12 with Murray State.

horrible idea
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby RacerJoeD » March 24th, 2018, 5:22 pm

Cue up the realignment machine... Gonzaga to the Mountain West?
RacerJoeD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby VUGrad1314 » March 24th, 2018, 9:42 pm

Seems like that one's pretty much done. Good for the Bulldogs. And good for us as we may be able to schedule them and that conference's metrics will receive a nice shove upwards boosting our SOS. Now all that remains to be seen is what kind of bite the WCC wants to take out of the WAC. I have to assume they'll be adding GCU as that is their best shot at remaining relevant and recouping the lost strength and prestige, but maybe, especially with BYU probably looking for the exit and St Mary's as another possible defection candidate, they will embrace a 12 team model and take Seattle and Cal-Baptist. This way, if one or both of BYU and SMC leave, they'll still have 10 or 11 teams. I believe that both Seattle and Cal-Baptist have real potential and would be good fits for the WCC.

The WAC can absorb the loss of one school but with CSU-Bakersfield already having announced its decision to leave, I have to believe that other members are going to get nervous enough to seek more stable homes. UMKC will likely engage with the Summit League Utah Valley probably tries for a spot in the Big Sky joining Weber State and Southern Utah UTRGV probably looks for the Southland though the Summit could possibly be a landing spot for both UTRGV and Utah Valley as it appears to be shifting westward.

NMSU will try for the MWC but I doubt they'll gain much traction unless BYU gives up its independence in football They don't want the Big Sky The WCC won't take them. I think their choices dwindle down to the Summit the Horizon or the MVC but would Elgin really consider a program so far outside the footprint? Who would the corresponding add be? SFA? UTA? Oral Roberts? Would the other schools consent to such a massive travel increase? And what about Murray State?
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby VUGrad1314 » March 24th, 2018, 10:42 pm

VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball