Updated 1/6/18: MVC Expansion Poll

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Choose two: Who do you think the MVC should add?

Murray State
81
46%
Northern Kentucky
33
19%
UW-Milwaukee
8
5%
Oakland
1
1%
South Dakota State
8
5%
Southeast Missouri State
2
1%
Belmont
28
16%
Grand Canyon
6
3%
UT-Arlington
4
2%
Denver
6
3%
 
Total votes : 177

Re: Updated 1/6/18: MVC Expansion Poll

Postby bleach » January 6th, 2018, 4:22 pm

RacerJoeD wrote:You guys are missing something. It isn’t only about bids. It’s about seeding. The swag gets a bid, but it is usually a 16. If your conference, by virtue of being perceived as a better conference and therefor the winner as a better team, gets a better seed, there is more chance of a favorable matchup in the tournament. The money in the tournament isn’t in bids, it’s in wins, because the money goes up with every round. The chances of winning go up with the better seed, and therefore the money goes up with the perception of the conference. Adding highly respected and nationally competitive teams to your conference, done correctly, makes more money per school despite the need to divide by more teams.


In a perfect world you could get more money per team. I highly doubt the committee is gonna say ISUR should have been in last year if Murray or NKU had been in the league. I highly doubt WSU would have been seeded higher. I know the shares would have been less valuable with more teams to split it between.
bleach
All MVC
All MVC
 
Posts: 729
Joined: January 8th, 2011, 9:26 am
Location: SW Missouri

Re: Updated 1/6/18: MVC Expansion Poll

Sponsor

Sponsor
 

Re: Updated 1/6/18: MVC Expansion Poll

Postby lime » January 6th, 2018, 5:04 pm

ptownbraves wrote:Unless we can get SLU and Murray State, I'd rather we stay at 10. NKU would be fine I guess, but they've only been a D1 school since 2013.


This, but I would accept Belmont with SLU or Murray State. I have no real interest in anyone else for 11/12.
lime
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer
 
Posts: 63
Joined: November 12th, 2010, 11:21 pm

Re: Updated 1/6/18: MVC Expansion Poll

Postby TheAsianSensation » January 6th, 2018, 5:38 pm

I am getting irrationally mad about the concept that you can't schedule for an 11-team league.

Either way, 11 or 12 is better. Ask Wichita St how their resume is being enhanced in a 12-team league with creative scheduling to avoid having to play bad teams twice. Works, doesn't it?

Whatever add we make, we have to do it with the short-term in mind. We don't have time in the changing landscape to wait for programs to grow naturally. We need a winning program, or at least a program who can throw money at the problem.

Of course, none of the prospects are powerhouse programs. So I reluctantly vote for Northern Kentucky, who we can at least rely on to throw money and resources at the problem to keep up with the rest of the league. There's no such assurances on the others from a budget standpoint. I don't trust Milwaukee or Oakland to spend long-term, and I don't trust any Dakota school, especially NDSU, given their football.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com
 
Posts: 1109
Joined: April 6th, 2012, 7:23 am

Re: Updated 1/6/18: MVC Expansion Poll

Postby VUGrad1314 » January 6th, 2018, 11:24 pm

I don't understand how anyone can look at this list of programs and vote for Denver or Milwaukee (especially Denver) but that's just me.
VUGrad1314
MVC starter
MVC starter
 
Posts: 310
Joined: May 27th, 2017, 9:05 pm

Re: Updated 1/6/18: MVC Expansion Poll

Postby VUGrad1314 » January 6th, 2018, 11:25 pm

lime wrote:
ptownbraves wrote:Unless we can get SLU and Murray State, I'd rather we stay at 10. NKU would be fine I guess, but they've only been a D1 school since 2013.


This, but I would accept Belmont with SLU or Murray State. I have no real interest in anyone else for 11/12.

I'd take a closer look at NKU before you say that.
VUGrad1314
MVC starter
MVC starter
 
Posts: 310
Joined: May 27th, 2017, 9:05 pm

Re: Updated 1/6/18: MVC Expansion Poll

Postby bufan741777 » January 6th, 2018, 11:32 pm

VUGrad1314 wrote:
lime wrote:
ptownbraves wrote:Unless we can get SLU and Murray State, I'd rather we stay at 10. NKU would be fine I guess, but they've only been a D1 school since 2013.


This, but I would accept Belmont with SLU or Murray State. I have no real interest in anyone else for 11/12.

I'd take a closer look at NKU before you say that.


:+1:
bufan741777
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player
 
Posts: 106
Joined: January 1st, 2018, 8:22 pm

Re: Updated 1/6/18: MVC Expansion Poll

Postby BCPanther » January 8th, 2018, 8:54 am

TheAsianSensation wrote:I am getting irrationally mad about the concept that you can't schedule for an 11-team league.

Either way, 11 or 12 is better. Ask Wichita St how their resume is being enhanced in a 12-team league with creative scheduling to avoid having to play bad teams twice. Works, doesn't it?

Whatever add we make, we have to do it with the short-term in mind. We don't have time in the changing landscape to wait for programs to grow naturally. We need a winning program, or at least a program who can throw money at the problem.

Of course, none of the prospects are powerhouse programs. So I reluctantly vote for Northern Kentucky, who we can at least rely on to throw money and resources at the problem to keep up with the rest of the league. There's no such assurances on the others from a budget standpoint. I don't trust Milwaukee or Oakland to spend long-term, and I don't trust any Dakota school, especially NDSU, given their football.


I've been there for weeks. We're the only league that is making inconvenient VB and WBB scheduling a deal breaker. Oh No!! We might have to play a WBB game on a Tuesday and somebody won't have a travel partner!!!!

Do you know how much we could help the top MBB teams by only having them have to play two of the Thrusday teams once instead of twice? 8 double plays and 2 single plays is not a difficult schedule by any means.

Oh and in the poll, give me Arlington and New Mexico State..
BCPanther
All MVC
All MVC
 
Posts: 961
Joined: August 8th, 2010, 9:10 am

Re: Updated 1/6/18: MVC Expansion Poll

Postby ThisIsTheLineup » January 8th, 2018, 11:57 am

Hello - long time listener, first time caller (Redbirdfan regular)....

I would be all in on NKU - but it seems like the Valley is trying to find schools in big tv markets. While NKU IS in the Cincy market (#34) and doesn't have to compete with the NBA like others would (Denver, Milwaukee) - they DO have to compete with two bigger colleges (Cincy and Xavier). Will that be the case in a decade? Will their fanbase and program grow that big if they get picked up by a bigger conference? Who knows...would the Valley want to take that risk? Dope arena, though!

I would go with SLU first and foremost (if that is a possibility) - prestige, fan base, success, tv market, location all play a role.
Murray State would be my second option - while it isn't in a big tv market (Who covers them? Paducah?), they have the prestige and the name.
Belmont would be third. Big tv market with a struggling P5 school to compete with for tv time, prestige and success.
If you get one of the Dakotas, you'd have to get them all IMO. If that were to happen, then I think the Valley would start taking a serious look at merging with MVFC.
2017-2018 MVC Regular Season Pick ‘em Champ
Go You Redbirds!
ThisIsTheLineup
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit
 
Posts: 12
Joined: February 22nd, 2017, 8:50 am

Re: Updated 1/6/18: MVC Expansion Poll

Postby BirdsEyeView » January 8th, 2018, 12:56 pm

ThisIsTheLineup wrote:Hello - long time listener, first time caller (Redbirdfan regular)....

I would be all in on NKU - but it seems like the Valley is trying to find schools in big tv markets. While NKU IS in the Cincy market (#34) and doesn't have to compete with the NBA like others would (Denver, Milwaukee) - they DO have to compete with two bigger colleges (Cincy and Xavier). Will that be the case in a decade? Will their fanbase and program grow that big if they get picked up by a bigger conference? Who knows...would the Valley want to take that risk? Dope arena, though!

I would go with SLU first and foremost (if that is a possibility) - prestige, fan base, success, tv market, location all play a role.
Murray State would be my second option - while it isn't in a big tv market (Who covers them? Paducah?), they have the prestige and the name.
Belmont would be third. Big tv market with a struggling P5 school to compete with for tv time, prestige and success.
If you get one of the Dakotas, you'd have to get them all IMO. If that were to happen, then I think the Valley would start taking a serious look at merging with MVFC.


:+1:

Welcome aboard as well!
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer
 
Posts: 1495
Joined: February 28th, 2014, 12:51 pm

Re: Updated 1/6/18: MVC Expansion Poll

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » January 8th, 2018, 3:56 pm

Murray State and Northern Kentucky.

Murray should’ve been added years ago. Two top 25 teams (2012, 2015) and two ncaa wins (2010, 2012) this decade. Racers also have had 2 potential long runs cut short by a possession to the national runnerup (Butler) or champion (Kansas). 29 straight winning seasons that spans several coaches (Gottfried, Cronin, Kennedy, Prohm). One of the better traveling mid major fan bases.

Northern Kentucky made the Tourney in Year 1 of eligibility and gave Kentucky all it could handle for 30 minutes. In year 2, they’re 4-0 in the Horizon with a win at league favorite Oakland. I didn’t settle on NKU until attending a Saturday home game at Milwaukee and then NKU this past month. I was utterly blown away by Northern Kentucky. If you’re on the fence, I highly suggest planning a couple roadtrips to these venues before the season ends. You can doubledip with other games in the area.
User avatar
MissouriValleyUnite
All MVC
All MVC
 
Posts: 468
Joined: February 10th, 2014, 9:59 am

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot] and 9 guests