Updated 1/6/18: MVC Expansion Poll

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Choose two: Who do you think the MVC should add?

Murray State
47%
Northern Kentucky
13%
UW-Milwaukee
5%
Oakland
0%
South Dakota State
4%
Southeast Missouri State
1%
Belmont
21%
Grand Canyon
2%
UT-Arlington
3%
Denver
5%

Total votes : 277

Re: Updated 1/6/18: MVC Expansion Poll

Postby rally » March 4th, 2018, 11:52 am

VU2014 wrote:Also there is no chance we raid the A10. Rhode Island, Dayton, VCU and SLU. SLU's admin/fans think very highly of themselves and they think the MVC is a "downgrade" even though the MVC was pretty clearly better then the A10 this season. The only way SLU joins the MVC is if the Big East adds Dayton and maybe if the AAC decides to add a VCU or URI as non-football members down the road.

The issue is that it is not an upgrade. An A10 school isn't going to pay a $5 million buyout and give up their tournament units (75% goes to the school who earned them in the A10) to join a conference that is not an upgrade. In spite of Dayton/VCU having down years, the A10 is still positioned to get more bids than the MVC.
rally
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby smidge34 » March 4th, 2018, 12:07 pm

:buddies: It’s the MVC or nothing right now the way I see it for Murray. It’s such a mutually beneficial situation it’s crazy. We really need the MVC right now and as a conference you’d be well compensated in the exchange. It has to be the theory of no suitable 12th member.
smidge34
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby ACECARD » March 4th, 2018, 12:18 pm

mvfcfan wrote:
Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:
Bjhracer wrote:51 RPI when half of your conference opponents have 200+ RPI. Murray could of honestly made the MVC a 2 bid league this season. You can't force an invite though and if they don't want us then what do you do. Just keep beating them in OOC games.

Murray is a great team but you got the same delusions as Valpo fans had coming in if you think they would have had a 51 RPI in the MVC this season. Great team though. I do believe they would have finished in the 3-5 range though.

I watched Murray State play in person twice this season. They would have finished no less than 2nd in the MVC this year.

I do believe that this would be true.
ACECARD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby E-Villan » March 4th, 2018, 12:42 pm

smidge34 wrote::buddies: It’s the MVC or nothing right now the way I see it for Murray. It’s such a mutually beneficial situation it’s crazy. We really need the MVC right now and as a conference you’d be well compensated in the exchange. It has to be the theory of no suitable 12th member.

I was at the Murray-Belmont game last night. First, I agree with the other posters, Murray would have been a Top-2 Team in the Valley this year. No question.

The Murray fans are fantastic. You guys took over the Ford Center, and if nothing else, proved to Evansville fans, and Todd Golden, that the Ford Center can have an energetic atmosphere. I am sure you would do the same in St. Louis.

There is no question you guys are "worthy" of being the MVC. There is no question that you can come in and compete right away, and I somewhat agree that the MVC needs you. I am just not so sure Murray needs the MVC like you say.

I understand how Murray got screwed with the 3 loss season. The sad thing is we are both pretty much a 1 bid league. I do agree that a team with just 3 losses would get an at large out of the MVC, but the odds are much harder to do that. Road games are brutal in this league, and in a typical year, 3 losses in the OVC would probably equate to about 5 losses in the MVC. That won't get you in. It's pretty easy to run the table on the bottom of the OVC, but not the case in the MVC.

Murray is running the OVC. You guys got the tournament moved, and I am sure after last night, it will go wherever you want it to. You typically have 1 or 2 teams that are standing in your way. You would have about 6 year in and out here.

From the outside, things seem great in Murray. I would wait and see what 12th member the MVC came up with, and only if that seemed to be the difference in adding bids, would I want to jump. I think all the conferences below the P5 will be facing some big challenges in the next few years.
E-Villan
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Bjhracer » March 4th, 2018, 2:19 pm

I think you underestimate how tough it is to win on the road in any conference. Sure all of the OVC teams are inferior to mVC on paper, but its still tough winning on the road. At this point I think Murray needs to change the MVC mind on going to 11. Would a sweet 16 this year from the Racers make that happen?
Bjhracer
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Pantherholic » March 4th, 2018, 2:42 pm

Bjhracer wrote:I think you underestimate how tough it is to win on the road in any conference. Sure all of the OVC teams are inferior to mVC on paper, but its still tough winning on the road. At this point I think Murray needs to change the MVC mind on going to 11. Would a sweet 16 this year from the Racers make that happen?

Doubtful. There's no doubt MSU deserves an invite but Evansville's AD was adamant how unrealistic an 11 team league is because of all the traveling nightmares for all sports. It's unrealistic to think he's the only AD with that opinion. The Valley knows they can get them whenever they want AND have no competition from other conferences so they can take their time finding the right 12th team. It sucks, but unless your school has some unbelievable fall from grace, it's just a matter of time.
Pantherholic
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby All-MVC Fan » March 4th, 2018, 7:25 pm

Food for thought...

Given the political sensibilities which are inherent in anything involving universities, would Elgin even hint that we’re expanding until the official announcement? The last two times we were replacing a school, so it was obvious what was happening. Perhaps he is just playing this sickeningly close to the vest? There could be buyout issues he’s trying to sidestep, conference championship issues for target schools, etc. So I could see him saying “We’re not expanding,” right up until the presser in which he announces additions.

Or, he AND THE UNIVERSITY PRESIDENTS could just be morons with no vision.

Hmmm, perhaps I should do a poll... :huh:
All-MVC Fan
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » March 4th, 2018, 7:28 pm

No poll needed. Regardless they are morons with no vision.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BearsCountry » March 4th, 2018, 8:09 pm

Murray State isn't going anywhere and we don't have anybody worth a darn for #12.
BearsCountry
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Pantherholic » March 4th, 2018, 9:15 pm

All-MVC Fan wrote:Food for thought...

Given the political sensibilities which are inherent in anything involving universities, would Elgin even hint that we’re expanding until the official announcement? The last two times we were replacing a school, so it was obvious what was happening. Perhaps he is just playing this sickeningly close to the vest? There could be buyout issues he’s trying to sidestep, conference championship issues for target schools, etc. So I could see him saying “We’re not expanding,” right up until the presser in which he announces additions.

Agreed, they COULD announce they're looking to expand to 12 and be annoyed even more by every media outlet anytime a President, AD and/or league official gives an interview. They could do that and speak in the same vague generalities they are currently which gives misleading or meaningless hints on a timeframe that may or may not be true. I know I enjoy making my job much more difficult than it needs to be so it makes sense Elgin & company should probably do the same too.

Also, considering Valpo is currently in a lawsuit with the Horizon League, it makes EVEN MORE sense to make everything as public as possible.
Pantherholic
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball