Updated 1/6/18: MVC Expansion Poll

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Choose two: Who do you think the MVC should add?

Murray State
47%
Northern Kentucky
13%
UW-Milwaukee
5%
Oakland
0%
South Dakota State
4%
Southeast Missouri State
1%
Belmont
21%
Grand Canyon
2%
UT-Arlington
3%
Denver
5%

Total votes : 277

Re: Updated 1/6/18: MVC Expansion Poll

Postby SMUfan » March 19th, 2018, 11:48 am

Now that these schools season's are over, when do you guys expect to hear something?
SMUfan
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby valleydays » March 19th, 2018, 3:05 pm

Hope I'm wrong, but I honestly don't expect the MVC to expand at all. I think the leadership is happy at 10 and membership will remain as it is until someone leaves.

Thanks for your interest, Murray. Good luck in the OVC. :(
valleydays
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby VUGrad1314 » March 19th, 2018, 8:57 pm

I believe that we will likely hear something definitive either in April shortly after the tournament if the expansion is to occur immediately or in late-June\ early July if it's more of a long-term plan. The MVC doesn't have to do anything until July 1, 2020 when North Dakota joins the MVFC. I fully expect Murray State to become a member on or before that date. Announcing after the tournament would allow any schools planning to move to avoid exit fees from their current conferences while still being in line with the July 2020 timeline. I still recall a person on Murray State's fan board saying that we would hear something in July. Just because Commissioner Elgin says we're staying at 10 this year doesn't mean expansion talk should cease. The Valley plays its cards very close to the vest and won't announce anything this important until everything is final, especially while the tournament is still going on.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniguy » March 19th, 2018, 8:59 pm

It sure seems that way the way that Elgin was talking in that interview. It is a shame. Just doesn't seem to be a lot of forward thinking from the conference office. They've all been there forever and they like things the way they are.

That said, I still think going to 11 for now and waiting for a 12th to emerge instead of forcing it makes the most sense. But, apparently, a conference operating with 11 teams is impossible.
uniguy
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » March 19th, 2018, 10:40 pm

SaintLouBrave posted this recently fwiw:

Completely agree with everything, but lets say it again for what it is...when it comes down to it and the folks ask Elgin, his opinion is going to be that of narrow mindedness and zero desire to change and just let the world pass by.

Now we all know in the end its really up to the schools in a vote, but the commissioner and his assistant take great lengths in making their expansion (or lack of) opinion known. Whats odd is they being Elgin and Watkins are at odds about what would better the league, which makes things all the more interesting. Watkins had explored expansion on his own and I have talked to some in the know folks that said the league has the capability and opening to expand again and have everything in place prior to the next league season, but Elgin did not like that idea and who knows where they're at now because he poo-pooed it.

We have all discussed at great length where it looks like the NCAA and the tournament are going, so why stand pat? Why not do whatever you possibly can to be on the good side to where you can make the conference look as great and as strong as possible?

Murray State can certainly help with that....get them and the next best available --- whether that be Northern Kentucky, Wright State, or someone else.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby VUGrad1314 » March 24th, 2018, 12:35 pm

No mention of Belmont... Crap...

Lots of pessimism on the Murray State board. They seen to feel like Elgin and the MVC are playing them. Speaking of Elgin, what gives? I thought he had become pro-expansion and wanted Murray State.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby jsaluki080 » March 24th, 2018, 1:02 pm

uniguy wrote:It sure seems that way the way that Elgin was talking in that interview. It is a shame. Just doesn't seem to be a lot of forward thinking from the conference office. They've all been there forever and they like things the way they are.

That said, I still think going to 11 for now and waiting for a 12th to emerge instead of forcing it makes the most sense. But, apparently, a conference operating with 11 teams is impossible.

:+1:

I agree. I’m aware there are problems with just going to 11. But I still say it’s the best choice and the MVC has managed with 11 members before.
jsaluki080
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » March 24th, 2018, 3:31 pm

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:SaintLouBrave posted this recently fwiw:

Completely agree with everything, but lets say it again for what it is...when it comes down to it and the folks ask Elgin, his opinion is going to be that of narrow mindedness and zero desire to change and just let the world pass by.

Now we all know in the end its really up to the schools in a vote, but the commissioner and his assistant take great lengths in making their expansion (or lack of) opinion known. Whats odd is they being Elgin and Watkins are at odds about what would better the league, which makes things all the more interesting. Watkins had explored expansion on his own and I have talked to some in the know folks that said the league has the capability and opening to expand again and have everything in place prior to the next league season, but Elgin did not like that idea and who knows where they're at now because he poo-pooed it.

We have all discussed at great length where it looks like the NCAA and the tournament are going, so why stand pat? Why not do whatever you possibly can to be on the good side to where you can make the conference look as great and as strong as possible?

Murray State can certainly help with that....get them and the next best available --- whether that be Northern Kentucky, Wright State, or someone else.

I wonder what proposal was made that Elgin doesnt want? GCU/NMSU?
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby VUGrad1314 » March 24th, 2018, 3:41 pm

1. Travel\finances

2.FBS Football

Absolutely sure we won't see those schools for these reasons.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BearsCountry » March 24th, 2018, 4:48 pm

Probably should double down on Chicago and take a flyer on UIC for #12 with Murray State.
BearsCountry
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball