Updated 1/6/18: MVC Expansion Poll

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Choose two: Who do you think the MVC should add?

Murray State
47%
Northern Kentucky
13%
UW-Milwaukee
5%
Oakland
0%
South Dakota State
4%
Southeast Missouri State
1%
Belmont
21%
Grand Canyon
2%
UT-Arlington
3%
Denver
5%

Total votes : 277

Re: Updated 1/6/18: MVC Expansion Poll

Postby VU2014 » February 16th, 2018, 11:51 am

The Horzion League became a Conference that nobody wants to be in. Valpo desperately wanted into the MVC when Loyola got in ahead of us. UWM badly wanted in when we got in.

The Horizon League has become a dumpster fire this season and really fell off a cliff. There are too many schools that are "deadweight" like YSU, Cleveland State, IUPUI (who they just "stole" from the SL), Detroit-Mercy and Green Bay is really struggling this season. IPFW wants into the HL but the reasons have zero to do with basketball competency but instead everything to do with cutting travel expenses.

The Summit League has a couple solid teams but what happens to SDSU is likely to tail off when Mike Daum graduates and their young head coach T.J. Otzelberger is already being rumored for bigger jobs.

The OVC is just complete garbage once you look past Belmont and Murray State. We're seriously talking WAC bad but just more "stable".
VU2014
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby jacksfan29 » February 16th, 2018, 2:35 pm

VU2014 wrote:The Horzion League became a Conference that nobody wants to be in. Valpo desperately wanted into the MVC when Loyola got in ahead of us. UWM badly wanted in when we got in.

The Horizon League has become a dumpster fire this season and really fell off a cliff. There are too many schools that are "deadweight" like YSU, Cleveland State, IUPUI (who they just "stole" from the SL), Detroit-Mercy and Green Bay is really struggling this season. IPFW wants into the HL but the reasons have zero to do with basketball competency but instead everything to do with cutting travel expenses.

The Summit League has a couple solid teams but what happens to SDSU is likely to tail off when Mike Daum graduates and their young head coach T.J. Otzelberger is already being rumored for bigger jobs.

The OVC is just complete garbage once you look past Belmont and Murray State. We're seriously talking WAC bad but just more "stable".

We heard the same thing when Nate Wolter's graduated and later when Scott Nagy left. SDSU will be fine after Daum graduates and if TJ leaves, he will be replaced with another solid coach. Besides, we already have our next "Mike Daum" in the starting lineup (David Jenkins) and I'm told one of our redshirts may be the best player to ever step on the court at SDSU. No matter which league SDSU are in, don't expect too much of a downturn anytime soon.

As for BC Panther, last I checked you already associate with those academic dregs in the Summit. But hey, UNI, now that's an academic powerhouse :roll: . Maybe I should give you a break, our friendly, crazy UND fan has arrived to your site peddling his crazy conference speculation and revisionist history. Sorry, he makes LakesBison look sane.

I'm out, you may want to do something new with this thread. It is about to be taken over by UNDfan.
jacksfan29
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby BCPanther » February 16th, 2018, 6:58 pm

jacksfan29 wrote:
VU2014 wrote:The Horzion League became a Conference that nobody wants to be in. Valpo desperately wanted into the MVC when Loyola got in ahead of us. UWM badly wanted in when we got in.

We heard the same thing when Nate Wolter's graduated and later when Scott Nagy left. SDSU will be fine after Daum graduates and if TJ leaves, he will be replaced with another solid coach. Besides, we already have our next "Mike Daum" in the starting lineup (David Jenkins) and I'm told one of our redshirts may be the best player to ever step on the court at SDSU. No matter which league SDSU are in, don't expect too much of a downturn anytime soon.

As for BC Panther, last I checked you already associate with those academic dregs in the Summit. But hey, UNI, now that's an academic powerhouse :roll: . Maybe I should give you a break, our friendly, crazy UND fan has arrived to your site peddling his crazy conference speculation and revisionist history. Sorry, he makes LakesBison look sane.

I'm out, you may want to do something new with this thread. It is about to be taken over by UNDfan.

Oh, I'm well aware of where UNI sits in the world of academia. Regional teachers college that also kicks out accountants from a well above average business school. We ain't curing cancer or unleashing Earth changing science. That guy makes it seem like MIT moved into the Dakotas.

I'd take SDSU tomorrow as my first choice if you weren't a package deal with the rest of the bunch. Cash, tradition, willingness to invest, decently easily accessible from Sioux Falls . If take Murray and SDSU and be done with it.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby VUGrad1314 » February 16th, 2018, 9:28 pm

Me too. I'd be all for adding SDSU. It's a real shame that there isn't a second consistent program in the vicinity that could serve as a travel partner. I think pairing Drake or UNI with SDSU would really upset the travel partner balance\arrangements unless the other Iowa school would then partner with Murray State which would free up SIU to partner with the Racers. Is that a workable solution?
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TheAsianSensation » February 16th, 2018, 10:13 pm

Wright St lured away South Dakota St's coach with more money and resources.

Ergo, Wright St > SDSU on the expansion pecking order.

It's as simple as that, really.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby BCPanther » February 16th, 2018, 10:15 pm

VUGrad1314 wrote:Me too. I'd be all for adding SDSU. It's a real shame that there isn't a second consistent program in the vicinity that could serve as a travel partner. I think pairing Drake or UNI with SDSU would really upset the travel partner balance\arrangements unless the other Iowa school would then partner with Murray State which would free up SIU to partner with the Racers. Is that a workable solution?

It's sloppy but it works--
UNI/SDSU (5 hours)
Drake/MSU (5.5 hours)
SIU/Murray (90 minutes)
Bradley/IlSU (1 hour)
Evansville/InSU (2 hours)
Valpo/Loyola (1 hour)

Not bad, two bad travel weekends. 4 easy travel weekends for the women.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BCPanther » February 16th, 2018, 10:17 pm

TheAsianSensation wrote:Wright St lured away South Dakota St's coach with more money and resources.

Ergo, Wright St > SDSU on the expansion pecking order.

It's as simple as that, really.

Not quite that easy, South Dakota had some really weird contract laws for State employees that they're working on correcting. At will employees that they couldn't sign for longer than 18 months at a time. Weird stuff.

South Dakota State is in a better position long term, imo...
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby VUGrad1314 » February 16th, 2018, 10:28 pm

Wright State just beat NKU for the season sweep of the Norse. They now hold the tiebreaker for first place in the Horizon League. Also the door is now wide open for UIC. The Flames remain a game back of WSU\NKU but have home dates with both during the last week of the season. I share this information because it may impact the expansion committee's thoughts about NKU and their readiness for this conference. (Honestly it probably won't as NKU really feels like the best non-Belmont option but you never know.) What do you guys think? Does Wright State sweeping NKU change your thoughts on the Norse? If UIC wins the HL, does the MVC look more seriously at them? Could Wright State be a workable travel partner for Murray State?
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » February 16th, 2018, 10:29 pm

SDSU is an incredibly consistent program that would improve the league. I’ve just never considered the Jackrabbits realistic with the Summit tourney in Sioux Falls so I don’t waste energy on a moot point.

Anyone catch that NKU/Wright St environment tonight? Wow.

A couple months back I went to a triple header (DePaul/Xavier, IUPUI/WSU, UIC/NKU). Impressed by Wright St and blown away by NKU. Stark contrast to my trip to UWM where the number of Loyola fans (~200) nearly matched the number of UWM fans (~300).

Also funny knowing NKU led UIC 43-10 that night considering UIC’s just a game out of first now.

Any of NKU, Wright St, & Belmont (private balance) would be quality #12’s.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TheAsianSensation » February 17th, 2018, 1:26 am

VUGrad1314 wrote:Wright State just beat NKU for the season sweep of the Norse. They now hold the tiebreaker for first place in the Horizon League. Also the door is now wide open for UIC. The Flames remain a game back of WSU\NKU but have home dates with both during the last week of the season. I share this information because it may impact the expansion committee's thoughts about NKU and their readiness for this conference. (Honestly it probably won't as NKU really feels like the best non-Belmont option but you never know.) What do you guys think? Does Wright State sweeping NKU change your thoughts on the Norse? If UIC wins the HL, does the MVC look more seriously at them? Could Wright State be a workable travel partner for Murray State?

2 games, and even the conference race/title, cannot and should not impact any decision.

If anything, the collective punt that the conference took in the RPI this year is a ding against all of them.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball