Updated 1/6/18: MVC Expansion Poll

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Choose two: Who do you think the MVC should add?

Murray State
47%
Northern Kentucky
13%
UW-Milwaukee
5%
Oakland
0%
South Dakota State
4%
Southeast Missouri State
1%
Belmont
21%
Grand Canyon
2%
UT-Arlington
3%
Denver
5%

Total votes : 277

Re: Updated 1/6/18: MVC Expansion Poll

Postby E-Villan » March 25th, 2018, 9:03 am

Wow..can you imagine if somehow Western and Murray was ever in the same conference again? They don't even play each other, and look at this.

Let's clarify...neither Western or Murray are members of the MVC, yet, here they are, on our forum, swinging, throwing punches and crashing into everything for our amusement. It's like a classic bar fight, that ends up going down the street, crashing through every building along the way. While they spilled into our living room, Western threw a stomach punch, and Murray hit him over the head with a chair.

We're just a few posts in, and we already have proof of improprieties with farm animals in Bowling Green. This should be good.
E-Villan
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Just Another Guy » March 25th, 2018, 11:42 am

If Elgin does not want to go over 10, I have an idea.

Trade Indiana State and a school to be named later to the OVC in exchange for Murray State. :bounce:
Just Another Guy
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby pafan » March 25th, 2018, 11:51 am

E-Villan wrote:Wow..can you imagine if somehow Western and Murray was ever in the same conference again? They don't even play each other, and look at this.

Thank God they built Kentucky Lake to separate these two warring factions of Kentucky.
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Postby ptownbraves » March 25th, 2018, 1:48 pm

One thing that gets lost in expansion talk...does anyone know who actually has decision making authority with regard to expansion? I know there is a president's council made up of all MVC schools that votes on issues like expansion candidates. Is it the school presidents or Elgin or both?
ptownbraves
All MVC
All MVC

Postby pafan » March 25th, 2018, 5:57 pm

Presidents council has the authority. Elgin and the conference staff in general are expected to make a report to the presidents - and the presidents will likely do whatever they suggest.
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Postby Buxcies » March 27th, 2018, 5:07 pm

What about Lipscomb as a possible addition? It seems that we have tried to go the Nashville route multiple times with Belmont but they are happy to stay in the OVC. Lipscomb could be a Loyola like add in that it is a religious institution without a large history of basketball success, (although they did make the tournament this year) but is located in a large market. I just read up on them, they return the majority of their team from last year and could continue to improve their program.
Buxcies
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby TheAsianSensation » March 27th, 2018, 9:24 pm

Buxcies wrote:What about Lipscomb as a possible addition? It seems that we have tried to go the Nashville route multiple times with Belmont but they are happy to stay in the OVC. Lipscomb could be a Loyola like add in that it is a religious institution without a large history of basketball success, (although they did make the tournament this year) but is located in a large market. I just read up on them, they return the majority of their team from last year and could continue to improve their program.

Feels like a stretch. One big thing with Loyola was budget - they have some cash to throw around and could spend their way to the top of the league. Not sure where Lipscomb's finances are.

As for Nashville....I think the pursuit of Belmont was solely about the on-court basketball product, and location of the program was just about irrelevant (as long as it was close enough for reasonable travel). Nashville really doesn't fit the demographics compared to the rest of the locations in the conference.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby TheAsianSensation » March 27th, 2018, 9:28 pm

One thing to watch: if Gonzaga leaves, the WCC is in prime position to poach Seattle from the WAC, and the WAC would once again be pressed against the minimum limit required to exist as a conference.

I'd do a couple things:

1) Call BYU. It's a longshot, but the WCC sans Gonzaga is not what they want their endgame to be. With the MWC filled up and Wichita taking the non-football spot in the AAC, it's possible the MVC represents their last best chance at having semi-regular chances at at-large bids in the future.

2) Call New Mexico St. If the WAC is gonna go down in flames.....

Actually honestly I'm surprised the Summit hasn't made a power play for Grand Canyon/NMSU (and maybe even UVU). If they can somehow shed IPFW and WIU, they can refocus as a western conference and build a pretty strong 10-team league. The XDSUs and the rest of the conference are putting up palatable RPIs these last few years.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby uniguy » March 27th, 2018, 10:05 pm

TheAsianSensation wrote:One thing to watch: if Gonzaga leaves, the WCC is in prime position to poach Seattle from the WAC, and the WAC would once again be pressed against the minimum limit required to exist as a conference.

I'd do a couple things:

1) Call BYU. It's a longshot, but the WCC sans Gonzaga is not what they want their endgame to be. With the MWC filled up and Wichita taking the non-football spot in the AAC, it's possible the MVC represents their last best chance at having semi-regular chances at at-large bids in the future.

2) Call New Mexico St. If the WAC is gonna go down in flames.....

Actually honestly I'm surprised the Summit hasn't made a power play for Grand Canyon/NMSU (and maybe even UVU). If they can somehow shed IPFW and WIU, they can refocus as a western conference and build a pretty strong 10-team league. The XDSUs and the rest of the conference are putting up palatable RPIs these last few years.

Fort Wayne would be a better fit in the Horizon (but I doubt the Horizon wants them right now).

Western Illinois would be a better fit in the OVC (but I doubt the OVC wants them right now). Honestly Western could go to the OVC and basically flip with Murray for football and Murray could join the MVC in hoops.

I think it is likely UMKC rejoins the Summit League, possibly as soon as this year which would also be a hit to the WAC. Would be pretty funny if all of that went down and a league whose office is in Chicago had no teams east of Omaha. But there is some logic in focusing on the west.
uniguy
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Mikovio » March 28th, 2018, 6:35 am

Things eventually worked out, but if Murray and their 48 RPI were in the league that would have been another Quadrant 1 win waiting for Loyola on the road and possibly another one in St. Louis, significantly enhancing their resume. Yeah it's one more mouth to feed but if they can just maintain a top 75 program it'll carry its own weight.
Mikovio
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball