Updated 1/6/18: MVC Expansion Poll

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Choose two: Who do you think the MVC should add?

Murray State
47%
Northern Kentucky
13%
UW-Milwaukee
5%
Oakland
0%
South Dakota State
4%
Southeast Missouri State
1%
Belmont
21%
Grand Canyon
2%
UT-Arlington
3%
Denver
5%

Total votes : 277

Re: Updated 1/6/18: MVC Expansion Poll

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » February 25th, 2018, 2:45 pm

Make the MVC great again!
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Rambler63 » February 25th, 2018, 4:03 pm

mvfcfan wrote:Northern KY is beating IUPUI by 26 with 8 minutes to go and is well on their way to getting their first Horizon League title. Please MVC, don't mess this up. It's pretty obvious who the best two choices are at this point.

Being a hot winning team is nice, but there are a lot of other considerations. Is the team's success built around one person, who could leave or retire (thinking Belmont, Oakland), or one player, or a situation that isn't portable? They have a great facility, which existed before the team went D1, and to some people (like me), seems like the reason they went D1-- because of the facility.

Their budget is about 1/4 below the average budget in the Horizon, $1.5 million less than Bradley, $1.1 million less than Loyola, and about $200k less than the lowest budget in the MVC. In my opinion, we need to move budgets up in this league, not down. NKU was founded in 1968. Their endowment on the small side, and would rank second to last in the MVC, below only Indiana State. They bring little to the academic reputation of the conference, which matters in recruiting and ends up being reflected on others.

NKU has two winning seasons in their six years as a D1 program (the last two), and two of their starters (including their point guard) are seniors. Will that "winning tradition" continue when those players have graduated? How would they handle a setback, a coach leaving with recruits and a whole coaching staff, or two rebuilds in a row that didn't work out--- like a lot of schools with plentiful resources and a large fan base have had to go through? If they got bad, they could be really, really bad for a really long time.
Rambler63
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Just Another Guy » February 25th, 2018, 4:16 pm

UNDfan wrote:
uniguy wrote:Oh, and while I am here, I have to say that UNDfan may be the most hilariously delusional message board poster I have ever seen that I am 100% convinced is not a troll. He has said some outstanding stuff, but I think a dark horse people have glossed over is that he suggested that UND dropped baseball specifically to force the Summit League to expand. It is a hidden gem, but very solid nonetheless.

Montana, Montana St, Idaho and Weber St are coming to the Summit. Almost positive of it. The Montana’s are sick and tired of the slug commuter schools in the Big Sigh not caring about athletics and not having fan bases. ORU, W Illinois, and IPFW will have to find new homes, but the Summit will find ecstacy in its new found partners. It will be a league that will supercede the MVC.

UND’s prez is almost a master at playing a game where he suddenly springs a wonderful surprise. He could have easily saved baseball if he knew the Summit was going to trudge along in the same old way. The Summit needs a baseball team but UND drops it. But if football becomes a conference sport, suddenly it’s not needed. Right now, the Summit is on its deathbed when IPFW leaves and it baseball team goes with it.

Why are you on this board posting this stuff???

No one here cares what schools in Montana and Idaho are going to do. Why do you think anyone here would care?
Just Another Guy
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby bleach » February 25th, 2018, 4:41 pm

While I didn't like the Valpo (or Loyola) addition, it is unfair to say buyers remorse after one season. It is NOT unfair to trash their "arena" since it is a glorified gym.
bleach
All MVC
All MVC

Postby UNDfan » February 25th, 2018, 9:40 pm

Just Another Guy wrote:
UNDfan wrote:
uniguy wrote:Oh, and while I am here, I have to say that UNDfan may be the most hilariously delusional message board poster I have ever seen that I am 100% convinced is not a troll. He has said some outstanding stuff, but I think a dark horse people have glossed over is that he suggested that UND dropped baseball specifically to force the Summit League to expand. It is a hidden gem, but very solid nonetheless.

Montana, Montana St, Idaho and Weber St are coming to the Summit. Almost positive of it. The Montana’s are sick and tired of the slug commuter schools in the Big Sigh not caring about athletics and not having fan bases. ORU, W Illinois, and IPFW will have to find new homes, but the Summit will find ecstacy in its new found partners. It will be a league that will supercede the MVC.

UND’s prez is almost a master at playing a game where he suddenly springs a wonderful surprise. He could have easily saved baseball if he knew the Summit was going to trudge along in the same old way. The Summit needs a baseball team but UND drops it. But if football becomes a conference sport, suddenly it’s not needed. Right now, the Summit is on its deathbed when IPFW leaves and it baseball team goes with it.

Why are you on this board posting this stuff???

No one here cares what schools in Montana and Idaho are going to do. Why do you think anyone here would care?

There are schools listed on the poll that have no interest unless a package Summit deal is made. Face it, a school like Iowa State would consider the MVC a huge drop in prestige. The MVC is not everyone’s panacea like some posters think.
UNDfan
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » February 25th, 2018, 9:46 pm

Stop bashing the harvard of the barren plains!
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby VUGrad1314 » February 25th, 2018, 11:55 pm

Tries to say MVC isn't that great a conference for Summit\Big Sky schools...
Uses Big 12 team as example of a team that would not benefit from an MVC move...

Something doesn't add up here...

Any non-FBS school within shouting distance of the MVC footprint with the exception of the western A10 schools would jump at the chance to join this conference and everyone knows that.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby VUGrad1314 » February 26th, 2018, 12:19 am

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:Make the MVC great again!

It's already on the right track. The goal of this round of expansion is to make the MVC even better.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Dansen » February 26th, 2018, 9:04 am

A lot of people are bringing up a combination of N. Kentucky and Murray State, but something else to consider is the public/private split. Privates probably don't want a 7/5 split
Dansen
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby BCPanther » February 26th, 2018, 11:06 am

Dansen wrote:A lot of people are bringing up a combination of N. Kentucky and Murray State, but something else to consider is the public/private split. Privates probably don't want a 7/5 split

I don't think it's a public/private split as much as a Football/Non-Football split. I think the privates would be fine with a Non-Football public.

Belmont just fits so darn well as they satisfy both criteria, plus I think we'd rather have Nashville than Cincinnati as far as media markets. I wish they'd get their heads out of the sand.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball