Updated 1/6/18: MVC Expansion Poll

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Choose two: Who do you think the MVC should add?

Murray State
47%
Northern Kentucky
13%
UW-Milwaukee
5%
Oakland
0%
South Dakota State
4%
Southeast Missouri State
1%
Belmont
21%
Grand Canyon
2%
UT-Arlington
3%
Denver
5%

Total votes : 277

Re: Updated 1/6/18: MVC Expansion Poll

Postby All-MVC Fan » April 5th, 2018, 5:09 pm

mvfcfan wrote:I'm actually starting to think that the MVC should just stay at 10 for now. If we had 2 more teams in the conference everyone would only get $708K compared to the $850K we're all getting now. And I personally want to keep the round robin scheduling.

A question for those in the know. When a team joins the conference, do they get shares of the NCAA tournament units earned before they were members?
All-MVC Fan
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby AndShock » April 5th, 2018, 5:20 pm

All-MVC Fan wrote:
mvfcfan wrote:I'm actually starting to think that the MVC should just stay at 10 for now. If we had 2 more teams in the conference everyone would only get $708K compared to the $850K we're all getting now. And I personally want to keep the round robin scheduling.

A question for those in the know. When a team joins the conference, do they get shares of the NCAA tournament units earned before they were members?

It’s part of the negotiations.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby VUGrad1314 » April 5th, 2018, 5:50 pm

Right, I'm not sure but I don't think we're getting any of Wichita State's shares. I'm pretty sure we'll share fully in Loyola's from this year though.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby VUGrad1314 » April 5th, 2018, 10:38 pm

I understand this sentiment but football is going to force us to make a move by 2020. Need a team to balance the North Dakota addition to the MVFC. That's Murray State. Then it's either go to 11 for other sports or find a 12th. Hopefully another strong year or two will help us find a good 12th member.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BEARZ77 » April 6th, 2018, 6:04 am

Despite what people would like to think, the problem with finding a quality ADD is that they generally don't benefit that much from moving up to a conference like the MVC at least if the measure is getting into the NCAA Tourney. Nor does a conference like the MVC generally gain bids as a result. If a conference is already an established multi-bid league[ 3+] then yeah it's a benefit like Creighton and WSU were able to do. But a team joining the MVC will not make the MVC jump up a bid or two, and that team if they are used to going to the Tourney fairly often, will see that number drop in all likelihood. There's all kinds of historical precedence to support this. Yes occasionally a team like UNI over years will rise to the upper level of a new conference and benefit from that move. But more often a team getting an invite has been dominant in where they've been, and have been getting fairly regular Tourney appearances, and usually now being in more competition for the same 1-2 bids, their opportunities drop and the conference doesn't jump up in bids because of their addition. That's why a Belmont or a SDSU might hesitate. They fairly regularly are able to garner the one bid in their league; that would become less a standard in the MVC.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TylerDurden » April 6th, 2018, 10:30 am

VUGrad1314 wrote:

I understand this sentiment but football is going to force us to make a move by 2020. Need a team to balance the North Dakota addition to the MVFC. That's Murray State. Then it's either go to 11 for other sports or find a 12th. Hopefully another strong year or two will help us find a good 12th member.

The MVFC is a separate entity from the MVC and operates as such. FCS football is not driving this decision, but rather a passenger. If the MVC decides to add Murray State (or any other school with FCS football) there would be a discussion about where the football team lands. It is not a given that a team would be added to the MVFC.

There also is no need to balance a football schedule.
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

Postby uniftw » April 6th, 2018, 7:32 pm

TylerDurden wrote:
VUGrad1314 wrote:

The MVFC is a separate entity from the MVC and operates as such. FCS football is not driving this decision, but rather a passenger. If the MVC decides to add Murray State (or any other school with FCS football) there would be a discussion about where the football team lands. It is not a given that a team would be added to the MVFC.

Patty V has said the end goal of the MVFC is 12 to create a balanced divisional set up without having officials divisions. UND makes 11. There will be a 12th. There isn’t an option out there for 12 that makes sense outside of Murray State....other than some crazy NMSU scenario that ends with them in the Summit and willing to drop football to the FCS - which they are adamant they won’t be doing
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby IllinoisState » April 6th, 2018, 8:08 pm

uniftw wrote:
TylerDurden wrote:
VUGrad1314 wrote:I understand this sentiment but football is going to force us to make a move by 2020. Need a team to balance the North Dakota addition to the MVFC. That's Murray State. Then it's either go to 11 for other sports or find a 12th. Hopefully another strong year or two will help us find a good 12th member.

Patty V has said the end goal of the MVFC is 12 to create a balanced divisional set up without having officials divisions. UND makes 11. There will be a 12th. There isn’t an option out there for 12 that makes sense outside of Murray State....other than some crazy NMSU scenario that ends with them in the Summit and willing to drop football to the FCS - which they are adamant they won’t be doing

If we could get Eastern Illinois for the MVFC I would take them.
IllinoisState
All MVC
All MVC

Postby VUGrad1314 » April 6th, 2018, 9:29 pm

If the MVC or the MVFCis going to add anybody from the OVC it will be Murray State. EIU does nothing for either league (the OVC probably would tell EIU all or nothing and they aren't good enough for the MVC. As bad as Murray State football has been they make up for it in other sports. Outside of Murray State, nobody from the OVC is worth discussing except Belmont.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby UNDfan » April 6th, 2018, 11:26 pm

Robert Morris out of Pittsburgh wants to get in the Horizon League. They are building a new arena and want to be part of a better league than the NEC. But their football team also needs a place to park in, and the MVFC might be a home.
UNDfan
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball