Updated 1/6/18: MVC Expansion Poll

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Choose two: Who do you think the MVC should add?

Murray State
47%
Northern Kentucky
13%
UW-Milwaukee
5%
Oakland
0%
South Dakota State
4%
Southeast Missouri State
1%
Belmont
21%
Grand Canyon
2%
UT-Arlington
3%
Denver
5%

Total votes : 277

Re: Updated 1/6/18: MVC Expansion Poll

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » July 13th, 2018, 10:03 pm

VUGrad1314 wrote:Murray State's AD has resigned This could be very bad for MVC expansion hopes.

https://twitter.com/TheAdamBWells/statu ... 3D2851.300

OMG the comment section regarding the interim AD's name is golden!. Best thing I've read this week.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby VUGrad1314 » July 13th, 2018, 10:08 pm

RacerJoeD wrote:I think we go if an invitation were extended. But we can’t wait and plan only for something for which we have no control. I know that a vast majority of fans would like to see the change.

I think you'll get your chance soon enough as this 11 team 20 game trend continues to sweep across the country. With OOC opportunities drying up to such a vast degree, the MVC will follow suit. A guaranteed home and home with a program like Murray State is good for everyone.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby IllinoisState » July 13th, 2018, 10:54 pm

VUGrad1314 wrote:Murray State's AD has resigned This could be very bad for MVC expansion hopes.

I think Elgin is worse for expansion hopes than anything.
IllinoisState
All MVC
All MVC

Postby VUGrad1314 » July 18th, 2018, 5:37 am

VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby RacerJoeD » July 18th, 2018, 6:46 am

IllinoisState wrote:

Thats one that we Racers can't control... ;)
RacerJoeD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby VUGrad1314 » July 18th, 2018, 7:23 am

IllinoisState wrote:

While I understand the sentiment behind that post, I think his hand is going to be forced over the next few years. This year and next the ACC and Big 10 will be going to 20 game schedules. The PAC 12 is exploring the idea, as is the Big East if they can find another team. I fully expect them to take one of Dayton or SLU in the very near future. If SLU plays up to expectations this year, the rumors will greatly intensify. Travis Ford is really building something there, and the geographic fit is absolutely perfect as a bridge from Chicago\Milwaukee\Indianapolis to Omaha. Plus, they don't carry the potential market redundancy that Dayton does,(we might be able to target the one the Big East doesn't take).

The shrinking number of P5 games may even force the Big 12 to preemptively raid the AAC of its top programs; and even if it doesn't, and even if the Big East doesn't take another member, the AAC is first in line to help the BE and the B12 to fill out their schedule which only increases the gulf between the MVC\MWC\A10 tier and the P5\BE\AAC tier. This makes it even less likely that we'd even get AAC-level oponents especially if we insist on home and homes. Our best hope in that scenario for more quality games is calling up teams from lower conferences to join our ranks, scheduling alliances with peer conferences, and possibly pod scheduling late in conference play. We should be wearing out the phones with the top teams in lower leagues and the WCC\WAC who need games desperately and are deep enough to provide decent matchups for our members.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » July 19th, 2018, 5:09 am

There isn’t an MVC school Dayton wants to share a conference with except maybe Loyola by virtue of being Jesuit and in Chicago. Dayton wants East Coast exposure, not 9/10 Valley markets. Dayton wouldn’t even look at a 4-bid MVC containing Wichita/Creighton when A10 was 1-bid.

There isn’t a single scenario where Dayton considers MVC. It’s like the Big Ten and Notre Dame. It’s unrealistic and imaginary - not worth wasting cognitive energy over.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby VUGrad1314 » July 19th, 2018, 5:35 am

So really our realistic list for expansion going forward if the goal is to add value to the conference is these six schools:

1. Murray State
2. SLU (unlikely)
3. Belmont (unlikely)
4. NKU
5.Wright State
6. South Dakota State (unlikely without another Dakota school)
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BEARZ77 » July 19th, 2018, 7:55 am

VUGrad1314 wrote:So really our realistic list for expansion going forward if the goal is to add value to the conference is these six schools:

1. Murray State
2. SLU (unlikely)
3. Belmont (unlikely)
4. NKU
5.Wright State

I think Murray and NKU would be good additions; I'd like SLU especially with what Ford is building there, but they would only come this way if desperate because of other moves that leave them in a bad A-10 . I just disagree with the rationale that adding programs like those increases odds for at -large bids . I think it can help scheduling, I think it adds to the quality of competition, I think it broadens our footprint; and those are probably good enough reasons. They don't represent a desperate must as some seem to portray, just a reasonable option that should be considered.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BCPanther » July 19th, 2018, 8:02 am

VUGrad1314 wrote:So really our realistic list for expansion going forward if the goal is to add value to the conference is these six schools:

1. Murray State
2. SLU (unlikely)
3. Belmont (unlikely)
4. NKU
5.Wright State

South Dakota State is not hooked to any of the other Dakotas. They could come alone but I'm not sure there is much incentive for them to move right now. The league tournament is 45 minutes away, they are the dominant program in that league and they are moving the league offices to Sioux Falls as well.

I think competitively they'd love to be with UNI, Illinois State and MoSt and get rid of the NDSU delusion but I don't see the Valley reaching out to them.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball