Updated 1/6/18: MVC Expansion Poll

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Choose two: Who do you think the MVC should add?

Murray State
47%
Northern Kentucky
13%
UW-Milwaukee
5%
Oakland
0%
South Dakota State
4%
Southeast Missouri State
1%
Belmont
21%
Grand Canyon
2%
UT-Arlington
3%
Denver
5%

Total votes : 277

Re: Updated 1/6/18: MVC Expansion Poll

Postby jsaluki080 » July 19th, 2018, 8:11 am

VUGrad1314 wrote:So really our realistic list for expansion going forward if the goal is to add value to the conference is these six schools:

1. Murray State
2. SLU (unlikely)
3. Belmont (unlikely)
4. NKU
5.Wright State
6. South Dakota State (unlikely without another Dakota school)

Yep, pretty much how I see it. Which is why I’m an advocate of going to 11 (Murray) for a bit and waiting a couple of seasons (realignment) to see who #12 should be. Maybe SLU or Belmont would change their mind or maybe the horizon will have a more proven team.

Another idea just for fun, expanding to 14. Take Mrray and the 3 Dakotas. Our football conference and basketball conference would more closely align then. I don’t think I’d actually want this option but I’m having fun thinking about it.
jsaluki080
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby VUGrad1314 » July 19th, 2018, 8:51 am

So SDSU's reasons to stay are somewhat akin to Belmont's it would seem. As for at-large bids, given how close the MVC has been to garnering at-large bids in recent years, and how close Murray State has gotten as well despite being in the OVC, I fail to see how making prudent quality additions can hurt our chances. I still believe firmly in the potential of NKU and of the MVC as a whole. Anything to add to scheduling and quality of competition is good for the league and for us as fans. I still see North Dakota's joining the MVFC in 2020 as the target date for expansion, at which point Murray State will be toured again (and invited) Belmont and SLU will be asked and if both decline I wouldn't be surprised if the visit list is NKU Wright State and South Dakota State with NKU as the likely frontrunner to be added.

If we're doing 14 and Belmont\SLU won't change their minds then we should just take the other 4 on this list. If SDSU wants to remain in the conference they own, we audition Omaha, Oral Roberts,UALR, UIC (maybe) and Milwaukee and pick the best one, or rather, the one that shows the greatest potential. Heavy preference would likely be given to Omaha, ORU, and UALR due to their ability to serve as reasonable partners for Missouri State. Of these I believe ORU would have the inside track as a private school with better basketball history and non-revenue sports. On potential, however, the best play could be Omaha. Though at that point we probably just stay at 12 and have Nku and Murray State be travel partners. Or split up ISUb and Evansville and go with

ISUb\NKU
Evansville\Murray State
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby VUGrad1314 » July 22nd, 2018, 10:39 am

Here are two more reasons why I think expansion could become a real topic this year. The MVC is about to take a big hit to the quality of their schedules. First, the entire conference is losing the benefit of the MWC\MVC Challenge, taking, at minimum, a quality Q2 game with an opponent with some name power from everyone in the conference. I don't know if that change is permanent but it may be. In addition, UNI and Drake are losing the Hy-Vee challenge, another frequently Q2 P5 opportunity. This is a massive blow to MVC schedules. Adding at least Murray State shouldn't break anyone's travel budget and adds the sometimes Q1\frequent Q2 opportunity the challenge once provided and replaces the Hy-Vee with a comparable game. If the MVC is able to restart the challenge or get a new one with say the A10, then this becomes a scheduling win over the low-level D1\non-D1 school the MVC schools would otherwise be playing, which increases our at-large chances.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BCPanther » July 23rd, 2018, 7:32 am

VUGrad1314 wrote:Here are two more reasons why I think expansion could become a real topic this year. The MVC is about to take a big hit to the quality of their schedules. First, the entire conference is losing the benefit of the MWC\MVC Challenge, taking, at minimum, a quality Q2 game with an opponent with some name power from everyone in the conference. I don't know if that change is permanent but it may be. In addition, UNI and Drake are losing the Hy-Vee challenge, another frequently Q2 P5 opportunity. This is a massive blow to MVC schedules. Adding at least Murray State shouldn't break anyone's travel budget and adds the sometimes Q1\frequent Q2 opportunity the challenge once provided and replaces the Hy-Vee with a comparable game. If the MVC is able to restart the challenge or get a new one with say the A10, then this becomes a scheduling win over the low-level D1\non-D1 school the MVC schools would otherwise be playing, which increases our at-large chances.

The Mountain West Challenge is likely coming back in 2020-21. They just had some scheduling issues for 2019-2020 because they are playing their conference tournament a week early that year because of a massive construction trade show taking up most of the rooms in Vegas for their traditional weekend. They are playing two league games during the week that the challenge falls in so that they can meet the requirements of their TV deals in January and February of 2020.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby VUGrad1314 » July 23rd, 2018, 8:17 am

What can\should we do to plug these scheduling holes next year? Should we start an agreement with another conference and then have two challenge agreements going forward?
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » July 23rd, 2018, 1:16 pm

VUGrad1314 wrote:What can\should we do to plug these scheduling holes next year? Should we start an agreement with another conference and then have two challenge agreements going forward?

That's would be amazing. But, knowing the MVC each team will just schedule a low major to replace the game.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby VUGrad1314 » July 25th, 2018, 4:47 am

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status ... 5480715264

This move likely increases the likelihood that the BE stays at 10 teams. It's also probably good news for the stability of the AAC in the short term, but not their scheduling as these leagues now have less slots to schedule them with two challenges going. For the MVC, this helps our expansion hopes because SLU might finally see how unlikely the BE is and opt to save some money on travel in a comparable league. As for scheduling I hope this speeds up the impetus to get another challenge going (with the AAC or A10 preferably). Regardless we should still be considering adding Murray State and going to the 11\20 format.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BearsCountry » July 26th, 2018, 10:10 am

BCPanther wrote:
VUGrad1314 wrote:So really our realistic list for expansion going forward if the goal is to add value to the conference is these six schools:

1. Murray State
2. SLU (unlikely)
3. Belmont (unlikely)
4. NKU
5.Wright State
6. South Dakota State (unlikely without another Dakota school)

South Dakota State is not hooked to any of the other Dakotas. They could come alone but I'm not sure there is much incentive for them to move right now. The league tournament is 45 minutes away, they are the dominant program in that league and they are moving the league offices to Sioux Falls as well.

I think competitively they'd love to be with UNI, Illinois State and MoSt and get rid of the NDSU delusion but I don't see the Valley reaching out to them.

Should have added SDSU and NDSU around 2010. MVC made a mistake not taking both of them.
BearsCountry
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » July 26th, 2018, 7:05 pm

UIC hosting 3 MVC teams - Loyola, Bradley, & Illinois State.

The Flames entered the final weekend controlling their destiny to win the Horizon but got swept by NKU/WSU.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby VUGrad1314 » July 26th, 2018, 7:34 pm

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:UIC hosting 3 MVC teams - Loyola, Bradley, & Illinois State.

The Flames entered the final weekend controlling their destiny to win the Horizon but got swept by NKU/WSU.

Are you suggesting that UIC is being or should be auditioned as our #12? I'd be very surprised to see the MVC take a third team in the Chicago market especially a commuter public beholden to another university system that will in no wise be completely invested in fully maximizing that program's potential, lest it begin to upstage the flagship school downstate. I have the same big objection with adding Milwaukee. If we're going after teams from the Horizon it should be

1. NKU
2. Wright State

Big gap

3. Oakland
4. UDM (flip these or even more UDM further up the list if they get consistently good)

I would consider UIC and Milwaukee after the first two though.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball