2018 MVC - Week 4

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: 2018 MVC - Week 4

Postby glm38 » January 17th, 2018, 10:22 pm

The Bears Valpo game was entertaining. I thought Valpo was taking control. We were in an offensive funk then Alize put us on his back in the second half and led the Bears to a win. 24 points and 17 boards. He's amazing.

Valpo has a good team and we are lucky to have swept them this year.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Blers » January 17th, 2018, 11:52 pm

Ramblers improve to 4-0 in conference with Custer playing. Valpo's size will make for a tough match up moving forward.

Krutwig is really beginning to assert himself in the paint. Last two games:
21 points, 13 boards
19 points, 9 boards

I think Pickford will likely win freshmen of the year, but Krutwig's play in the post has really blown me away and could give him a run.
Blers
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BCPanther » January 18th, 2018, 8:18 am

Still can't figure out why UNI wasn't in big time on Krutwig. A big that you'll eventually run the offense through and kills you with good footwork. He's the prototypical Ben Jacobson big AND he went to the same high school as Johnny Moran!
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Blers » January 18th, 2018, 10:09 am

BCPanther wrote:Still can't figure out why UNI wasn't in big time on Krutwig. A big that you'll eventually run the offense through and kills you with good footwork. He's the prototypical Ben Jacobson big AND he went to the same high school as Johnny Moran!

He really is a classic UNI post, not overly athletic but super mature as a player. Moser was on him for a full two years and Krutwig said the loyalty really sold him. Really a big get for us.
Blers
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Rambler63 » January 18th, 2018, 3:04 pm

There were a lot of teams on Krutwig. But I think Loyola knows how to sell the opportunity a little better now.

Loyola went through a similar process with Sean O'Mara, who committed to Xavier. He was a suburban kid, about the same height and build, and almost as much recruiting hype as Krutwig. It got down to Loyola and Xavier, and O'Mara went with X. I guess being on a tournament team was important for him, at least more important than staying in the area. However, he didn't play very much because he was behind Matt Stainbrook for his first two years; he averaged only 7 mpg as a sophomore. Even in his junior year he only played 13 minutes per game because they brought in a graduate transfer. As a senior this year, he's coming off the bench behind two underclassmen.

In the meantime, Loyola has dramatically improved as a program. The deep gulf isn't quite as enormous as it was in 2014. The sales pitch comes down to: Do you want to sit on the bench at a big program and watch them bring in guys because they don't trust you to handle playing time, or do you want to start as a freshman for a team that was picked for the top half of the league in a top mid-major conference? Also, there's the example of Doyle and Custer who transferred from P5 programs.

I don't know for sure if that's what they did, but if I were talking with a recruit about the advantages of going with Loyola, I might point that out.
Rambler63
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby isumvc1 » January 20th, 2018, 2:58 pm

Sycamores with an 84-54 win over Illinois State in Terre Haute today, was surprised by the difference, at one point it was a 40 point lead for the Sycamores.
isumvc1
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby AndShock » January 20th, 2018, 4:54 pm

Fun atmosphere in Des Moines. Not what I expected.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mvfcfan » January 20th, 2018, 4:55 pm

isumvc1 wrote:Sycamores with an 84-54 win over Illinois State in Terre Haute today, was surprised by the difference, at one point it was a 40 point lead for the Sycamores.

Yeah ISU totally crushed ILST today. It's a great day to be a Sycamore fan! I loved how we had three fast break dunks in a row. Couldn't have happened against a better team.
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby musiccitybulldog » January 20th, 2018, 5:04 pm

Drake wins 61-58 over Mo State. Drake out rebounds MSU 43-40. Bulldogs holding onto title run. Big Defensive game by the Bulldogs holding Alize Johnson to 2 points. Reed Timmer with 24 points for Drake. Mo State led by Dixon and Rhodes with 15.
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DUBulldog » January 20th, 2018, 6:22 pm

If you had told me Drake would go 3-26 from 3 and still win, I would have bet a lot of money against you. Unbelievable gut check for the Bulldogs.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball