2018 MVC - Week 4

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: 2018 MVC - Week 4

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » January 22nd, 2018, 9:52 am

BCPanther wrote:We suck. The top half and Thursday streak is over. Go ahead and mark us down for the 8/9 game on Thursday night.

Can't wait until this senior group is gone.

UNI's two focal seniors have gotta be the most disappointing seniors in this league in a long time. Wasn't this Koch supposed to be better than the other 2?

Adding AJ Green to underclassmen Brown/McCloud/Pickford/Phyfe for a starting 5 the next 2 years looks promising for the Panthers.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BCPanther » January 22nd, 2018, 10:08 am

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:
BCPanther wrote:We suck. The top half and Thursday streak is over. Go ahead and mark us down for the 8/9 game on Thursday night.

Can't wait until this senior group is gone.

UNI's two focal seniors have gotta be the most disappointing seniors in this league in a long time. Wasn't this Koch supposed to be better than the other 2?

Adding AJ Green to underclassmen Brown/McCloud/Pickford/Phyfe for a starting 5 the next 2 years looks promising for the Panthers.

Adam said from the beginning of his time at UNI that Bennett was the most naturally skilled of the Kochs. The game just came naturally to him and he was going to be a dominant low post player because he was going to be 3 inches taller than Adam and Jake. If he had Adam's desire, he'd have been Player of the Year.

The future is bright. That starting 5 is as good as anybody in the league. Needs to go the JUCO route and get a big body rebounder. Also needs to find a point guard so that Haldeman doesn't have to play as much. Haldeman is a nice player at 15 minutes, he's a liablity at 25-30.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby pafan » January 22nd, 2018, 10:09 am

Prediction: The two longest serving coaches in the valley face off in a play-in-game, in year 11. Thursday night Purple Party in StL.

(I guess that means I predict Valpo finishes last?)
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Postby jackwagon » January 22nd, 2018, 12:42 pm

Am I the only one that thinks Mccloud has been a huge disappointment? He was talked up by UNI fans prior to last season and I took it as a typical FR PG going through rough patches. I expected him to make big leaps this season and haven't seen it. Compare him to Jordan Barnes and his growth, Dru Smith at UE, or even the steady improvement of Darrell Brown and you have to wonder what type of player he will become.I think he is just as much to blame for their lack of success.

Green looks to be the real deal and Pickford is a stat sheet stuffer. Brown is a nice defender who is limited on offense. Beyond that I don't see a ton to get excited about. To lay all of UNI's problems at the foot of a guy who is averaging 12.5 points 6 rebounds and shooting 55% from the field and 80% from the line is kind of crazy.
jackwagon
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BCPanther » January 23rd, 2018, 11:50 am

jackwagon wrote:Am I the only one that thinks Mccloud has been a huge disappointment? He was talked up by UNI fans prior to last season and I took it as a typical FR PG going through rough patches. I expected him to make big leaps this season and haven't seen it. Compare him to Jordan Barnes and his growth, Dru Smith at UE, or even the steady improvement of Darrell Brown and you have to wonder what type of player he will become.I think he is just as much to blame for their lack of success.

Green looks to be the real deal and Pickford is a stat sheet stuffer. Brown is a nice defender who is limited on offense. Beyond that I don't see a ton to get excited about. To lay all of UNI's problems at the foot of a guy who is averaging 12.5 points 6 rebounds and shooting 55% from the field and 80% from the line is kind of crazy.

Averages get you in trouble

Here are the individual games that give you those numbers--
25 (vs DIII Wartburg)
30 (vs UNLV and Lottery Pick Brandon McCoy)
26 (vs Xavier in 23 minutes)
2 (vs Valpo on the night he was benched)

Combine that with a career A:TO of 1:4.2 and you have the most maddeningly inconsistent and frustrating player who looks like he doesn't want to be anywhere near a basketball half the time. Addition by subtraction next year.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby jackwagon » January 23rd, 2018, 1:26 pm

What's your point? I could play that game too. Mccloud has not scored over 7 points since December 16th and only accomplished that one time. I've seen UNI several times and Koch is wildly inconsistent. My point was it is not like the rest of the team is pulling their weight and just needs the big man to be consistent to win. When he leaves does that really make UNI any closer to being a good team? Unless they find some solid front court players to go with Pickford and another guard to go with Green i'm not so sure. I'd take Loyola, ISUR, ISUB, SIU, and Bradley roster wise over them next season.
jackwagon
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BradleyFan71 » January 23rd, 2018, 8:28 pm

Bradley leading the Bears 47-30 with 10:45 remaining.
BradleyFan71
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Majik45 » January 23rd, 2018, 8:38 pm

Bradley goes on 16-0 run early in 2nd half to take control of the game. Bradley is really good at home. I don't know why we suck on road so bad.

Johnson sat most of 1st half as he picked up 3rd foul with 8 minutes to go in the half.

Darryl Brown has 20 points and 7 assists with 7 minutes left
Majik45
All MVC
All MVC

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball