MVC coaches and the coaching carousel

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC coaches and the coaching carousel

Postby BCPanther » January 25th, 2018, 10:29 am

Redbirds4Life wrote:
bufan42 wrote:Lusk is gone, that’s it.

Hinson is more than safe, and in fact, is doing a good job this year. They will have a big season next year.

Paul Lusk has wasted a talented team, Missouri State needs to move on today and see if an assistant can get the team to their potential before St. Louis.

Until Hinson shows he can do anything of substance, I won't believe that he actually can.

Lusk - Gone
Simmons - Gone
Lansing - Seat is getting warmer, I would think? But who knows?
Hinson - He should get canned, but he has more lives than a cat

Wardle - Safe
Jacobson - Safe
Muller - Safe
Moser - Safe
Lottich - Safe
Medved - Safe

This looks about right.

Jacobson, Muller, Wardle, Medved and Lottich are as safe as safe can be. Porter is pretty close to that but I'm not sure what would happen if there was a meltdown down the stretch.

Lansing brought in a convicted rapist to talk to his team about making good choices in life, hasn't had much success without Jake Odum and tends to wear down as the year goes on. They are, however, paying him peanuts and I can't imagine they'll pay a buyout no matter how small it is.

Next year is the line in the sand year for Barry. He's got everthing back except Smithpeters, a well thought of recruiting class and may have the most experienced team in all of college basketball. If he can't make a run at a title, its time to find someone else and send Barry off to have what could be a pretty successful TV career. We know money is a concern at SIU and I'm not sure what his buyout looks like.

I don't think Evansville is going to fire Marty. You've lived with it for this long. You own it at this point. If 11 years without an NCAA is fine, why not 15 or 20?

Paul Lusk should be gone today. Try an assistant and hope you get the bounce Drake got last year for the stretch run. You have, by far and away, the best player and the most talented roster in the league. How many games has he lost in the past 3 years that he had no business losing? The problem is that if you fire Lusk, you have to fire your AD as well. Does Clif Smart have the stomach for that?
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby ACECARD » January 25th, 2018, 10:51 am

BCPanther wrote:
Redbirds4Life wrote:
bufan42 wrote:

I don't think Evansville is going to fire Marty. You've lived with it for this long. You own it at this point. If 11 years without an NCAA is fine, why not 15 or 20?

I have always thought that when Blake graduates this year, they would get rid of Marty. But now I am not so sure. With the focus on finding a new President I think the basketball program will continue to be an afterthought, and we will continue down the path to oblivion.
ACECARD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Lusuperfan1 » January 25th, 2018, 11:35 am

BCPanther wrote:
Redbirds4Life wrote:

Hinson is more than safe, and in fact, is doing a good job this year. They will have a big season next year.

Paul Lusk has wasted a talented team, Missouri State needs to move on today and see if an assistant can get the team to their potential before St. Louis.

Until Hinson shows he can do anything of substance, I won't believe that he actually can.

Lusk - Gone
Simmons - Gone
Lansing - Seat is getting warmer, I would think? But who knows?
Hinson - He should get canned, but he has more lives than a cat

Wardle - Safe
Jacobson - Safe
Muller - Safe
Moser - Safe
Lottich - Safe
Medved - Safe

This looks about right.

Jacobson, Muller, Wardle, Medved and Lottich are as safe as safe can be. Porter is pretty close to that but I'm not sure what would happen if there was a meltdown down the stretch.

Porter got a 4 year contract extension after last season, despite losing 7 of the last 9 games. A lot of LU fans are feeling really good about where we are as a program, especially after the thorough dismantling of Drake on the road last night. A similar meltdown would probably be nightmareish. I doubt they fire him, but even coming into this season, there were a lot of us expecting this senior class + Custer and Townes (who will at least be eligible to leave as grad transfers) to be his best shot at a run.

Honestly, I think whatever coach can lead his team to the NCAAs this year, given all the talent and parity in the conference, will get serious looks at a bigger job. Even if Jacobson is basically the only coach in the conference whose resume actually warrants those looks.
Lusuperfan1
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby underdawg » January 25th, 2018, 3:50 pm

This--maybe if they collapse next year. But five starters back ( Cook who scored 25 points last night) and throw in preseason All-MVC Bol back it's hard to see how he's not back at least next year---unless you read Saluki Nation of course :lol:
underdawg
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » January 25th, 2018, 4:00 pm

underdawg wrote:

This--maybe if they collapse next year. But five starters back ( Cook who scored 25 points last night) and throw in preseason All-MVC Bol back it's hard to see how he's not back at least next year---unless you read Saluki Nation of course :lol:

That place is going to be Hiroshima if their sources are wrong :lol:
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » January 25th, 2018, 8:25 pm

[/quote]

Honestly, I think whatever coach can lead his team to the NCAAs this year, given all the talent and parity in the conference, will get serious looks at a bigger job. Even if Jacobson is basically the only coach in the conference whose resume actually warrants those looks.[/quote]

I think if Paul Lusk led my Bears to the big dance i really don't think he would get any looks from schools in higher conferences. It would be such a fluke and I think other schools would realize that based on his overall record and game films. The man simply CAN NOT COACH.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Lusuperfan1 » January 25th, 2018, 9:58 pm

glm38 wrote:
Honestly, I think whatever coach can lead his team to the NCAAs this year, given all the talent and parity in the conference, will get serious looks at a bigger job. Even if Jacobson is basically the only coach in the conference whose resume actually warrants those looks.

I think if Paul Lusk led my Bears to the big dance i really don't think he would get any looks from schools in higher conferences. It would be such a fluke and I think other schools would realize that based on his overall record and game films. The man simply CAN NOT COACH.

Not gonna lie: I'm pretty surprised how much Mo State is dropping off as of late, so I'm starting to not like their chances in St. Louis even if I thought they were preseason favorites.

That said, while you outline a really logical way of conducting a coaching search, there are a lot more illogical ADs out there who see a tournament appearance and pounce. His recruiting and other agent/business gossip and buzz like the fact that he's from Painter's tree in a season where Purdue is a top 5 team in the country will allow ADs to talk themselves into hiring Lusk. That usually trumps detailed and thorough searches.

This is all moot though if they're a 6 seed and get bounced on Friday though
Lusuperfan1
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby BEARZ77 » January 27th, 2018, 9:00 am

My guess is Lusk ends up at Purdue/MU/ KSU as an assistant following this year. If he's smart he chooses that course, makes a great living as a decent assistant at a major program, and never has to be so exposed for his limitations again.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » January 27th, 2018, 10:20 am

BEARZ77 wrote:My guess is Lusk ends up at Purdue/MU/ KSU as an assistant following this year. If he's smart he chooses that course, makes a great living as a decent assistant at a major program, and never has to be so exposed for his limitations again.

I sincerely hope that's what happens (this year). By all accounts he was a good assistant HC. To me Lusk is the Peter principal personified.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby municup14 » January 30th, 2018, 5:20 am

I have always said it,Lusk is not a good coach.All kind of talent and they
are what 500 in the conference.Always been a big Hinson fan.Got screwed
ai Mo. St.
Marty ball,i dont think our AD has the balls to fire him.
But with us having a new president coming in they might give him one more year and then start making changes in all the sports at U of E. Every athletic team we have is horrible :
municup14
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball