2018 MVC - Week 5

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: 2018 MVC - Week 5

Postby SalukiHoops » January 27th, 2018, 8:14 pm

Redbirds4Life wrote:Does Paul Lusk make it through the season?


I believe that he does. He just won't return for the next one.
SalukiHoops
User avatar
SalukiHoops
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer
 
Posts: 65
Joined: January 8th, 2017, 10:52 pm
Location: West Frankfort, IL

Re: 2018 MVC - Week 5

Sponsor

Sponsor
 

Re: 2018 MVC - Week 5

Postby musiccitybulldog » January 27th, 2018, 8:26 pm

Exciting game at Evansville. I always like attending games at the Ford Center. Great seats, leg room, really clean rest rooms, food nearby. I see they are hosting the OVC tournament. When I saw the ad for the OVC I was thinking I wish the MVC was there. Nice Place.

If the Bulldogs had pressed a few minutes earlier possibly different outcome. Good game all the same.

They were blowing the whistles a bunch today, almost seemed at times they couldn't decide on a reason.
musiccitybulldog
All MVC
All MVC
 
Posts: 856
Joined: August 4th, 2010, 2:53 pm

Re: 2018 MVC - Week 5

Postby mvcfan31 » January 27th, 2018, 9:04 pm

I think the size of the ford center is what the valley needs to look at for the conference tournament. Scott Trade is a touch to big for the current fan bases. Find a place that holds 12-14 K. I think that would help the atmosphere.

I know the city of Evansville was really trying to get the first four games in the NCAA Tournament away from Dayton.

As for the game. You are right. The Aces are just god awful against the press. Especially with Boo Gibson injured again.

musiccitybulldog wrote:Exciting game at Evansville. I always like attending games at the Ford Center. Great seats, leg room, really clean rest rooms, food nearby. I see they are hosting the OVC tournament. When I saw the ad for the OVC I was thinking I wish the MVC was there. Nice Place.

If the Bulldogs had pressed a few minutes earlier possibly different outcome. Good game all the same.

They were blowing the whistles a bunch today, almost seemed at times they couldn't decide on a reason.
mvcfan31
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer
 
Posts: 53
Joined: January 6th, 2013, 12:10 pm

Re: 2018 MVC - Week 5

Postby pafan » January 27th, 2018, 9:50 pm

musiccitybulldog wrote:Exciting game at Evansville. I always like attending games at the Ford Center. Great seats, leg room, really clean rest rooms, food nearby. I see they are hosting the OVC tournament. When I saw the ad for the OVC I was thinking I wish the MVC was there. Nice Place.


Thanks. Sometimes when your program is in the dumps, it is easy to think everything is awful, even the things that are good.

mvcfan31 wrote:I think the size of the ford center is what the valley needs to look at for the conference tournament. Scott Trade is a touch to big for the current fan bases. Find a place that holds 12-14 K. I think that would help the atmosphere.

I agree with you. Just not a lot of arenas that fit that bill and are even a little bit centrally located, unless you think the MVC would even consider renting Chaifetz from SLU. Even then, we'd still be stuck in StL.


As for the game. You are right. The Aces are just god awful against the press. Especially with Boo Gibson injured again.

Aces are awful against the press for the 11th consecutive year. I'm always surprised how few opposing coaches put "token pressure through the game" in their game plan.
Owner - PurpleAcesFans.com
User avatar
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member
 
Posts: 1568
Joined: August 10th, 2010, 9:03 am
Location: Ford Center

Re: 2018 MVC - Week 5

Postby mvfcfan » January 28th, 2018, 8:27 am

I actually think attendance will go up at SL this year since it is so wide open. I'm going to Saturday and Sunday (no matter who's playing) again this year, like I did last year. If Wichita State was still in the league there's a good chance that I wouldn't be going back this year.
mvfcfan
MVC starter
MVC starter
 
Posts: 233
Joined: March 1st, 2016, 6:05 am

Re: 2018 MVC - Week 5

Postby bufan42 » January 28th, 2018, 10:29 am

mvfcfan wrote:I actually think attendance will go up at SL this year since it is so wide open. I'm going to Saturday and Sunday (no matter who's playing) again this year, like I did last year. If Wichita State was still in the league there's a good chance that I wouldn't be going back this year.


I agree with this in principal but I think the Valley made a huge attendance mistake moving this tournament years ago. The results have never probably shown negatively due to how strong the valley was right when the move was made and how great Wichita and creighton won and drew after that.

Point is, with 8 teams that could all probably win it, but no dominant team, will fans of these schools commit to taking Friday off work to head to the games?

I’d bet a lot they would come on Saturday if they were garunteed they would be playing a weekend game. Then once you’re there on Saturday, why not stay and watch 2 on Sunday.

But tv talks and I guess cbs pod more than espn2 did
bufan42
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer
 
Posts: 27
Joined: November 18th, 2014, 9:33 am

Re: 2018 MVC - Week 5

Postby ptownbraves » January 28th, 2018, 11:47 am

bufan42 wrote:
mvfcfan wrote:I actually think attendance will go up at SL this year since it is so wide open. I'm going to Saturday and Sunday (no matter who's playing) again this year, like I did last year. If Wichita State was still in the league there's a good chance that I wouldn't be going back this year.


I agree with this in principal but I think the Valley made a huge attendance mistake moving this tournament years ago. The results have never probably shown negatively due to how strong the valley was right when the move was made and how great Wichita and creighton won and drew after that.

Point is, with 8 teams that could all probably win it, but no dominant team, will fans of these schools commit to taking Friday off work to head to the games?

I’d bet a lot they would come on Saturday if they were garunteed they would be playing a weekend game. Then once you’re there on Saturday, why not stay and watch 2 on Sunday.

But tv talks and I guess cbs pod more than espn2 did


The move to St. Louis was made almost 30 years ago and it's been one of the better college basketball tournaments in the country. I remember those SIU and Missouri State fanbases packing it in back when they were good 10-20 years ago. In the 2000s, Creighton fans would overrun the city, and then Wichita fans took over once they started to dominate with Marshall. Illinois State and Bradley had a few good years where they brought in a decent number of fans. I'm pretty sure WSU would sell out their all-session allotment every year. I thought that was 4000, plus you'd have at least another 1000 or so that would just drive up and buy tickets. Has Valpo even gotten 4000 fans at a home game this year?

It is good for the conference that the tournament is up for grabs this year, but attendance is going to be way down this year and the Scottrade will be a shell of what it was. The SEC tournament is the next weekend at Scottrade, so maybe the walk-up or local fans you'd normally get are saving their cash to see Mizzou play.
User avatar
ptownbraves
MVC starter
MVC starter
 
Posts: 333
Joined: December 22nd, 2011, 8:05 pm

Re: 2018 MVC - Week 5

Postby bleach » January 28th, 2018, 2:02 pm

In the early days of the tourney in St Louis, CU and WSU were barely a factor in attendance. SIU was the big crowd with MSU, ISUR, and BU bringing big contingents too.
bleach
All MVC
All MVC
 
Posts: 714
Joined: January 8th, 2011, 9:26 am
Location: SW Missouri

Re: 2018 MVC - Week 5

Postby musiccitybulldog » January 28th, 2018, 2:09 pm

I can't really recall ticket prices back then but for now (man&wife) three nights in one of the downtown hotels and two ticket books, you will be close to $1000. That's with out gas, parking, meals, refreshments.
I enjoy seeing friends and the comradery at the tournament. I would say you have to be a pretty devoted fan.
The thing I notice is the student sections have really been down in recent times (not counting WSU).
My guess this year if your tickets aren't the greatest you could probably find a better view of the game easily.
For us we always go and watch the games so having it in St. Louis for the vacation factor has almost no value.
musiccitybulldog
All MVC
All MVC
 
Posts: 856
Joined: August 4th, 2010, 2:53 pm

Re: 2018 MVC - Week 5

Postby bleach » January 28th, 2018, 3:02 pm

20 years ago tickets were $20/session and hotel rooms $100/night. I was staying out of downtown and buying all session tickets. Never been to a more fun time than the old Arena tourneys or the early Kiel arena years.

Once crowds grew to near capacity, the fun seemed to wane (might have something to do with the Bears waning success). It seems much more expensive with less access.
bleach
All MVC
All MVC
 
Posts: 714
Joined: January 8th, 2011, 9:26 am
Location: SW Missouri

Re: 2018 MVC - Week 5

Postby ptownbraves » January 28th, 2018, 3:24 pm

Bradley joins the 2nd place fray, taking down Indiana State for their 1st road win of the season, 81-73.
User avatar
ptownbraves
MVC starter
MVC starter
 
Posts: 333
Joined: December 22nd, 2011, 8:05 pm

Re: 2018 MVC - Week 5

Postby bufan42 » January 28th, 2018, 8:28 pm

ptownbraves wrote:
bufan42 wrote:
mvfcfan wrote:I actually think attendance will go up at SL this year since it is so wide open. I'm going to Saturday and Sunday (no matter who's playing) again this year, like I did last year. If Wichita State was still in the league there's a good chance that I wouldn't be going back this year.


I agree with this in principal but I think the Valley made a huge attendance mistake moving this tournament years ago. The results have never probably shown negatively due to how strong the valley was right when the move was made and how great Wichita and creighton won and drew after that.

Point is, with 8 teams that could all probably win it, but no dominant team, will fans of these schools commit to taking Friday off work to head to the games?

I’d bet a lot they would come on Saturday if they were garunteed they would be playing a weekend game. Then once you’re there on Saturday, why not stay and watch 2 on Sunday.

But tv talks and I guess cbs pod more than espn2 did


The move to St. Louis was made almost 30 years ago and it's been one of the better college basketball tournaments in the country. I remember those SIU and Missouri State fanbases packing it in back when they were good 10-20 years ago. In the 2000s, Creighton fans would overrun the city, and then Wichita fans took over once they started to dominate with Marshall. Illinois State and Bradley had a few good years where they brought in a decent number of fans. I'm pretty sure WSU would sell out their all-session allotment every year. I thought that was 4000, plus you'd have at least another 1000 or so that would just drive up and buy tickets. Has Valpo even gotten 4000 fans at a home game this year?

It is good for the conference that the tournament is up for grabs this year, but attendance is going to be way down this year and the Scottrade will be a shell of what it was. The SEC tournament is the next weekend at Scottrade, so maybe the walk-up or local fans you'd normally get are saving their cash to see Mizzou play.


I wasn’t referring to the move to STL.

I was referring to the move of the quarter finals
Now being on Friday and not Saturday.

That was about 13 - 15 years ago. I remember when there were papers in the restroom calling jim les “mr Friday night) play-in games were then on Friday and not Thursday.
bufan42
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer
 
Posts: 27
Joined: November 18th, 2014, 9:33 am

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dabirds0987 and 11 guests