2018 Arch Madness Seeding Probabilities

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: 2018 Arch Madness Seeding Probabilities

Postby pafan » February 15th, 2018, 10:30 am

We've had Drake night for 9 consecutive years.

The 10th year (2008) was Keno's year at Drake, seeding them first, and Bradley was seeded 5th that year. So there's your answer.
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby ThisIsTheLineup » February 15th, 2018, 11:32 am

BuBrave2006 wrote:A Thursday potentially without Drake or Bradley? How long has that been?

2010....it's been a while!
2017-2018 MVC Regular Season Pick ‘em Champ
Go You Redbirds!
ThisIsTheLineup
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby DrakeFanInSt.Louis » February 15th, 2018, 11:51 am

2010? I wish....

In 2010, Drake was 7-9 at the end of regular conference play. They were seeded #8 at the MVC tournament.

In 2012, Drake was 9-9 tied for 3rd at the end of regular conference play and STILL managed to play on Drake night. There were 5 teams that finished 9-9 that season, and Drake lost all of the tie-breakers.

2008 is the last time Drake avoided Drake night...hence the name "Drake night."

Not so fun fact, Drake also played on Drake night in '07, '06, and '05.
DrakeFanInSt.Louis
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby BuBrave2006 » February 15th, 2018, 2:29 pm

Also going to be interesting if Drake can sustain their Friday status next season after losing their five best guards.
BuBrave2006
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Kyle@MOState » February 15th, 2018, 2:33 pm

After getting all of our hopes up this season being picked first, and still having to worry about playing on Drake night is disappointing. I do however think that as long as you aren't trying to win 4 games in 4 days, all the teams have a puncher's chance. It should be a good one, I am looking forward to it.
Kyle@MOState
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Hrtnfldhse » February 15th, 2018, 3:41 pm

Kyle@MOState wrote:After getting all of our hopes up this season being picked first, and still having to worry about playing on Drake night is disappointing. I do however think that as long as you aren't trying to win 4 games in 4 days, all the teams have a puncher's chance. It should be a good one, I am looking forward to it.

I even think a team could pull off the 4 in 4 this year. It's that close. Should be a fun tourney
Hrtnfldhse
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Kyle@MOState » February 15th, 2018, 3:58 pm

Hrtnfldhse wrote:
Kyle@MOState wrote:After getting all of our hopes up this season being picked first, and still having to worry about playing on Drake night is disappointing. I do however think that as long as you aren't trying to win 4 games in 4 days, all the teams have a puncher's chance. It should be a good one, I am looking forward to it.

I even think a team could pull off the 4 in 4 this year. It's that close. Should be a fun tourney

If it were to happen any year, this would be the year for it to happen. I just think the physical toll of playing back to back to back to back is a bit too much for any team tackle... I guess it has happened in other leagues, why not the MVC?
Kyle@MOState
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Majik45 » February 15th, 2018, 4:25 pm

Only 1 team coming out of the play-in games has ever won a 2nd game in the MVC tournament (Bradley in 1998 as the 7 seed beating #2 Creighton). I think the play-in game has been around for like 20 years, so that makes the play-in teams like 1-39 vs. the respective #1 or #2 seeds all time. The odds of a play-in team winning 2 more games after they upset a top seed are slim and none. I would put a lot of money on a 7-10 seed never winning the MVC tournament.

It's like the #16 seeds playing #1 seeds in the NCAA tournament.
Majik45
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BCPanther » February 15th, 2018, 4:27 pm

Kyle@MOState wrote:
Hrtnfldhse wrote:

If it were to happen any year, this would be the year for it to happen. I just think the physical toll of playing back to back to back to back is a bit too much for any team tackle... I guess it has happened in other leagues, why not the MVC?

It happens in shitty low major leagues. The coaching and scouting is too good for it to happen in the Valley. A Thursday team has exactly ONE win on Friday, ever. I won't say impossible but the chances of it happening are so low we shouldn't be wasting breath on it
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » February 15th, 2018, 4:58 pm

Majik45 wrote:Only 1 team coming out of the play-in games has ever won a 2nd game in the MVC tournament (Bradley in 1998 as the 7 seed beating #2 Creighton). I think the play-in game has been around for like 20 years, so that makes the play-in teams like 1-39 vs. the respective #1 or #2 seeds all time. The odds of a play-in team winning 2 more games after they upset a top seed are slim and none. I would put a lot of money on a 7-10 seed never winning the MVC tournament.

It's like the #16 seeds playing #1 seeds in the NCAA tournament.

Connecticut won 5 games in 5 days once I believe or was it Syracuse?
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball