2018 MVC - Week 6

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: 2018 MVC - Week 6

Postby DirtyDale » February 4th, 2018, 8:53 am

James_SIU wrote:Not for all of us. I've liked Barry from day one and I don't want him to go anywhere unless we become a back to back Thursday night kind of team.

Nice to see you enjoy mediocrity. If I was a fan of an opposing Valley team I would love for Barry to stay, also. He doesn’t pose a real threat to assemble and/or coach an NCAA tourney quality team.
Last edited by DirtyDale on February 4th, 2018, 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
DirtyDale
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » February 4th, 2018, 9:27 am

DirtyDale wrote:
James_SIU wrote:Not for all of us. I've liked Barry from day one and I don't want him to go anywhere unless we become a back to back Thursday night kind of team.

Nice to see you enjoy mediocrity. If I was a fan of an opposing Valley team I would for Barry to stay, also. He doesn’t pose a real threat to assemble and/or coach an NCAA tourney quality team.

Bol, Pippin, McGill, Lloyd, Fletcher, etc just may be an ncaa quality team. I fully expect the MVC to be a two bid league next season with ISU and SIU both being around 27 wins.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby pafan » February 4th, 2018, 10:07 am

TSmithBJJ wrote:Please find my post where I stated that I didnt like Barry. I've always liked him... You cant hate a guy who speaks emotionally because it shows his passion. He cares waaay more about SIU and their success than his own reputation. Sorry about the 5-7 conf record buddy, but the year isnt over yet!

I wasn't speaking about you specifically. But if there were "Barry! Barry!" chants at the Arena, the pitchforks that were out last March must have been largely put away.

I've also been a Barry Hinson fan for many years.
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Postby E-Villan » February 4th, 2018, 11:00 am

pafan wrote:
TSmithBJJ wrote:Please find my post where I stated that I didnt like Barry. I've always liked him... You cant hate a guy who speaks emotionally because it shows his passion. He cares waaay more about SIU and their success than his own reputation. Sorry about the 5-7 conf record buddy, but the year isnt over yet!

I wasn't speaking about you specifically. But if there were "Barry! Barry!" chants at the Arena, the pitchforks that were out last March must have been largely put away.

No kidding, lighten up..he said "SIU Fans" not TSmith. I don't know what the overall consensus in Carbondale is for Barry, but there is a "Fire Barry" thread on your message board that is clicking along at 433 pages. So yes, it is fair to say SIU fans have been showing disfavor with Barry.

Put me in the pro-Barry camp as well. I have said for years he is exactly the type of coach we need in Evansville. Small school that needs its former large fan base back. Proud of his program, entertaining as hell, and seems willing to go anywhere and anytime to speak about SIU. I can tell you an entitled, stubborn introvert, who feels above speaking to groups and students hasn't been working.
E-Villan
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby TSmithBJJ » February 4th, 2018, 11:54 am

E-Villan wrote:
pafan wrote:

No kidding, lighten up..he said "SIU Fans" not TSmith. I don't know what the overall consensus in Carbondale is for Barry, but there is a "Fire Barry" thread on your message board that is clicking along at 433 pages. So yes, it is fair to say SIU fans have been showing disfavor with Barry.

Put me in the pro-Barry camp as well. I have said for years he is exactly the type of coach we need in Evansville. Small school that needs its former large fan base back. Proud of his program, entertaining as hell, and seems willing to go anywhere and anytime to speak about SIU. I can tell you an entitled, stubborn introvert, who feels above speaking to groups and students hasn't been working.

Hahahaha, Oh E-Villan, you make me laugh :P
BJJ, Muay Thai, and MMA.... (and MVC basketball).
TSmithBJJ
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby TSmithBJJ » February 4th, 2018, 12:15 pm

pafan wrote:

My apologies regarding my first response to you! I interpreted your comment completely wrong. You friend E-Villan on the other hand..... LOL :roll:
BJJ, Muay Thai, and MMA.... (and MVC basketball).
TSmithBJJ
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby James_SIU » February 4th, 2018, 4:08 pm

DirtyDale wrote:

Nice to see you enjoy mediocrity. If I was a fan of an opposing Valley team I would love for Barry to stay, also. He doesn’t pose a real threat to assemble and/or coach an NCAA tourney quality team.

It’s not about enjoying mediocrity. It’s about tempering expectations. The university has absolutely no money right now. Barry is coaching for pennies. Even if we found a top notch coach we wouldn’t be able to keep him for two minutes before he would leave for a better job.

Assuming we have a team with 9 seniors next year and we struggle through the valley all year my opinion will probably change. For now Barry is the best we can hope for.

Also that Fire Barry Thread and some other undesirables is why I haven’t even been on the SIU forums in years.
James_SIU
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball