2018 MVC - Week 6

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: 2018 MVC - Week 6

Postby VUGrad1314 » February 1st, 2018, 8:25 pm

Rambler63 wrote:
ptownbraves wrote:The biggest win in Peoria in over a decade.

Really? What about beating #19 UNI on Feb 13, 2010?

Less than five years ago, a lot of Bradley people thought that adding Loyola to the league was a catastrophic mistake. Just last Spring, a roundtable of eight MVC beat writers had a consensus more or less that adding Loyola was a failed experiment, an unfortunate mistake, or the best of some bad options.

Now it's the biggest win in Peoria in over a decade? Or as Dave Reynolds, PJS Bradley beat writer and firm Loyola skeptic wrote this morning, "one of their biggest regular-season wins in, oh, a decade or two."

I'd like to see just ONE of the newspaper columnists who used a barrel of ink to denigrate Loyola for a couple of years write a ONE SENTENCE mea culpa. It won't make up for how crappy they made Loyola fans feel for several years, but it would be a nice peace-making gesture.

For whatever it's worth, which is probably nothing, here's one from a Valpo fan: when Loyola was chosen over Valpo to replace Creighton in 2013, I was absolutely livid. I couldn't believe that the MVC had taken what I perceived as a consistently noncompetitive program with no discernible commitment to basketball for what seemed like nothing more than market; while Valpo, which had consistently beaten Loyola; and was at the time fresh off two consecutive HL titles and one berth each in the Tournament and the NIT, was left on the outside looking in. Then, Loyola won the CBI, and I began to take notice. I could see the talent coming in and knew that their commitment was clearly up from where it was in the HL. Their record also became steadily better overall. Still, this year was the" prove it" year that I needed in order to be fully convinced. Then they beat Florida on the road for what might have been the conference's best nonconference win this year, and I knew the hype was real and that Loyola had turned the corner as a program. The standings speak volumes: Loyola can compete in the MVC, and the relative youth of most of their best and most promising players suggest that they've got staying power. If that's not a creditable add, I don't know what one is. The only knock on them right now is low attendance at home games, but I'm sure a couple more successful competitive years will help with that. Hopefully, Valpo follows suit and gets competitive in the MVC soon.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Mikovio » February 2nd, 2018, 7:40 am

Pretty sure Bradley wasn't trying to keep Loyola out. If anything we were one of Loyola's biggest proponents in the expansion. The biggest detractor has since left the conference and is happily losing to Temple. I was one of the few on here arguing for them. Glad we did that instead of Oral Bob to make the Shockers happy. Loyola's deep pockets and locale make it a sleeping giant, and it'll be interesting to see how hard they fight to keep Moser if they make the Dance and the big fish come calling. I'm hopeful they'll put together a big contract in that case. Edit: I'll add, being able to keep coaches is even more important in light of the proposed NCAA rule to allow transfers without penalties if the coach leaves.

Huge win, let's do it again March 4th. Hopefully we get a huge crowd Saturday for Drake.
Mikovio
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdsEyeView » February 2nd, 2018, 8:41 am

Gotta love the optimism of the Bradley faithful back on this board again.

I am excited to watch the ISUr @ Bradley game on Feb 14th. For the first time in years, the game could potentially have meaning again!
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Majik45 » February 2nd, 2018, 8:50 am

BirdsEyeView wrote:Gotta love the optimism of the Bradley faithful back on this board again.

I am excited to watch the ISUr @ Bradley game on Feb 14th. For the first time in years, the game could potentially have meaning again!

And maybe we could get replicate 2001, Bradley vs. ISU in the #2 vs. #3 game on Saturday, winner gets to play for the NCAA's the next day.
Majik45
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdsEyeView » February 2nd, 2018, 9:22 am

Majik45 wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:Gotta love the optimism of the Bradley faithful back on this board again.

And maybe we could get replicate 2001, Bradley vs. ISU in the #2 vs. #3 game on Saturday, winner gets to play for the NCAA's the next day.

Why not just play each other on Sunday? Aim higher!
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby bufan42 » February 2nd, 2018, 11:29 am

BirdsEyeView wrote:
Majik45 wrote:

Because in All probability BU is getting 2nd and ISU is getting 3rd so that would lead to a semi final matchup.

(But if we end up tied the RPI will be neck and neck and ISU could get the 2 seed)
bufan42
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby musiccitybulldog » February 2nd, 2018, 11:32 am

BirdsEyeView wrote:
Majik45 wrote:

I am sure Sunday of the tournament there will be lines of cars heading to St. Louis Sunday morning. With fans that had no idea they would be going. Long lines at the ticket windows. Big Crowds with lots of noise.
Last edited by musiccitybulldog on February 2nd, 2018, 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Old School MVC » February 2nd, 2018, 11:53 am

ON a side note, I wonder how Wichita will travel to their conference tourney in Orlando. They always had a great following at St. Louis, but Orlando is a different story.

I am not going to lie, it does not bother me to see the Shockers struggle this year. I know a lot of people thought it might make us look better if they ran the table in their conference, but I for one never have and never will root for them!!
Old School MVC
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Majik45 » February 2nd, 2018, 3:01 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:
Majik45 wrote:

I don't think either of us is catching Loyola to get to the #1 seed. I guess we could have a Sunday match-up of #4/5 vs. #2/3 depending on the seeds.
Majik45
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdsEyeView » February 2nd, 2018, 3:47 pm

Majik45 wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:
Majik45 wrote:

I don't think either of us is catching Loyola to get to the #1 seed. I guess we could have a Sunday match-up of #4/5 vs. #2/3 depending on the seeds.

Exactly
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball