Early Look Ahead

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Early Look Ahead

Postby ThisIsTheLineup » February 5th, 2018, 7:48 am

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:Malik. Whether it be NBA or P6. He will most definitely at least test the NBA as he is currently projected to be a second round pick.

MILIK* MILIK* MILIK*

If you guys are going to start making your own rumors about him at least spell his name right.
2017-2018 MVC Regular Season Pick ‘em Champ
Go You Redbirds!
ThisIsTheLineup
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » February 5th, 2018, 9:15 am

ThisIsTheLineup wrote:
Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:Malik. Whether it be NBA or P6. He will most definitely at least test the NBA as he is currently projected to be a second round pick.

MILIK* MILIK* MILIK*

If you guys are going to start making your own rumors about him at least spell his name right.

Sorry, I don't know how to spell everyone's name. What I do know though is that he is actually listed in a mock draft in the second round from ESPN. Talk to them about making up rumors. No way he goes to the NBA though. Although I do think he'll test the waters like Alize did to get feedback. He will transfer to a power conference.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby valleyclimber » February 5th, 2018, 9:40 am

The whole idea of talented MVC players transferring to P5 schools has always puzzled me as there are plenty of NBA scouts checking out players that hoop in the Valley. Not sure why a player would want to chance it with a marginal P5 team if they have an opportunity to play at a Valley school that's completely loaded.

They'll be some that disagree, but I'm just not seeing it as a smart move for a player that could really shine at a Valley school and be seen by plenty of NBA scouts.

Anyhoo....rock on MVC! :buddies:
valleyclimber
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BirdsEyeView » February 5th, 2018, 9:44 am

valleyclimber wrote:The whole idea of talented MVC players transferring to P5 schools has always puzzled me as there are plenty of NBA scouts checking out players that hoop in the Valley. Not sure why a player would want to chance it with a marginal P5 team if they have an opportunity to play at a Valley school that's completely loaded.

They'll be some that disagree, but I'm just not seeing it as a smart move for a player that could really shine at a Valley school and be seen by plenty of NBA scouts.

Agreed. And to just assume players will leave because of their talent is simply hypothetical. Alize stuck around despite his clear talent on a poorly coached team. He has lots of scouts at all of his games.

Did McIntosh really improve his stock as an NBA player by leaving to go to Oregon?
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » February 5th, 2018, 9:52 am

BirdsEyeView wrote:
valleyclimber wrote:The whole idea of talented MVC players transferring to P5 schools has always puzzled me as there are plenty of NBA scouts checking out players that hoop in the Valley. Not sure why a player would want to chance it with a marginal P5 team if they have an opportunity to play at a Valley school that's completely loaded.

Agreed. And to just assume players will leave because of their talent is simply hypothetical. Alize stuck around despite his clear talent on a poorly coached team. He has lots of scouts at all of his games.

Did McIntosh really improve his stock as an NBA player by leaving to go to Oregon?

I'm sure averaging 9.7 points even in a power conference is not as good as 16 in the MVC.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aces44 » February 5th, 2018, 11:13 am

For what it’s worth. It is Addition by Subtraction with our current Senior Class. Assuming Ryan Taylor stays, getting our Sr class off the floor upgrades the talent level significantly for the Aces.
For better or worse, Marty is overly loyal even when the game itself doesn’t validate it.

The league is likely better as a whole and I expect the Aces to follow suit.
Aces44
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » February 5th, 2018, 11:49 am

There had to be 20 NBA people at Gentile Saturday
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby jturner38 » February 6th, 2018, 11:18 am

BCPanther wrote:
TSmithBJJ wrote:I see a lot of ISU and top 3 talk, but lets put the Redbird chatter aside for a moment. Who do you all have at the for the Top 3 spots in the MVC next year? (Too early to tell, but I'd like to know predictions)

1-SIU
2-Bradley
3-Loyola with Custer (Drop them to 6th if he leaves)
4-Illinois State
5-UNI
6-Indiana State
7-Evansville
8-Valpo
9-Drake
10-Missouri State

Idk if UNI will jump up that much. But let's say this was a fluke year. I'd swap INSU and UNI. Other than that I'm good with this as an early prediction.
jturner38
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Adunk33 » February 7th, 2018, 9:58 am

Redhawk wrote:
Blers wrote: I would take last years trio + Willis over next seasons group (at this point).

I respectfully disagree with you. Consider that you are comparing Senior seasons last year to Junior seasons of the current trio.

In my mind next year:
Fayne > Hawkins
Yarbrough > McIntosh
Paris = Evans ( Paris better defense/Key better offense)
Copeland > Willis

Plus the balance of the rotation will be considerably better with Williams, Tinsley, Bruninga, Clarance & King David. If Milik stays top 3 no problem. If he leaves still top 5.

Copeland will need to be STOUT on defense to be considered better than WILLS** Fayne and Hawkins are very different players. Fayne isn't going to put up 3's, Bruninga is a better comparison to Hawkins. I'm guessing with all things considered, most people would take Bruninga's career over Hawkins'.

Everything I have heard leads to Milik doing what Alize did. Entering the draft without an agent, seeing what he needs to improve on, and then coming back. One source has even told me, "Milik is tired of transferring." He actually wanted to come to ISU out of high school but his mom convinced him otherwise.

Most of my comments about Mikyle McIntosh last year included the following disclaimer: remember, he sat out his first year here. I was not surprised that he transferred though he was planning to go pro. Oregon came in at the last hour and swooped him up. Oregon had that Canadian connection. They had 3 players from the Great White North last season, including long time friend Dylan Ennis.

Last thing about next year's ISU team. The Redbirds continue to recruit though they are essentially over booked by one scholarship. Obviously, we know that college basketball is crazy and things change. If this team stays together, there is another piece to the puzzle who hasn't been mentioned on this thread. The pride of LeRoy, IL. Loyola transfer, Matt Chastain. Chastain is a walk-on (inter-conference transfer rules) right now but will likely be a scholarship recipient, and a sophomore next year. He is back to full practice after ending his season with an injury at Loyola. Muller loves Chastain and Copeland. He calls them "every day guys." They are two of the hardest workers on the team and if you watch pregame, you'll see them at center court with Keyshawn and Phil in the pregame captains' meeting.

Next year is a long way away and things change. It's fun to think about though!
Adunk33
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Dansen » February 7th, 2018, 3:28 pm

Adunk33 wrote:
The pride of LeRoy, IL. Loyola transfer, Matt Chastain. Chastain is a walk-on (inter-conference transfer rules) right now but will likely be a scholarship recipient, and a sophomore next year. He is back to full practice after ending his season with an injury at Loyola. Muller loves Chastain and Copeland. He calls them "every day guys." They are two of the hardest workers on the team and if you watch pregame, you'll see them at center court with Keyshawn and Phil in the pregame captains' meeting.

As a Loyola fan, hearing about Chastain always makes me a little sad. We were so high on him, but he got hurt right away, didn't really like the city life, and wanted to be closer to home. Very understandable, we just weren't a good fit.

But then I think about the recruits we've gotten since then for next year and I feel a lot beter 8-)
Dansen
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball